Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Setting up, what would you have done different?

Default Setting up, what would you have done different?

Hi folks,
    I'm in the process of starting up and wondered 'what would you have done different?' if you had to setup again?

My plan of action so far:
    • Setup website, Facebook, Twitter
    • Investing in lights (4x ADJ Comscans, 3x KAM Quadflower)
    • Compiling my music choice, ready to purchase prior to my first gig (16bit FLAC, 7digital)
    • Listing the business with Google
    • Joining forums/listing sites
    • Business cards and flyers printed

Any advice, thoughts, comments gratefully received.

Cheers,
    Fitz

Quote Originally Posted by PabloFitzyg View Post
    Hi folks,
    I'm in the process of starting up and wondered 'what would you have done different?' if you had to setup again?

My plan of action so far:
    • Setup website, Facebook, Twitter
    • Investing in lights (4x ADJ Comscans, 3x KAM Quadflower)
    • Compiling my music choice, ready to purchase prior to my first gig (16bit FLAC, 7digital)
    • Listing the business with Google
    • Joining forums/listing sites
    • Business cards and flyers printed

Any advice, thoughts, comments gratefully received.

Cheers,
    Fitz
    Hello Pablo

I cant offer any advice on the promotion side of things however in regards to the practical side i will say this:

Make sure you get out with an experienced DJ as no matter how much money you throw at equipment and promotions this wont help you choose the right tracks or read your audience.

Go tentatively when purchasing equipment,think practically as you are going to be carrying transporting this stuff around to every gig dont do what i did and buy two 18" subs and 15" tops as these are overkill for most parties i do.

Protect your ears I have had tinnitus for the last five weeks and it doesn't seem to be going any time soon!

Have to dash as im about to go out im sure more will be along with good advice!

All the best

Thomas

First thing to do is decide what sort of DJ you want to be and who your target market is. So if you’re going to be a wedding DJ your target market would be brides and grooms for example.

Once you’ve identified your market that will drive most of your other choices.

I think you need to break down your bullet points into a lot more detail first so that you can prioritise and budget.

Personally I would not print anything nor spend a lot on anything until I had networked and investigated the market I was aiming for.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasPM View Post
    Hello Pablo

I cant offer any advice on the promotion side of things however in regards to the practical side i will say this:

Make sure you get out with an experienced DJ as no matter how much money you throw at equipment and promotions this wont help you choose the right tracks or read your audience.

Go tentatively when purchasing equipment,think practically as you are going to be carrying transporting this stuff around to every gig dont do what i did and buy two 18" subs and 15" tops as these are overkill for most parties i do.

Protect your ears I have had tinnitus for the last five weeks and it doesn't seem to be going any time soon!

Have to dash as im about to go out im sure more will be along with good advice!

All the best

Thomas
    Just realised this is in the Business help section so my reply is no help at all sorry!

Thank you all for the feedback, some food for thought