After hearing and being impressed with a single Maui 5 I went and bought a pair of them.

Used them for first time at a 30th birthday party in a small pub with around 60 guests though I reckon there was nearer 80. Had one side of my Evox 8 with me just in case.

At just under 11kg’s per side they were a very easy load-in (I’ve owned heavier lights!) and quick to set-up.

Music ranged from 1920’s (it was a themed party with everyone dressed for the occasion) to 70’s disco, 80’s, Indie. Rock etc. so a broad range of music styles.

First impressions in an empty venue were good, they filled the room and sounded very nice, as more people arrived and it got noisier I started to increase the volume to above background levels (with frequent walks out front to check how they sounded) - so far so good.

After the cake and a few verses of happy birthday the party proper started and I cranked them up.

They handled everything I played really well and were easily loud enough with decent bass bass considering they were 8” drivers.
I could see people at the furthest part of the room from me having a good dance, so I know they were reaching them.
I couldn’t get the limiter light to flicker even when I turned the bass up full on the Maui - at one point the manager asked me to turn the bass down due to it being a residential area.

I reckon there was a fair bit more I could’ve pushed them before the limiter kicked in, I tried creeping the volume up during the night but it go too loud before I reached that point (really want to take them somewhere and push them to their limit now just to see what they can do).

The only downside to them is that it wouldn’t take much to topple over, so placing them away from clumsy guests is a must.

So I’m pleased with them, if anything they exceeded my expectations, for small venues and events that require more restrained volume levels they’re perfect. At a push I don’t think they’d embarrass themselves as an emergency back-up for larger gigs either.

And used singly they’re ideal for ceremonies, cocktail background, speeches, etc. They also have separate inputs for a mic and guitar with separate volume controls (so very basic mixing is possible) - put my electric guitar through one and it sounded really good.

The bar manager also commented on how nice and neat the set-up was compared to what other DJ’s bring in (mind you they had a table ready for me so that probably isn’t saying much!).