Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pioneer DDJ SX Mic sound?

Default Pioneer DDJ SX Mic sound?

Been offered a cheap DDJ SX.

Some people report poor sound from the MIC.

My whole purpose of getting one (used) is to obtain 4 channels and dedicated mic channels.

Anyone here use one in the club/mobile .

Quote Originally Posted by mrrawuk View Post
    Been offered a cheap DDJ SX.

Some people report poor sound from the MIC.

My whole purpose of getting one (used) is to obtain 4 channels and dedicated mic channels.

Anyone here use one in the club/mobile .
    Good controller,but lousy for microphone,have a look for a used Pioneer DJM 5000 really good for microphone with lots of controls.

I've not experienced issues with the mic channel personally, I am not a heavy mic user though. Normally 4 or 5 times a night for announcements.

It doesn't have dedicated mic channel which is annoying. However 3 EQs and filter are good enough for most and I was concerned / annoyied about this but in fact I don't miss the extra deck personally.

DJ series mixers would no doubt be better, loved my djm600 / 800 but too much hassle for too little gain for me.

Only had ddjsx for 3 gigs so far and I find I'm much more comfortable and confident with it compared to mc6000. I learnt with pioneer though and have had many of there products before.

Check the channel faders thoughly when buying, I bought a 2nd hand one and they had a slight bleed which whilst wasn't a huge issue irritated me so much I bought another 2nd hand one without the issue... Replacing all faders would cost around £100 from my local repair shop.

Oh also you can sort of still play music through the 4th deck when it's selected as mic... Odd but I've not played around too much with that!

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Quote Originally Posted by ukpartydj View Post
    I've not experienced issues with the mic channel personally, I am not a heavy mic user though. Normally 4 or 5 times a night for announcements.

It doesn't have dedicated mic channel which is annoying. However 3 EQs and filter are good enough for most and I was concerned / annoyied about this but in fact I don't miss the extra deck personally.

DJ series mixers would no doubt be better, loved my djm600 / 800 but too much hassle for too little gain for me.

Only had ddjsx for 3 gigs so far and I find I'm much more comfortable and confident with it compared to mc6000. I learnt with pioneer though and have had many of there products before.

Check the channel faders thoughly when buying, I bought a 2nd hand one and they had a slight bleed which whilst wasn't a huge issue irritated me so much I bought another 2nd hand one without the issue... Replacing all faders would cost around £100 from my local repair shop.

Oh also you can sort of still play music through the 4th deck when it's selected as mic... Odd but I've not played around too much with that!

Cheers for that. I saw a youtube video of a guy using it and when he raised his voice it badly distorted. I have use a DDJ SX a few times but not used the mic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNLbtnkWGM0
    Last edited by mrrawuk; 03-02-2016 at 01:14 PM.

Cheers for that. I saw a youtube video of a guy using it and when he raised his voice it badly distorted. I have use a DDJ SX a few times but not used the mic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNLbtnkWGM0
    He's peaking at what looks like 3 LEDs over 0db at points when he's talking normally through his box and is claiming it sounds good.
    If he's raising his voice I'm gonna assume it's over 3 LEDs which is obviously going to distort.

Some mixers handle this much better (not sure why) like my old DJM600 could be running at +6db and before I noticed anything and nothing major until something like +10db if my memory serves me well.
    No excuse though!

He's peaking at what looks like 3 LEDs over 0db at points when he's talking normally through his box and is claiming it sounds good.
    If he's raising his voice I'm gonna assume it's over 3 LEDs which is obviously going to distort.

Some mixers handle this much better (not sure why) like my old DJM600 could be running at +6db and before I noticed anything and nothing major until something like +10db if my memory serves me well.
    No excuse though!
    I did use the DDJ SX and as i pull the sound right down i did not have any real issues.

I am now buying a friends DDJ SX and he's used it 5 times. I think i used it more than him in the club. No marks and inc a bag.

I did use the DDJ SX and as i pull the sound right down i did not have any real issues.

I am now buying a friends DDJ SX and he's used it 5 times. I think i used it more than him in the club. No marks and inc a bag.
    Just read that it's a bit fussy about the mics you input into it "low impedance only" rated at -52dbu they recommend. Mine is -53dbu so I don't have any issues. If you experience issues add an anntenuator to get your mic close to - 52dbu they suggest on serato site.

Maybe other mixers can accept wider variations. Still should be able to just turn it down though... Lol

Default MIC

Just read that it's a bit fussy about the mics you input into it "low impedance only" rated at -52dbu they recommend. Mine is -53dbu so I don't have any issues. If you experience issues add an anntenuator to get your mic close to - 52dbu they suggest on serato site.

Maybe other mixers can accept wider variations. Still should be able to just turn it down though... Lol
    SM58 all the way for me.

I am going to carry a small Alto mixer as a backup with an audio 2 sound card. If i get any problems i will run the second mixer.

I used to have a DDJ SX and played on it regularly for http://www.247house.fm radio (I still do!). I never had any problems with the mic, but I did have a good quality mic too. Also, it's much easier to peak on mics than it is on a deck and I think this is the problem people have.

I turn the bass way down and turn the treble down a touch to avoid "essing", this worked for me with some practice - but I would imagine that everyone's voice needs to be EQ'd independently

I have a DDJ-SX2 and use a channel for a mic constantly, I'm not a trendy DJ so do actually speak during the night and i've never experienced any issues at all - I use a Radio mic system and have the gains around 50% - surely the key is to soundcheck properly before you begin