Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LD Systems Maui 5

Default LD Systems Maui 5

After hearing and being impressed with a single Maui 5 I went and bought a pair of them.

Used them for first time at a 30th birthday party in a small pub with around 60 guests though I reckon there was nearer 80. Had one side of my Evox 8 with me just in case.

At just under 11kg’s per side they were a very easy load-in (I’ve owned heavier lights!) and quick to set-up.

Music ranged from 1920’s (it was a themed party with everyone dressed for the occasion) to 70’s disco, 80’s, Indie. Rock etc. so a broad range of music styles.

First impressions in an empty venue were good, they filled the room and sounded very nice, as more people arrived and it got noisier I started to increase the volume to above background levels (with frequent walks out front to check how they sounded) - so far so good.

After the cake and a few verses of happy birthday the party proper started and I cranked them up.

They handled everything I played really well and were easily loud enough with decent bass bass considering they were 8” drivers.
    I could see people at the furthest part of the room from me having a good dance, so I know they were reaching them.
    I couldn’t get the limiter light to flicker even when I turned the bass up full on the Maui - at one point the manager asked me to turn the bass down due to it being a residential area.

I reckon there was a fair bit more I could’ve pushed them before the limiter kicked in, I tried creeping the volume up during the night but it go too loud before I reached that point (really want to take them somewhere and push them to their limit now just to see what they can do).

The only downside to them is that it wouldn’t take much to topple over, so placing them away from clumsy guests is a must.

So I’m pleased with them, if anything they exceeded my expectations, for small venues and events that require more restrained volume levels they’re perfect. At a push I don’t think they’d embarrass themselves as an emergency back-up for larger gigs either.

And used singly they’re ideal for ceremonies, cocktail background, speeches, etc. They also have separate inputs for a mic and guitar with separate volume controls (so very basic mixing is possible) - put my electric guitar through one and it sounded really good.

The bar manager also commented on how nice and neat the set-up was compared to what other DJ’s bring in (mind you they had a table ready for me so that probably isn’t saying much!).

I desperately want to hear a pair. So far, I've only heard solo units.
    Martin, your review comes as no surprise. They seem to punch well above their weight. I can envisage many possible uses for them also, and I agree they do look as if they could be easily toppled.

Would I buy a pair? I really fancy a pair, but I think the little Yamahas might just shade them for my purposes.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    mind you they had a table ready for me so that probably isn’t saying much.
    it does say a lot, but I hardly ever see it these days in my local hotels, which is good. Booths are so cheap and social media is everywhere so there is no excuse to use a table really. However they could use a screen perhaps, which if they know the venue and know there will be one there, its not too bad, for a more budget operator? Its when they have no screen/cloth and have wires hanging all over the place, that it looks really bad.

I would love to see a table DJ's face when he turns up in a marquee and there are no spare tables!!

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Would I buy a pair? I really fancy a pair, but I think the little Yamahas might just shade them for my purposes.
    The main use i would get out of a pair would be:

a: They project sound well, so ideal for meal background etc.
    b: they look good (the white ones), so ideal for ceremonies.

Other than that my Yamaha and RCF's are fit for purpose.

I remember my venue manager saying "Oh the man you supplied last week had lovely speakers"
    There is me standing with a brand spanking new Yamaha thinking "yes thanks for that".
    Last edited by yourdj; 14-02-2016 at 04:32 PM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

As regards the worry of them being knocked over (and with a vested interest in buying a pair of smaller lighter speakers) has anyone heard or used the Maui 11. Slightly more power, slightly heavier and look a bit more rugged and stable.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/ld_systems_maui_11.htm

I imagine one could very easily make bases for these, or have some made out of metal quite cheaply. Maybe it's something LD already offer...

Quote Originally Posted by DJColsie View Post
    As regards the worry of them being knocked over (and with a vested interest in buying a pair of smaller lighter speakers) has anyone heard or used the Maui 11. Slightly more power, slightly heavier and look a bit more rugged and stable.

There are no stability issues with the 11
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Quote Originally Posted by DJColsie View Post

Someone did lurch into on of my Muai 5’s - it wobbled but it didn’t look like it was too close to going over, they’re not so unstable as to be a major issue so with a bit of common sense in placing them they’ll be fine.

Just an update on how handy they are - wedding next week in a tiny venue with difficult access (Central London, so quick park-up and load-in essential), lovely decor so a very minimal looking set-up required, and a much larger wedding later in the year needing a smaller separate system in another room (this add-on alone has nearly paid for them), and a BBQ party in the summer where I’ll have my main system indoors and one Maui 5 outside.

you should check out the LD curve.

Second party using the Maui 5’s.

Wedding in a small bar in a very nice private club in London, about 60 guests.

The bar was split into two rooms with a short narrower connecting corridor, and though I couldn’t see the comfy sofa snug bar where everyone stayed for the first few hours the bride kept coming in to tell me that everyone was dancing and enjoying the music in there, so the throw was good.

Once everyone joined me the volume was ample, didn’t need to have them up full and they coped with everything I threw at them, managed to get the limiter light to flicker by turning the bass right up on Prodigy’s Out Of Space, and it still sounded in control and musical (not like a small speaker being pushed too far).

Even had someone complimenting me on the quality of the sound (was playing New Order's Temptation at the time, and must admit I was hearing details I hadn’t noticed before) and when I pointed out the Maui's they want and got their friends as they couldn’t believe what was coming out of them.

Now after two gigs I'm very confident they can handle any party playing any music with around 60 - 70 guests and I’d even consider them for larger events where room filling volume wasn’t necessary.

Unloading and loading them was a breeze in the middle of a very busy Saturday night in Soho with the streets swarming with people, this is exactly the sort of scenario I wanted them for.

Now should I risk using Bluetooth with them at a live gig? They’ve been fine at home, no drop outs and no discernible lag. The thought of being able to place them anywhere in a venue with no cables running back to me is very tempting.
    Last edited by funkymook; 22-02-2016 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian A Crossland View Post
    you should check out the LD curve.
    TBH the Maui 5 blows them out of the water.
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries