Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommended microphone

Default Recommended microphone

Hi

I'm looking for a microphone that is very directional, and has very good gain.

In essence I want to use it for speeches, in the knowledge that the person who will be using it won't hold it close to their mouth.

Most "normal" microphones require it to be very close to the mouth to get a decent sound from it - more than a few inches away and you really don't get any gain from it.

Any recommendations? Wired or wireless...

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post

Headworn PG48.

With the stipulation that it has to pick up voice from somewhere around waist level, Sorry, I have no idea.

Some light reading.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

I try and tell them to hold it near their mouth before handing it over. Not much else you can do without getting feedback... As far as I know. Unless they are well clear of a speaker then you might be able to turn the gain up...

The only thing I've really noticed between mics is some have "suspension" meaning movement barely makes a sound... Cheaper ones don't and are noisy in the hand!

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Maybe a mic stand? Puts the mic at least near the correct level.

If you want brilliant radio mic, without bursting the bank try one of these http://www.thomann.de/gb/line6_xdv35.htm

They are much better than a shure beta! With regards to picking up sound from a distance from the mouth- those cheapo novo pro things seem to do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by ukpartydj View Post
    I try and tell them to hold it near their mouth before handing it over. Not much else you can do without getting feedback... As far as I know. Unless they are well clear of a speaker then you might be able to turn the gain up...

The only thing I've really noticed between mics is some have "suspension" meaning movement barely makes a sound... Cheaper ones don't and are noisy in the hand!
    In my world if they don't put it close enough to their gob nobody gets to hear them. They then turn to look at me as if to say "is it working?" and I mimic how they should be holding it. Ahhhhh!

I was thinking more along the lines of the mics used at awards ceremonies - those are often quite a distance away from the speaker (far further than a radio mic would provide any useful output!).

So was looking for a hand held version of one of those?

Hi

I'm looking for a microphone that is very directional, and has very good gain.

In essence I want to use it for speeches, in the knowledge that the person who will be using it won't hold it close to their mouth.

Most "normal" microphones require it to be very close to the mouth to get a decent sound from it - more than a few inches away and you really don't get any gain from it.

These do exist of course--its what the film makers and Television Companies use on poles with big protectors on them--we saw them the other day filming Come Dine with me-- outside. Several feet away from the subject.

No doubt cost a fortune.

It might be worth buying a pretty good quality radio mike-- Shure, JTS or of course KAM which will have loads of gain----and educate the person using it.

I give a demo before handing it over.

I sometimes make handsigns to them when the mike gets down to the navel

The problem? Other than those use to public speaking--they get stressed and forget what you told them

I was thinking more along the lines of the mics used at awards ceremonies - those are often quite a distance away from the speaker (far further than a radio mic would provide any useful output!).

The ones they use on t.v are sennheiser and they do cost a pretty penny. Most presenters often have a lapel also which picks up from distance no worries, but a lapel thats not sennheiser, shall feedback big time! Best to steer clear of them imho.

With regards to shure- fantastic wired mics, but sennheiser is the daddy of radio mics.

Nah. Wayy too expensive. A pair of podium mikes might do the job, they're hyper-cardioid & stuff. And still not really much more than a foot away from the orator.

And on the likes of X factor where Dermot O Deary is blathering at a Sennheiser, it's usually OFF & his lapel mic is doing its job. They can't be trusted to hold a mic right either

Back to my simple rule - you don't hold the damn thing close enough, it won't work. It's as easy as that. If you had enough gain on it so it'd work from 2 feet away from somebody's mouth (assuming it didn't feed back) you might have a job on your hands if somebody used it properly.
    Last edited by Nakatomi; 20-01-2016 at 11:18 PM.