Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying a van

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    Consider contract hire. Better option than buying, in my opinion.
    I would do that I think, good for a busy DJ, pays for itself and you upgrade every year or so by the sounds of things from other people I know leasing. Worth looking at what it costs per week and how much you have made on average per week for the last few years.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by ianforest View Post
    From experience...buy from a main dealer, the newest you can afford and make sure you get warranty and so on.

I've got a Peugeot Partner, similar to the berlingo. Mountains of room inside.
    Yes, it's more expensive but if you get a good warranty can be worth a fortune.

My Galaxy had something like 2 grands worth of repairs under Warranty ( that's gross retail cost) not trade.

Previous owner had let loads of things go to pot and the Dealer missed them on the trade in.

Also be wary of non high street traders who say things like---bring it back we will fix any faults--yeah great until I pointed out they could go bust tomorrow---oh no we won't go bust we are 30 years trading etc,

Rolls Royce anyone ???

You need the backing of an Insurance Warranty or a major name dealer Ford, Peugeot, VWetc.

Not Bob from Southend!,,,,,,,,

Also get a 3 year warranty if you can, I paid £400 and claimed back £1000 after turbo went !!!!!

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    I keep getting told that, even by my accountant so must be true - I just can't get my head round it though, prefer buying then no monthly outgoings.
    "If it appreciates, buy it. If it depreciates, lease it."

My new van should be coming off the production line at the end of this month and I went with contract hire over keeping my current van because I worked out that while it may cost me more to run on a month-to-month basis, come the end of the year and the arrival of tax time, I will save overall.

I've gone for a three year term and come the end of that, I'll just give the van back without the hassle of trying to sell it on for a fraction of a fraction that I would have purchased it for and I'll get to say "Thanks very much, it's been emotional. I'll have that new one over there now please."

Totally agree. For me though I drive an older van - only cost £1500 and does what is required. I can't see the point in me leasing a new van to do exactly the same job, just newer.

I rather use an older van and have a nice car - admittedly financially probably not the wisest move lol
    Last edited by Excalibur; 05-02-2016 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Fixed quote
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Alternatively, find one that's pretty much finished depreciating.

I've gone for a three year term and come the end of that, I'll just give the van back without the hassle of trying to sell it on for a fraction of a fraction that I would have purchased it for and I'll get to say "Thanks very much, it's been emotional. I'll have that new one over there now please."
    Just a note of caution, Benny. If you take it back looking like it's come straight out of the local Stock Cars Demolition Derby, there will be penalties, probably big ones. Check the annual mileage on your current vehicle also, as if you exceed a mileage limit ( if one is imposed ) it's penalty time again.

There was a famous story locally about a police force which boasted of the money it had saved on a new leasing deal. Sadly, the negotiators of the deal didn't know how many miles a year police cars do, and since they all hit the limits way before renewal, they ended up with hundreds of police cars parked upon an aerodrome that they couldn't afford to use, because they were approaching the limit.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Just a note of caution, Benny. If you take it back looking like it's come straight out of the local Stock Cars Demolition Derby, there will be penalties, probably big ones. Check the annual mileage on your current vehicle also, as if you exceed a mileage limit ( if one is imposed ) it's penalty time again.
    Already way ahead of you there, kind sir.

I brought mine and it still comes off my tax at the end of the year, I was also worried about extra charges being added on for bumps/mileage etc. Intrest rates are very low so my accountant said there is not much difference between them all. Plus its mine which I wanted

Quote Originally Posted by surround sounds View Post
    I brought mine and it still comes off my tax at the end of the year, I was also worried about extra charges being added on for bumps/mileage etc. Intrest rates are very low so my accountant said there is not much difference between them all. Plus its mine which I wanted
    Many years ago, when I got my first laptop, leasing was way in front. Now I don't think it's a huge difference. The big advantage of a lease is that you know every month what you'll pay, exclusive of fuel. Mind you, it could be similar with new vans for the first few years.

You pays yer money..........................................
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Leasing is all right,but do not forget you will have to pay vat and i suspect that not many people on here are vat registered.

Default Electric Windows!!!

I love my Vivaro but a minor and very annoying regret is not going for a slightly higher spec van with electric windows. On a hot sunny day of which we seem to have more and more each year it's not possible to reach across and open/close the nearside window. Air con is not needed but electric windows yes please.
    www.djjules.co.uk
    Covering Essex, Kent, East and West Sussex and Surrey