Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Connecting passive tops to active Subs - Best way

Default Connecting passive tops to active Subs - Best way

Hi there,

As the title says I am looking to connect some passive tops to some active subs. I will list the gear i have then try to explain how i would set it up. Just looking for advise to see if that would be best practice to get the best possible sound and be the most efficient.

Numark N4 Controller

Wharfedale Titan Subs 15A

Behringer Eurolive B1520 passive tops
    Deltec SX3 Passive tops

Wharfedale Pro S2500 power amp

Behringer Eurolive UB1202 Mixer

This how i would do it..

Numark N4 Balanced XLR outputs left/right into left and right sub balanced input
    Then i would use RCA Booth output from the N4 into a 1/4 line in channel sy 5&6 on the mixer
    From the mixer 1/4 inch main output would go into 1/4 inch amp input A & B
    Then from amp speakon cables into the tops

I was thinking this way just for simplicity and for the fact I would be able to control the tops and the subs separately just from the controller Booth and Main outputs pots

I just don't know if if would be better to run the main output from the n4 controller into the subs then somehow from the subs into the amp inputs.

Any help/advise would be much appreciated.

TIA

Name:  numark_n4_back_audio_works.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  22.6 KBName:  sub rear.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  44.3 KBName:  amp rear.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  62.4 KBName:  deltec reae.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  67.9 KBName:  b1520 rear.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  69.2 KB

- - - Updated - - -

Name:  mixer.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  77.1 KB

Hello Steve. Firstly, welcome to the forum, and could I ask you to pop across to the Newbies section and tell us a bit more about yourself please. We're a nosey lot, and it can often help us to give more accurate advice.

Right, to your question. I see what you're trying to do, and it has merit. It will have the drawback that you'll still be sending a full range signal to the tops, so it could be a bit too bassy. I know why you're using the Behringer, so I'll give you a way using this.

Theoretically you should get better sound, but you'll have a couple of extra cables in the rig back from the subs. Connect the Numark into the Behringer as normal. Take the balanced output into the sub, or subs. ( This way will work with one or two subs, as they appear to have twin channels. ) Run the high pass from the subs back to the amp. This will split the frequencies as intended. You'll be able to control the volume of the subs from the Behringer and if you need to balance the volume of the tops, you should have the gain controls on the amp within reach to fine tune the sound.

Hope this helps. If not, keep going, we'll get there somehow.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Hello Peter,

Thank you for the fast reply, I will add a little bit to the newbies section in a minute.

To be the honest the only reason I use the little Behringer mixer is because my radio mic sounds a lot clearer and louder if i run it through that for some reason. Not sure how good the N4 mic output normally is. Plus i do like to see gain outputs flashing and be able to tweak the sound a little more with the eq. Having said that would i get a noticeably better sound if I just setup your way from the main xlrs straight into the subs and then out into the amp with the high pass on. Then i could always just use the mixer to run my mic only and my backup laptop back into the spare channels on the N4. Would that work ok?

Thanks for the help, much appreciated

The mic inputs on many controllers are sadly lacking, and on some of the two channel ones, non-existent! I know many people who used a similar mixer for the mic channels. A fortnight ago, I used exactly the same mixer as yours for exactly that purpose, as I needed a couple more channels. I've never used an N4, but a quick look at the manual confirms that the Behringer has much more control over the mics, although the Numark has more control than some.

Re sound, the cardinal rule is always " suck it and see ". My way is the textbook way, but that's not to say it's best in your case. Whatever sounds best usually is best. If possible, try both ways, and see which you prefer. Just be careful when swapping cables round from one configuration to the other, as it's easy to get them in a wrong connection, and possibly do damage.

Hi,

I have just tried your setup configuration and I am very pleased with the overall sound. The system will never fill a stadium but the subs have added so much to the system and everything has really come to life. The tops sound even better through the high pass, a lot clearer on the hi-mids, I guess that is because they are not having to work as hard. Tried a few different genres and I am very happy with how it sounds. Running the amp at half volume as always, the level on the mixer at 0 db and the subs about 12 o'clock. Inside Serato, got t master gain also about 12 o'clock and the n4 master gain at 12 so still got plenty of headroom. Thanks again for your help and advice Peter much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by StevieT View Post
    Hi,

The tops sound even better through the high pass, a lot clearer on the hi-mids, I guess that is because they are not having to work as hard. .
    It basically is. Taking out the really low frequencies lets them reproduce the higher ones more accurately, and also you can run them a tad harder if needed.
    Glad it worked as you hoped.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Just be careful when swapping cables round from one configuration to the other, as it's easy to get them in a wrong connection, and possibly do damage.
    Been there.
    Wired up a stereo amp to a pair of speakers once, sadly somehow got amp left channel wired into right channel and amp smoked badly on power up.
    Luckily it wasn't at a gig but at home.