Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Light stand grip broken :(

Default Light stand grip broken :(

Used the gigabar a few times now and the pole grip at the top seems to have snapped.
    Can they be replaced?

I have attached a pic of the top and the bottom one. You can clearly see the broken one.It will not grip the pole.Only the safeyty key keeps it upright.

Name:  giga3.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  37.5 KB
    Name:  giga4.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  26.1 KB

As a temporary fix, get a rubber door wedge to ram in the gap and tighten the screw onto that. I'm sure you should be able to buy a replacement clamp somewhere. Oh, are you sure it hasn't just come loose and dropped down into the tube? That happened to me once. I just tipped the stand upside down to get it out. Nothing wrong with it. Just came loose and dropped!

Quote Originally Posted by musicology View Post
    As a temporary fix, get a rubber door wedge to ram in the gap and tighten the screw onto that. I'm sure you should be able to buy a replacement clamp somewhere. Oh, are you sure it hasn't just come loose and dropped down into the tube? That happened to me once. I just tipped the stand upside down to get it out. Nothing wrong with it. Just came loose and dropped!
    It snapped in half. I did not think i even tightened it much.

Same thing happened to a cheap speaker stand but i expected that.

Over tightening can actually cause many stands and the like to loosen, rather than grip. Unless you can find a similar part on a donor ( scrap ) stand, I'd look at buying a new stand. I think the lower cost ones must be regarded as having a limited lifespan.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Default Gigabar

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Over tightening can actually cause many stands and the like to loosen, rather than grip. Unless you can find a similar part on a donor ( scrap ) stand, I'd look at buying a new stand. I think the lower cost ones must be regarded as having a limited lifespan.
    It's brand new. Maybe I can get it done under warranty but if I have to send it back then the weight will be costly.

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mrrawuk View Post
    It's brand new. Maybe I can get it done under warranty but if I have to send it back then the weight will be costly.
    Where would you have to send it back to? Might be cheaper to drop it off yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    Where would you have to send it back to? Might be cheaper to drop it off yourself.
    China? Germany?
    I do know that at least one member has had similar issues, and Thomann didn't send him the offending part, they sent a complete new tripod.
    I'd have a look for a budget stand,to tide him over until repair/replacement.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    China? Germany?
    Unless it's the Chauvet Gigbar, by which point Nottingham would be considerably more convenient.

Give prolight concepts a call on 01254 704111.
    Don't expect much from 'free' or 'included' stands. They're pants. I've had issues with my gigabar stand since I'd had it for 2 weeks. Funnily enough on the same part of the stand.

I doubt you will get it replaced under warranty as it has been over tightened, but it's worth a try, the first port of call is the retailer you purchased it from. The distributor for these is Prolight but from experience they don't appear to carry spares. A new stand will cost around £35, or at least that's what they quoted me, in the end I repaired it myself (different issue to yourself) the person I dealt with was: [email protected]
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire