Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Playing Music in sets

Default Playing Music in sets

I have always played music in sets i.e. 80s 90s etc etc however I wondered if this was the case for everyone and if not,have you had a good reaction to mixing things up a bit?

I find that the events I do which are mainly weddings etc are becoming quite similiar although I get good feedback from clients I am finding it quite tedious playing the same songs, in the same sequence week in week out, when I started djing last year I was just happy to have people on the dance floor but surely they too must get bored of hearing the same songs at discos even if they are popular!

So my questions are:

Do you always play music in genre sets?

Is it enough to have people dancing or should i be experimenting and introducing new "Classics" ? Is it worth the risk of clearing the dance floor?

I know I am trying to please a wide audience however by doing this am i playing it safe?

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasPM View Post
    I have always played music in sets i.e. 80s 90s etc etc however I wondered if this was the case for everyone and if not,have you had a good reaction to mixing things up a bit?

I find that the events I do which are mainly weddings etc are becoming quite similiar although I get good feedback from clients I am finding it quite tedious playing the same songs, in the same sequence week in week out, when I started djing last year I was just happy to have people on the dance floor but surely they too must get bored of hearing the same songs at discos even if they are popular!

So my questions are:

Do you always play music in genre sets?

Is it enough to have people dancing or should i be experimenting and introducing new "Classics" ? Is it worth the risk of clearing the dance floor?

I know I am trying to please a wide audience however by doing this am i playing it safe?
    This is where experience comes in, and you only gain experience by trying things.

You’ve built up a good foundation with what you already do so I think you can risk throwing in a few tunes which aren’t on your regular list and see what happens, even if you clear the floor it doesn’t ruin the night, in fact some people might welcome the break to go and get a drink, have a smoke, go to the loo etc.

You can also start discussing music with your clients a bit more, ask what their, and their friend’s and family's favourites are, take more requests (every DJ has experienced the request we play under duress because we don’t think it will work and it’s the tune of the night!).

Also start mixing up your sets a bit, it’s not good to jump around the styles, genres BPM’s in a disjointed fashion but there are many tunes that blend well together that don’t fit into the same categories.

Soon you’ll be developing your own style of DJ’ing and it will b much more fun for you.

To me, flow is more important than 'sets' as such. Yes I can play music of the same style for a while but (and I hate to say this because it sounds so corny) for me it's about a journey. As funkymook says, try to mix things up a bit. Take risks now & again. As mentioned, it doesn't matter if you clear the floor for a song or two - you could play the same 6 songs in the same order for 10 completely different gigs in a row & not lose a dancer but next time the formula falls flat on its bum - then what do you do?

Lots of tracks from different genres & eras have enough similarities in beat structure, melody, lyrics.. any number of things in common which we can use to link things together. Be a spotter. Try new things. Practice at home (!). Listen to the music. What other tracks does it sound/feel like? etc.

And yes, you can genre jump or completely change direction suddenly but there has to be context and you shouldn't do it too often. Radio stations play dance then RnB then ballad, then dance, then ballad.. but radio programming went all to hell years ago, and nobody dances to the radio anyway.

Programming is a skill which can take years to get to grips with & you may never master it (I'm still learning) but it's essential to become an excellent DJ IMHO. Don't be the DJ everybody sets their watch by. And for pity's sake don't play Guns N Roses Sweet Child of Mine around Bon Jovi - Livin On a Prayer

Thomas, the definitive answer to this one, is like finding the Holy Grail. As Martin says, a full dancefloor means it ain't broke, so doesn't need a lot of fixing.
    I haven't much to add to Martin's advice, merely to point out a policy which can work on grim nights in particular. Play three songs of one style till you get success. It can be helpful at weddings and other functions with widely varying age groups.

