Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New website

Quote Originally Posted by DeckstarDeluxe View Post
    "As well as being one of the best wedding and party DJs in Scotland"

I would get rid of this, how can you possibly state this, I just roll my eyes whenever I see statements like this.

Instead something worded more like a vastly experienced DJ who has catered for all tastes and played in all the renown wedding venues in the area etc..

The photos in the about area I would change if you have ones with you and guests/bride/grooms that don't look staged or cheesy, or just stick with one good photo (thing you use on on the main about thumbnail which is nice)

Good effort for a DIY site though. I would get "non DJ" people to look at it and give their first five second impressions though as that's what counts ultimately.
    I said one of the best and I'll gladly put myself up against any other wedding or party DJ around here so there's nowt wrong putting it on in my opinion and there's plenty of the experienced pro chat elsewhere on the site.

None of my photos are staged with the exception of the group shots. I personally cringe when I see posed photos of the dj and couple so that won't be happening any time soon, horses for courses.

Feedback from DJs, clients and others has been unilaterally positive.

Quote Originally Posted by DeckstarDeluxe View Post
    We used to build up some of our DJ's just for a laugh.

"Ladies and gentlemen we are going to have a change of DJ's now. Please welcome all the way from Los Angeles Junior Roscoe !"

Have only checked on desktop but it seems like it's trying to be responsive, but something is stopping it from being fully so...

Quote Originally Posted by Marc J View Post
    Have only checked on desktop but it seems like it's trying to be responsive, but something is stopping it from being fully so...
    No clue what that means :/

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    Ita what they call it if it responds to mobile phones easily. Ie fits the screen well. Its really important for your google ranking these days. Nice site Jim! Unfortunately with the whole seo.thing, you may well have to change headers etc.

But just make sure each page has a page title in the edit section.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    Basically, Marc's observed that the size of the page border changes as the browser window is resized but when you reduce the window width beyond a certain point the layout stays the same like this:

Name:  Image1.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  33.9 KB

Whereas with my attempt at a site, this is what users of different browser sizes (i.e. different devices) will see.. the layout adapts itself to the screen/window size. I'll put my hands up & say I didn't code any of the responsive stuff - it comes with the WP theme I use:

Name:  Image6.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  59.0 KB

It's very important these days to work well on mobile screens (without zooming & scrolling loads), so people keep saying anyway. The stats bear this out though.. a large proportion of the users hitting my site are in mobile browsers.

You have very little meta data meaning search engines will not rank this site highly.

Summary below:

This tab shows search engine guideline violations, and pages that don't follow search optimization best practices.

Status Summary
    Failure Google Search Guidelines - Some pages violate these guidelines.
    Failure Bing Search Guidelines - Some pages violate these guidelines.
    Failure Yahoo Search Guidelines - Some pages violate these guidelines.

Priority 1 Issues

Critical Offer an HTML site map to your users with links that point to the important parts of your site. Links embedded in menus, list boxes, and similar elements are not accessible to web crawlers unless they appear in your site map. If the site map is larger than 100 or so links, you may want to break the site map into separate pages.

Critical This page has no H1 element, which violates Bing webmaster guidelines.
    Add an H1 element just before the main content describing the page.

Important No meta description tag found. Use a description tag that accurately describes the contents of a web page.
    A well-written meta description attracts more clicks in search results than an irrelevant or missing description.

To view a live version click below and the other findings:
    http://try.powermapper.com/Demo/View...d-8282afd6a601

Also you do say on your FAQ page:
    "I'm not going to make some baseless nonsense claim about being the best DJ in *insert wherever you like*"
    As mentioned taken from elsewhere:
    Nice design though it has to be said, just check that SEO out quickly or else the site may drop in googles ranking.

That's handy info to have (the google failure thing) How do do get that report? I want to check mine now!

Quote Originally Posted by musicology View Post
    That's handy info to have (the google failure thing) How do do get that report? I want to check mine now!
    You can get a 'free' SEO check from loads of places these days. Sometimes you have to sign up, sometimes you don't. In all cases, take what they report with a pinch of salt because they're ALL trying to sell services to improve your SEO. I looked into paying somebody - not even a big name & we'd have been talking about £200 a month.

I have a Wordpress plugin called Yoast which was free (a 'pro' version is available for money, who'd have guessed?) which can tell you a lot about how good your pages' SEO is. The first place to start is to make sure you've got good & relevant metadata.. title, keywords, description etc. Mind I'm not even sure how much weight Google gives to those these days since some people doing well in searches aren't set up properly in that department. Anyway it shouldn't take you long and it won't hurt to do it right.

You definitely should have a sitemap file though. This is an XML file (usually automatically generated) which describes the page layout of your site and the links within it. It helps search engines crawl your site. Google allegedly favours this method & while it won't shun parsing your site's own internal links it's given a much lower priority. Allegedly.

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    You can get a 'free' SEO check from loads of places these days. Sometimes you have to sign up, sometimes you don't. In all cases, take what they report with a pinch of salt because they're ALL trying to sell services to improve your SEO. I looked into paying somebody - not even a big name & we'd have been talking about £200 a month.

I have a Wordpress plugin called Yoast which was free (a 'pro' version is available for money, who'd have guessed?) which can tell you a lot about how good your pages' SEO is. The first place to start is to make sure you've got good & relevant metadata.. title, keywords, description etc. Mind I'm not even sure how much weight Google gives to those these days since some people doing well in searches aren't set up properly in that department. Anyway it shouldn't take you long and it won't hurt to do it right.

You definitely should have a sitemap file though. This is an XML file (usually automatically generated) which describes the page layout of your site and the links within it. It helps search engines crawl your site. Google allegedly favours this method & while it won't shun parsing your site's own internal links it's given a much lower priority. Allegedly.
    Thanks for the heads up. I'm completely new to all of this but I know once I integrate DJEP the next step is getting the SEO sorted.

I'm reading through a couple of textbooks just now that is making it a lot clearer about what I need to be doing (and definitely not doing) so I'll get there in time I'm sure.