Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Display on mobiles

Default Display on mobiles

There have been some discussions about Google not showing search results on mobiles if you're not 'mobile friendly'. For me this could be a problem as my current software is not able to do a mobile friendly site. So, rather than trying to start all over again, I have managed to create a narrow page that will display on a phone ok and am hoping that this page will pop up in mobile search results. It gives a basic summary of my services and links to my main site. The page has not been crawled yet (I did it yesterday) but I am keeping an eye on it. Anyone else tried this?

Interesting, I've not had too much of an issue with not being mobile friendly on my ukpartydj site. Nice idea, I'm not sure if it'll work as I don't think Google makes different decisions based on the this.

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

That's the whole point. Google DOES identify if the device being used is a mobile and will automatically demote those sites that are not mobile friendly in favour of those that are.

Google's "mobile friendliness" (test yourself at https://www.google.co.uk/webmasters/...bile-friendly/) is not per site, it's per page, and so what you've done is a workaround that'll get at least that page indexed as "mobile friendly".

Google have said they will use mobile-friendliness as a ranking signal, so mobile friendly websites may rank higher on searches conducted from mobile devices. If and by how much is anybody's guess - I've even seen tests indicating that there's no real change (yet!). More info - Finding more mobile-friendly search results & FAQs about the April 21st mobile-friendly update.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc J View Post
    Google's "mobile friendliness" (test yourself at https://www.google.co.uk/webmasters/...bile-friendly/) is not per site, it's per page, and so what you've done is a workaround that'll get at least that page indexed as "mobile friendly".

Google have said they will use mobile-friendliness as a ranking signal, so mobile friendly websites may rank higher on searches conducted from mobile devices. If and by how much is anybody's guess - I've even seen tests indicating that there's no real change (yet!). More info - Finding more mobile-friendly search results & FAQs about the April 21st mobile-friendly update.
    Yes I know. If google picks up that page for mobile searches that'll be good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by musicology View Post
    That's the whole point. Google DOES identify if the device being used is a mobile and will automatically demote those sites that are not mobile friendly in favour of those that are.
    I know that's what they've said and have been saying for a few years now, in reality I'm not sure if it makes a BIG difference though.
    I've tested previously between my desktop and mobile (both in incognito mode) and seen very little difference:

Desktop Site ranking compared to Mobile:
    Mobile search improved rank
    Desktop higher ranked

1 = 1 (Mobile)
    2 = 2 (Mobile)
    3 = 3 (Mobile)
    4 < 5 (Desktop Only)
    5 < 6 (Desktop Only)
    6 < 7 (Desktop Only)
    7 > 4 (Desktop Only)
    8 < 11 (Mobile)
    9 > 8 (Desktop Only)
    10 > 43 (Mobile)

So 3 desktop site were demoted in mobile searches, 2 mobile sites were demoted in mobile searches.
    With that in mind - I don't think it makes that much difference, yes the top 3 are mobile sites, but they have constantly been near the top even before the mobile site revolution.
    On my search I'm 18th & 21st result desktop and 17th & 19th for mobile for my ukpartydj site. I also have a mobile friendly site (rightdj) which is nowhere near the top 10!

Make of all that as you will, but for now I'd imagine the priority is making it easier for the visitor to view and navigate which in many cases a mobile site tends to do the opposite! A narrow page might also rank well for desktop searches which would be a little odd. All that being said I would like to make my ukpartydj site responsive it's just getting around to it

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Quote Originally Posted by musicology View Post
    There have been some discussions about Google not showing search results on mobiles if you're not 'mobile friendly'. For me this could be a problem as my current software is not able to do a mobile friendly site. So, rather than trying to start all over again, I have managed to create a narrow page that will display on a phone ok and am hoping that this page will pop up in mobile search results. It gives a basic summary of my services and links to my main site. The page has not been crawled yet (I did it yesterday) but I am keeping an eye on it. Anyone else tried this?
    I still think you would hugely benefit from a decent redesign, so thats the prefect time as per the other post you are only affecting one page. I moved from HTML to Wordpress because of the mobile change and its dead easy, but more importantly very Google friendly. Even my web programer has moved to it after trying all manner of systems for his blog.

Wordpress is free and you can get someone to design it for less than £50 probably.
    Last edited by yourdj; 16-02-2016 at 03:42 PM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    I still think you would hugely benefit from a decent redesign, so thats the prefect time as per the other post you are only affecting one page. I moved from HTML to Wordpress because of the mobile change and its dead easy, but more importantly very Google friendly. Even my web programer has moved to it after trying all manner of systems for his blog.

Wordpress is free and you can get someone to design it for less than £50 probably.
    Hmmm we are in the process of making mobile friendly sites here for myself and my son with Marcs help, as I have to take it easy for 2 weeks I will be in touch soon Marc!!!!!

Im not greatly comfortable with the idea of relying solely on Wordpress as I read some pretty worrying posts about things so have contracted Marc to set us up something slightly more robust using Wordpress but on purchased templates rather than wordpress freebies.

Nothings for free guys!

Out of interest our sites which are NOT mobile friendly are holding up reasonably regarding rankings at the moment but we know whats coming

Big brother Google

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY K View Post
    Hmmm we are in the process of making mobile friendly sites here for myself and my son with Marcs help, as I have to take it easy for 2 weeks I will be in touch soon Marc!!!!!

Im not greatly comfortable with the idea of relying solely on Wordpress as I read some pretty worrying posts about things so have contracted Marc to set us up something slightly more robust using Wordpress but on purchased templates rather than wordpress freebies.

Nothings for free guys!

Out of interest our sites which are NOT mobile friendly are holding up reasonably regarding rankings at the moment but we know whats coming

Big brother Google
    You are probably correct and if not too tech savvy using Mark is probably a good move.
    I have 8 sites on Wordpress and have updated them often and not had any problems, so all good my end.
    Anything open source will encounter problems, but as with everything is you approach with caution then its not too bad.

I find it very intuitive and there is a plug in for everything you can think of.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/