Maybe if we'd heard the Black series in a different configuration it'd have been a different story. The bass was, it seemed to me, fairly muddy. The quality of bass out of the B52 was much better I thought. Nothing like as loud, but there was a lot of loud there on Sunday.

As Peter has said before he's heard 15" tops with 15" bins & wasn't enamoured with them. 12" tops with 15" or 18" bins, let us hear that. Or 15" tops with 18" bins.. put me in the queue waiting to audition them. In theory, the sub's crossover should deal with only giving the tops what it's not playing with - but that depends on where the mid/top cab's bass response starts and how steep the rolloff of the sub's crossover is. Too much overlap & there's gonna be mud.

That said, with Alto's iDevice app you can allegedly tweak the crossover frequency of the Black subs - maybe that's all it'd take - or simply adding an external active crossover to better tune them.

Anyway, my own subwoofer shopping is on hold again after building a space model of a sub I fancied & trying to fit it in my car with all my other stuff. D'oh. We're gonna need a bigger vehicle, Dave. Besides, do I really wanna be lugging an extra 40 kilos around just for a bit of boom boom boom every night?

What I'd expected to see on Sunday was a sound level meter somewhere so we could all get an idea how loud 'loud' was - and to judge the manufacturer on how much their specs lie. Maybe something to suggest for next time eh?