As you've now realised, there is a danger of DJ'ing by numbers, and playing the same things at the same time every gig. That's why we so love the gigs where we don't play The Usual Suspects.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasPM View Post
    Oh, dear! You've fallen for "DJ Schoolboy Error #1"! Just because you, as the DJ, hear the same songs week in week out, it doesn't mean that the guests at your party do. It might have been ten years since they were last at a wedding dancing to Macarena or Dancing Queen! I think a lot of DJs fall in to this trap. I've heard of DJs refusing to play requests because they're sick of hearing them. But they should remember that the event is not for them. DJs are not there to entertain themselves (although some invariably do!). They are there to entertain the client and the client's guests. Always remember that and you'll become very popular amongst your clients!

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Thomas, the definitive answer to this one, is like finding the Holy Grail. As Martin says, a full dancefloor means it ain't broke, so doesn't need a lot of fixing.
    I haven't much to add to Martin's advice, merely to point out a policy which can work on grim nights in particular. Play three songs of one style till you get success. It can be helpful at weddings and other functions with widely varying age groups.

As you've now realised, there is a danger of DJ'ing by numbers, and playing the same things at the same time every gig. That's why we so love the gigs where we don't play The Usual Suspects.
    +1 for the 3 songs then move on policy!!
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    This is where experience comes in, and you only gain experience by trying things.

You can also start discussing music with your clients a bit more, ask what their, and their friend’s and family's favourites are, take more requests (every DJ has experienced the request we play under duress because we don’t think it will work and it’s the tune of the night!).

Soon you’ll be developing your own style of DJ’ing and it will b much more fun for you.
    I have always been a bit reluctant to ask for requests just in case I didn't have a particular song or couldn't work it in but I now have the ability to download any song I want plus my collection has increased considerably so, yes going forward I must ask for more requests and yes I totally agree some of the requests I have reluctantly played have gone down a storm.

My own style is what I am aiming for as this is what will keep me interested and djing for the right reasons!

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    Programming is a skill which can take years to get to grips with & you may never master it (I'm still learning) but it's essential to become an excellent DJ IMHO. Don't be the DJ everybody sets their watch by. And for pity's sake don't play Guns N Roses Sweet Child of Mine around Bon Jovi - Livin On a Prayer
    Guns n Roses then Bon Jovi never it has to be Summer of 69 surely ,but yes juski this is exactly what im moving away from maybe I will play Guns N Roses then Joy Division love will tear us apart next time see how it goes.
    I am working on the Programing and even deleted all my go to playlists recently so I cant constantly fall back on the same songs.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    a policy which can work on grim nights in particular. Play three songs of one style till you get success. It can be helpful at weddings and other functions with widely varying age groups.

That's a great policy as ive always teased with single tracks but three makes more sense so I think I will adopt this!

And yeh the danger of Djing by numbers is it gets so boring that everyone loses interest!

Thanks all for the great advice looking forward to getting out on my next gig and trying these ideas out!

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post
    Oh, dear! You've fallen for "DJ Schoolboy Error #1"! Just because you, as the DJ, hear the same songs week in week out, it doesn't mean that the guests at your party do. It might have been ten years since they were last at a wedding dancing to Macarena or Dancing Queen! I think a lot of DJs fall in to this trap. I've heard of DJs refusing to play requests because they're sick of hearing them. But they should remember that the event is not for them. DJs are not there to entertain themselves (although some invariably do!). They are there to entertain the client and the client's guests. Always remember that and you'll become very popular amongst your clients!
    Especially important at Xmas when even the bar staff are starting to guess 'what song is next' lol.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    Especially important at Xmas when even the bar staff are starting to guess 'what song is next' lol.
    Surely at Christmas parties you just load in your playlist and set it to "random???!!!

Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    IMHO. And for pity's sake don't play Guns N Roses Sweet Child of Mine around Bon Jovi - Livin On a Prayer
    I regularly do that! While they're singing "WHOA-OH LIVING ON A PRAYER" at full pelt, with the music dipped out completely, I bring in the intro of "Sweet Child".
    Come on, They LOVE IT!

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post
    +1 for the 3 songs then move on policy!!
    I agree, but there are times when 3 is too many and I use 2 and move on!