Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Genre lists

Default Genre lists

With reference to re-instating the DJ Help Guides I was wondering if some new “Genre” lists should be made up. We have some good ones for various decades (thanks to Darren), but are a bit lacking in the genre department.

To make this a fair representation of what actually works, I was wondering if our members would mind posting up their top 10 of the genres shown below* (please only list tracks that are proven to actually work in a mobile disco situation & not just because they are of a certain genre. Also must be suitable for all ages) . Obviously some genres will get more top 10s than others so I will compile the finished list from all the responses we get. Don’t worry if what you want to post has already gone up; the idea is to see what the most popular ones are.

*I will be starting individual threads for each genre every few days, but so you can get your thinking caps on here’s the list

Big Band / Swing x
    Cheese
    Classical (Suitable for background during meals / arrivals etc) x
    Country x
    Disco (70’s / Early 80’s (the initial boom period)) x
    Drum & Bass
    Easy Listening x
    Funk x
    Garage x
    Glam Rock x
    Halloween speciality nights
    Indie x
    Irish (Not just songs by Irish artists)
    Jazz x
    Kids Party Standards (5-10 y/o)
    Heavy Metal x
    Punk x
    Reggae x
    Rock (Mainstream / Soft Rock)
    Rock ‘n’ Roll
    Ska (Original era & 2 Tone etc) x
    Salsa x
    Soca
    Soul (60’s Motown / Stax era) x
    Soul (70’s onwards)
    Last edited by Corabar Steve; 22-11-2006 at 01:07 AM.
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

With reference to re-instating the DJ Help Guides I was wondering if some new “Genre” lists should be made up. We have some good ones for various decades (thanks to Darren), but are a bit lacking in the genre department.

To make this a fair representation of what actually works, I was wondering if our members would mind posting up their top 10 of the genres shown below* (please only list tracks that are proven to actually work in a mobile disco situation & not just because they are of a certain genre. Also must be suitable for all ages) . Obviously some genres will get more top 10s than others so I will compile the finished list from all the responses we get. Don’t worry if what you want to post has already gone up; the idea is to see what the most popular ones are.

Just to reitterate

It does not matter if you post a track that somebody else has already posted.

What I will ask is that you please stick to the specific genre as described in the thread title.

Compiling these lists is going to be a big enough task as it is (& it is being done to help other DJs who may be unsure about a particular genre) without having to sift through stuff that blatantly is not of the genre in question.

Thanks in advance for sticking to the rules.
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Please also bare in mind that these lists are being complied with all aspects of the job in mind.

From arrival of guests, to champagne receptions, to the buffet, to background for full sit down meals, to the main part of the night.

Just because you don't use a certain genre, it doesn't mean that you won't get a client who wants it for a part of their evening.

These threads are not a debate (if you wish to dispute whether a track is of a certain genre please start your own thread on the subject), all that is required of you is to post up a list of tracks that actually work for each genre.

If it's a genre you know nothing about or don't use, then don't post on the thread

As said before, these guides when they're finished are intended to help DJs out, so your co-opeation would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks again.

We need as many workable tracks for each genre for these lists to work, so feel free to post as many as you want on each thread as long as they do work the crowd & are suitable for all ages gigs