Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Db Technologies Opera Sub 15 - Banging, popping and humming

Quote Originally Posted by soundsalarming View Post

Is there a setup you recommend out there that would justify me selling everything above and topping up a bit to end up with a better bang for buck system? Weight and size reduction would be nice but sound quality is more important to me.
    Here's the left of centre suggestion ( mainly cos I haven't heard it together yet. Young Wayne is a bit far away frm me, even when I'm as far south as I go )

The lad's running a pair of Yamaha DXS 12 subs, and the eight inch active Yamaha tops. Ticks a lot of boxes.
    Your current rig isn't at all shabby, a lot of folks would kill for it. If you're wanting to go all RCF, I believe the 905 subs are much lighter.
    Again, I wouldn't swap anything you presently have without good reason. The golden rule is as always " listen before you buy "
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

If tapping it cause noises then I would suspect something mechanical like loose wire, connector or dodgy volume control.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Here's the left of centre suggestion ( mainly cos I haven't heard it together yet. Young Wayne is a bit far away frm me, even when I'm as far south as I go )

The lad's running a pair of Yamaha DXS 12 subs, and the eight inch active Yamaha tops. Ticks a lot of boxes.
    Your current rig isn't at all shabby, a lot of folks would kill for it. If you're wanting to go all RCF, I believe the 905 subs are much lighter.
    Again, I wouldn't swap anything you presently have without good reason. The golden rule is as always " listen before you buy "
    I've had a look at that setup on a youtube video...looks nice and compact - excellent. Wonder how good/low a 12 inch sub is - my tops are 12 inch and sound rather bright on their own but then they are not set up as subs. I think my local PMT shop has them setup in their store so will pop down for a listen.

I once saw the 905 subs and they looked good - thanks for the weight tip - will look into it. I'm not a badge snob so not particularly bothered about matching brands. Actually, aren't DB Technologies really RCF with a lower price tag? lol. You said it very well regarding swapping for no reason - I hope to only switch/upgrade if something is clearly better or makes my life easier - fighting to keep the gear slut in me in check!

Quote Originally Posted by ckpr2 View Post
    If tapping it cause noises then I would suspect something mechanical like loose wire, connector or dodgy volume control.
    Thanks for the response. I unscrewed the input module (red box in picture) and had a look. It seemed fine and connector to amp secure. I hope you and juski are right and it's a simple volume control fix. Will hopefully find somewhere to take them on Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post

Popped down to my local PMT store and had a look at the Yamaha gear. Guy in there recommended the 10 inch top with the 12 inch sub and set it up as in the pics below. The other speaker is an RCF 705 which I used for comparison - size difference is easy to see.

The setup sounds good but I found the 12 inch sub a little lacking. I expected a tighter bass than the 15 inch RCF but it sounded not too bad - good so far. As it played, I had a look round the back and the 10 inch top (DXR10) and he had the gain at about a 1/4 way up. I looked down at the DXS12 sub...and it was maxxed out!...all in at low volume and just about keeping up! Cranked up I think it would struggle.
    When the RCF came on - the bass sounded great...but now I noticed the boom...hmmm.

I think you were right in saying it is better matched with an 8 inch top as the 10 inch is just too much for it - might go back for another play. Size wise, the 8 inch top and 12 inch sub looks nice and compact. However, with such small tops you will always have to take a sub with you however small the event.

The shop guy recommended Yamaha over the RCF Evox 12 or Bose L1 system they also had in store for prerecorded music. 7 year warranty - very nice.

So I'm mixed at the moment but like what I saw and will look into it some more.

Just thought I'd share my experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by soundsalarming View Post

The setup sounds good but I found the 12 inch sub a little lacking.

I think you were right in saying it is better matched with an 8 inch top as the 10 inch is just too much for it - might go back for another play. Size wise, the 8 inch top and 12 inch sub looks nice and compact. However, with such small tops you will always have to take a sub with you however small the event.

The shop guy recommended Yamaha over the RCF Evox 12 or Bose L1 system they also had in store for prerecorded music. 7 year warranty - very nice.

So I'm mixed at the moment but like what I saw and will look into it some more.

Just thought I'd share my experiences.
    Thank you for that. That's interesting. I don't think Wayne feels his subs are lacking, but he's not running against 10s as you did. We'll have to see what he thinks.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Hello everyone.

Just thought I'd let you know the final outcome regarding my speaker fault (in case it helps someone).
    I found a local place and all sorted within 2 days. Below is copied from invoice:

Item Make/Model: DB Technologies Opera 15 Sub
    Reported Fault: Rumbling, Sounds like noisy pot.

Details Net Cost VAT Rate VAT
    Stripped module and airlined. Cleaned sockets, switches and pots.
    Reass, soaked and audio test ok.

£ 45.00 20% £ 9.00
    Net Cost £ 45.00
    Freight £ 0.00
    Total VAT £ 9.00
    Repair Total £ 54.00

So, seems it needed a clean...nothing needed replacing. I'm relieved and appreciate the honesty of the repairer but cannot help but be a little "dissapointed" that all it needed was a simple clean...well, a £54 clean!

You know that happy-irritated feeling you get when the gas engineer finally turns up and turns a knob which fixes your boiler in under 2 minutes? That feeling made worse by the fact you've been freezing your nuts off for the last 3 days waiting for him to turn up and are sure you turned that very same knob yourself about 20 times and nothing happened? Then get charged that standard call out fee...
    You know it's your fault for being so thick and not knowing how to do anything yourself....

Ahh well, could have been worse....live and learn. Hope it helps someone

Nah cleaning is only a temporary fix. The pots really need to be replaced. Have that done in a couple of months when they go scratchy again.

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    Nah cleaning is only a temporary fix. The pots really need to be replaced. Have that done in a couple of months when they go scratchy again.
    Absolutely, its unlikely to last a long time. Its wear on the track.

Although volume controls are a moving feast--I have one I use dozens of times a night for increasing and reducing volume for my Barn Dance Calling.

Usually last about 25 bookings. My current pot though must be into 50 plus bookings--always buy them from Maplins--no idea on that

In my opinion you should have been offered a replacement volume pot quote, even if you turned it down. ( Ooops unfortunate pun there )

This happens a lot with my car--they say this is the cheap short term fix quote---this is the long term fix quote.

While its all taken apart might as well fix it properly.

If you are selling the unit go for short term--if not go long term.
    Last edited by CRAZY K; 23-03-2016 at 01:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY K View Post
    Absolutely, its unlikely to last a long time. Its wear on the track.

Although volume controls are a moving feast--I have one I use dozens of times a night for increasing and reducing volume for my Barn Dance Calling.

Usually last about 25 bookings. My current pot though must be into 50 plus bookings--always buy them from Maplins--no idea on that

In my opinion you should have been offered a replacement volume pot quote, even if you turned it down. ( Ooops unfortunate pun there )

This happens a lot with my car--they say this is the cheap short term fix quote---this is the long term fix quote.

While its all taken apart might as well fix it properly.

If you are selling the unit go for short term--if not go long term.
    Oh dear....You guys are making a lot of sense. I'm glad I posted before going to collect.

I'm about to go and pick it up. Will ask about guarantee, what if it happens again etc. Not a good feeling...

Is replacing a volume pot difficult?