Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Buying a van

Quote Originally Posted by TONYTIGER View Post
    Leasing is all right,but do not forget you will have to pay vat and i suspect that not many people on here are vat registered.
    I wish I made enough money to justify being VAT registered! (in time, dear boy, in time.. I hope).

I used a trailer for my first disco.
    I bought a trailer with sides and converted into a box trailer.
    Served me well for years.
    It has the advantage that you can take the trailer off the car when not in use.
    Although if not secured they are open to be pinched.

You need good suspension on a trailer so as not damage the gear going over bumps.
    I never had a failure in the good few years I used mine.
    Although I did put sensitive equipment like amps and mixers in the car boot.

The trailer was well balanced so I could take it off the car and spin it if required.

My only mishap was getting stuck in snow on the A6 road from Kendal to Shap summit after a Christmas do 4am finish.
    But managed to turn around and use motorway instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Crown Jules View Post
    I love my Vivaro but a minor and very annoying regret is not going for a slightly higher spec van with electric windows.
    Reason I'd like electric windows is so I can accost pedestrians for directions when I'm lost!! I've been known to stop the van and jump out.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by ckpr2 View Post
    I used a trailer for my first disco.
    It has the advantage that you can take the trailer off the car when not in use.
    Although if not secured they are open to be pinched.
    I liked my trailer as I used to have impreza's so I had a half decent car to drive during the week. Loved my last wagon, superb car for driving. Great for towing also being 4wd. They are dangerous though as they can destabilise the car and as you say very easy to nick/breakinto. I once hit a bend on one and the trailer skidded across the road. Any faster it would have pulled the car with it. the wheel also fell off once, en route to a gig.

Not sure the increase in insurance, but trailers do hold their value (I think I sold Daren's for more than i bought it for in the end?) and hold a lot of kit. The main issue is however trying to park and manoeuvre in tight spaces as you technically have a vehicle the size of a small lorry. I would not go back to one thats for sure, despite the benefits, with cost, load safety and being able to have a decent car.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

I can recommend a vw caddymax tdi if you can afford one, I get 50mpg if I drive nicely, but as its a company van its more like 42-45, feels like a car to drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Crown Jules View Post
    I love my Vivaro but a minor and very annoying regret is not going for a slightly higher spec van with electric windows. On a hot sunny day of which we seem to have more and more each year it's not possible to reach across and open/close the nearside window. Air con is not needed but electric windows yes please.
    Bad experiences leaves me disliking electric windows. More things to go wrong, bad connection and your window might open itself when locked - remote central locking = easy to forget to lock the van / accidently unlock whilst putting keys in pocket... I have manual secondary locks just incase. I'm quite careful yet on occasion I somehow forget / unlock accidently.

A lock with your phone would be awesome and solve the issue for me, maybe some sort of nfc/Bluetooth combo! Wonder of they've thought about this!?

As for leasing a van. I don't think it's cheaper. Say it's £165 per month that's 4 grand for 2 years.

Or you can buy a van for say 4 grand then sell in 2 years... For maybe 3 grand... Sooo it's great if you want a brand new van but a second hand van will be much cheaper.

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Quote Originally Posted by ukpartydj View Post

A lock with your phone would be awesome and solve the issue for me
    There are loads of phone security apps. i would not want to risk that and then loose my phone or the battery runs out!

http://www.redmondpie.com/carlock-is...curity-system/

there are separate security devices are also good you can lock and start it from a mile away!
    i thought about getting ones for my zafira, they are only £130, or even 50 for a cheapo one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/22184...s=true&ff13=80
    Last edited by yourdj; 07-02-2016 at 05:50 AM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    There are loads of phone security apps. i would not want to risk that and then loose my phone or the battery runs out!
    I see! That's not a bad idea with the alerts etc. I think with an app there is soo much you can do and it'll be much more secure than a key. I guess you could just have an Nfc chip to touch the car if battery is low.

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ukpartydj View Post
    As for leasing a van. I don't think it's cheaper. Say it's £165 per month that's 4 grand for 2 years.

Or you can buy a van for say 4 grand then sell in 2 years... For maybe 3 grand... Sooo it's great if you want a brand new van but a second hand van will be much cheaper.
    £165 a month which is mostly (if not fully) claimable come tax time, which means paying out less. Were you to buy the van and sell it, you may also have to pay tax on the £3k you get back for it (this is running on the assumption that the van would still be worth £3k after a DJ has ragged it for two years ).

Also, and I can't remember the specifics about this, but if you own a van (or any vehicle for your business), doesn't that effect how much you pay in tax? Something about it being an asset.

I think you can take a percentage off the value.
    I bought a new van a year ago. £8,400 plus the interest over 4 years.
    I am not sure exactly how it works as my missus does our accounts but you can claim a bit off it each year I think? (although, don't quote me on that)