Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying a van

Default Buying a van

After the recent post about a van, highlighting the safety issues with a car transporting gear, I'm looking to get a van soon.

Am looking at one of the smaller vans, eg a Citroen Berlingo, Pegeot Blipper etc. Looking for the budget end.

But I'm not a great mechanic.

So what am I looking for in a van? What do I want to avoid? What mileage is "reasonable"?

And what aspects of a van could fail that would cause it to fail on a journey to a gig? The obvious one to me is the cam belt - so I'd look to replace the cam belt and water pump on any van I buy (most have little service history documentation).

Is there anything else I'd need to replace to increase reliability?

From experience...buy from a main dealer, the newest you can afford and make sure you get warranty and so on.

I've got a Peugeot Partner, similar to the berlingo. Mountains of room inside.
    just ian
    Wedding DJ - DISCOfever

And get in boarded out

Vans last for ages, I've known a sprinters engine last for 280k and still running fine, vivaro 260k before needed new engine. My old VW was on 180k when sold, my 2006 vivaro on 140k and costs me on average £200 servicing and £200 repairs / per year... To me that's perfectly reasonable. Although I just spent £150 on new cam belt so might be a little higher this year.

I personally wouldn't buy a van which is too new as the price depreciates very quickly from 0-80k miles... I think a van with 60k was double the price of my 100k when I bought! Knowing that in 3-4 years time it'd be on 100k anyway I felt it would have been silly for me.

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

They are just the same as buying a Desiel car really, except the insurance will be a load more.

I bought my last Astra van for £400, it had done 265,000 miles and was solid.
    Well it was until I drove it into a deep puddle/mini lake. The Partner before that cost £500 and was also fine.

If you don't know much about mechanics, then maybe a dealer is good, but you will pay much more.
    I would opt to getting someone who knows about vans to help you buy a good one privately.

I wold look at security (deadlocks/alarm) and a decent bulkhead and one with a turbo is good, as it will really annoy you.
    I would not go back to a gutless sack of and get a more powerful van. The Astra was pretty fast mind you. 2L DTI.

I would probably look at a Caddy if I was to buy another van.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

To be honest, should you buy a van that has been regularly serviced you should't have too much problem. Mileage isn't as important as on a car.

Once you buy one you will find what suits you and what doesn't - having it ply lined is great, however on mine it just has the floor lined and it is great as there are plenty of hooks on the sides still to strap things down.

You'll probably find once you get a van you won't look back, one of the best purchases I have made. It is a little costly if you need a car too, but well worth it if you can afford it. I couldn't for a lot of years, so like many, had to make do with cars and people carriers - the van is so much easier and the extra reassurance that your spare kit is out of sight on a night is worth it alone.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Consider contract hire. Better option than buying, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    I did, but I couldn't find anyone offering a twelve year old LDV at advantageous rates.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    I keep getting told that, even by my accountant so must be true - I just can't get my head round it though, prefer buying then no monthly outgoings.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

I spent £1,200 on an old Toyota Hiace SWB van this time last year, and she's the best thing I ever got.

She hasn't got a turbo (that's a big downside and when it comes to the time to replace, it's high on my list of things I want, along with air-con).
    Other than that, she's got 180,000 on the clock, and has literally acres of space in the back.

What to look for? No worse than buying a diesel car really (most vans are based on cars now anyway unless you're going for something of the Transit ilk), they're just built to last longer/work harder.

As for insurance....my van insurance is exactly the same amount as my car insurance on my MR2 and my Zafira. Maybe it's because I'm that little bit older (). I did query the £200 a year fully comp with the insurers last year when I got it (I was expecting four times that having heard other people moaning about it). They're fully aware of what it's for and what it's carrying and the documentation from them proves it.

We'll see what happens in a couple of weeks time when it's time to renew