Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Coalville 2016, the unexpurgated truth!!

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    My learned friends above have given the technical answers, which are entirely correct, but may not help you in your choice.

Band pass cabs produce a different type of sound to bass reflex cabs. I'm not fond of it. I'd recommend hearing thje two side by side.

My numpty guide is that if you can see a speaker behind the grille, it's bass reflex, if you can only see slots, and no speaker cone, it's a band pass. That's only scratching the surface, but might help. In my humble opinion, bass reflex are more musical.
    I'm using the 705AS's and you have to be very careful what you pair them with. They're great at filling in the bottom end below my ART422A's, but if you pair them with anything that is less capable above 100hz then you end up with some odd gaps and you have to be very careful how you set the gains on the subs and tops (otherwise you can end up with bass notes that sound very loud and very out of place!)

They'll vibrate glasses off the bar at 20 paces though for the notes between 20hz and 100hz

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    I'm using the 705AS's and you have to be very careful what you pair them with.
    I'm on record as not liking RCF subs, but when we stuck some under Shaun's EV tops at Coalville every year, the result was very impressive.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    (otherwise you can end up with bass notes that sound very loud and very out of place!)

They'll vibrate glasses off the bar at 20 paces though for the notes between 20hz and 100hz

Julian
    Funny you should say that.... I'm still giving the RCF subs the benefit of the doubt cos I reckon there's more than a chance the system was only set up for kick & bass guitar before. Putting real music into it threw the sound guy. I say 'real' because the band was... er... hmm. Heh

I'm in LOVE!!!!!!

Just been and collected a brace of DXR8's. My first thought before they even turned them on in the shop was "these are silly little things.....they're not going to be what I've been lead to believe"

WRONG!

My jaw hit the floor - they're astounding!

I'll be getting a pair of DXS12's on Monday to go with them (I'm swapping my DSR118 for them) and can't wait to hear them all together.....

It's insane! How can something so tiny make so much noise? Even without a bin on them they're quite punchy.
    Methinks the DXR15's might be going into backup for most stuff now

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    I'm in LOVE!!!!!!

Just been and collected a brace of DXR8's. My first thought before they even turned them on in the shop was "these are silly little things.....they're not going to be what I've been lead to believe"

WRONG!

My jaw hit the floor - they're astounding!

I'll be getting a pair of DXS12's on Monday to go with them (I'm swapping my DSR118 for them) and can't wait to hear them all together.....

It's insane! How can something so tiny make so much noise? Even without a bin on them they're quite punchy.
    Methinks the DXR15's might be going into backup for most stuff now
    What did we tell you? They made a lot of folks jaws drop, I can tell you.

As far as I can see, the only possible flaw in your cunning plan is if you wished to use fifteen inch tops over twelve inch subs. Would it have offered more options to keep the eighteen inch sub, and get one twelve or fifteen?

I suspect your most often used rig will now be the eight inch tops with one or two twelve inch subs. I'd back the little fellas to cope with a big audience, even with my Alto sub. That's my wishlist PA at the moment.

As far as I can see, the only possible flaw in your cunning plan is if you wished to use fifteen inch tops over twelve inch subs. Would it have offered more options to keep the eighteen inch sub, and get one twelve or fifteen?
    Not going to happen. I've never put the DXR15's on top of anything, not even the DSR118. The only way they go up in the air is on hydraulic tripods (the sub used to live under the booth so that I could keep kicking it back into place when it went walkies during heavy rock sets). I'll be honest, I don't do an awful lot of stuff that needs something the size of an 18" sub (I tend to avoid 18th's, 21st's and young farmers)

I suspect your most often used rig will now be the eight inch tops with one or two twelve inch subs. I'd back the little fellas to cope with a big audience, even with my Alto sub. That's my wishlist PA at the moment.
    Correct. Two 8" tops on satellite poles from the 12" subs for symmetry. I suspect the 15's will now be used pretty much exclusively on my retro setup because they work well when they're sitting on the floor like we used to do it back then, and add a sort of "proper" look to that rig rather than having speakers in the air.

I've just fired the DXR8's up again.....I can't stop smiling about the power they've got. Even my teenage son is having trouble understanding how something so small can make such a good quality but loud noise

even with my Alto sub.
    What size is your Alto Sub Peter, whats the RMS output ?

I was enquiring about one at my DJ Shop today

thanks

ALAN

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY K View Post

I was enquiring about one at my DJ Shop today

thanks

ALAN
    600WRMS Alan.

123dB continuous.

If you already use 15" wooden tops it'd be debatable whether you'd even notice it.

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    600WRMS Alan.

123dB continuous.

If you already use 15" wooden tops it'd be debatable whether you'd even notice it.
    Im aiming for more overall output not just bass so that might work.

I feel a sound test down the Disco Shop coming on

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    Not going to happen. I've never put the DXR15's on top of anything, not even the DSR118.
    I fear you have misunderstood. Over in the sense of higher frequencies, rather than physically higher than. What I'm referring to is having smaller drivers in the subs than the tops, ie 15" tops, 12" subs. As a wise man once said " Ye cannae change the laws of physics".

Recently, we've seen in a lot of cases having equal sized drivers leading to a less than perfect sound. While I understand your wish for symetry, what I was meaning was that I felt that one 12" sub hidden under the deckstand would suffice with two 8" tops for most gigs, while you could upgrade to 18"/15" if you needed maximum noise.
    It would be interesting to hear what the 15" tops sounded like paired with the 15" tops, out of curiosity.

I understand the benefits of tops on poles over bins, it's so much prettier than tripods, and less of a trip hazard. Please keep us posted on your experiences. I'm keen to know what size of gigs the little fellas could cope with on their own. I suspect it's a sizeable number.

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY K View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    600WRMS Alan.

123dB continuous.

I'm not sure it's actually as much as that, Justin. Davesounds had it to bits to check why it wasn't shaking the glasses off the bar, and the simple reason is, it hasn't got a very big engine.

Alan, " suck it and see " is the best option. I'm not overly optimistic though, mainly because of what you're trying to connect it to. Good luck.