Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making Smoke/Haze Fluid from Ironing water?

Default Making Smoke/Haze Fluid from Ironing water?

I bet you're thinking, what is he on about now!

Just a thought though as my haze fluid currently costs £4 per litre (and I thought diesel was expensive!). I've read it's just distilled water with a small amount of glycerin.
    Ironing water is fragranced distilled water right? So if I mix them together at the correct ratio I might have a lovely smelling ocean breeze haze machine which runs off an Ironing water/ glycerin mix which only costs £1 per litre.

Does anybody know better than to meddle with KAM's secret haze recipe?

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

You'll invalidate your hazer warranty & potentially clog it up far before it's due. I've only ever used recommended fluids in effects machines.

My first fogger was a Martin 700... Official fluid was a fiver a litre then too, which accounting for inflation makes today's juices cheaper.

You might save four quid a litre but a new heater block will set you back a lot more

Give it a go and tell us how you get on!

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    You'll invalidate your hazer warranty & potentially clog it up far before it's due. I've only ever used recommended fluids in effects machines.

My first fogger was a Martin 700... Official fluid was a fiver a litre then too, which accounting for inflation makes today's juices cheaper.

You might save four quid a litre but a new heater block will set you back a lot more
    Clogging is exactly what I'm afraid of. But I'm assuming a steam iron uses a fairly similar method... water tank > hot surface > steam??? Any iron experts haha?

Quote Originally Posted by musicology View Post
    Give it a go and tell us how you get on!
    I think when the glycerine arrives I may do a little test batch so to not cause much damage if damage is to be caused.

It'll probably work fine initially but you may get issues with prolonged use.

Quote Originally Posted by ukpartydj View Post
    Clogging is exactly what I'm afraid of. But I'm assuming a steam iron uses a fairly similar method... water tank > hot surface > steam??? Any iron experts haha?
    I wouldn't use steam iron fluid since it has perfume additives in it (Fabreze?) and could possibly coat the heater, although I doubt it, however 'real' distilled water unlike tap water contains nothing but H2O and cannot block up your M/C, it's the oil / glycerine and the calcium in tap water that blocks heating elements. Why not try mixing distilled water with your regular smoke fluid starting with 75% water - 25% smoke fluid you will almost certainly get a reasonable amount of smoke/haze generated. I have a pair of Chauvet Geysers that work quite well with just distilled water! and performs satisfactory with a 20% - 80% mix and doesn't set smoke alarms off, (the client wanted the flame like effect with ultra quick dispersal, and not to enhance light beams)
    Last edited by Pe7e; 16-03-2016 at 06:00 PM.
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Pe7e View Post
    I wouldn't use steam iron fluid since it has perfume additives in it (Fabreze?) and could possibly coat the heater, although I doubt it, however 'real' distilled water unlike tap water contains nothing but H2O and cannot block up your M/C, it's the oil / glycerine and the calcium in tap water that blocks heating elements. Why not try mixing distilled water with your regular smoke fluid starting with 75% water - 25% smoke fluid you will almost certainly get a reasonable amount of smoke/haze generated. I have a pair of Chauvet Geysers that work quite well with just distilled water! and performs satisfactory with a 20% - 80% mix and doesn't set smoke alarms off, (the client wanted the flame like effect with ultra quick dispersal, and not to enhance light beams)
    That's probably the better idea! I've just given the ironing water a little test run and it works just fine as expected ... but it stinks... I was expecting some smell but boy it's like I just emptied a bottle of aftershave onto a hot pan! I think I'll just buy some distilled water from somewhere

I assume you have heard of di-ionised water? I use it to clean my hazer. costs a few quid for 5 litres.

http://www.getgeared.co.uk/carplan-d..._source=google

Why not just buy the decent haze fluid and charge an extra £5 per event
    I get through nothing really. I buy the QTX fine fluid and add a bit of the cheap thick stuff i found at a local venue.

Lasts about 5-6 events if not more costing about £2-3 per event .
    Thomanns fluid is very good and very well priced.
    Last edited by yourdj; 20-03-2016 at 07:34 PM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    I assume you have heard of di-ionised water? I use it to clean my hazer. costs a few quid for 5 litres.

http://www.getgeared.co.uk/carplan-d..._source=google

Why not just buy the decent haze fluid and charge an extra £5 per event
    I get through nothing really. I buy the QTX fine fluid and add a bit of the cheap thick stuff i found at a local venue.

Lasts about 5-6 events if not more costing about £2-3 per event .
    Thomanns fluid is very good and very well priced.
    Yes, I was under the impression you needed to use distilled water only ... but I guess if you can use di-ionised in an iron or battery it's probably not worth worrying about!

I'm not unhappy with the price of the fluid, no issues paying a couple of quid for each gig that it's used. It's more that I know it's just water and glycerine and I can buy both, cheaply!

i bought the cheap high density fog off amazon and have added Coconut scent (designed for smoke machines) quite often people comment on how good my smoke smells !!!! LOL