Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I guilty of misselling?

Default Am I guilty of misselling?

I'll keep this short. I've been using the image below on emails to potential clients to sell my services. Usually this is accompanied by a list of what will be provided which includes the phrase "Full professional sound and lighting rig" and another line that offers "Uplighting/Moodlighting" as an additional service.

Name:  IMG_9687 (Small).jpg
Views: 289
Size:  71.7 KB

A couple I DJ'd for on Sat night got a bit confused with the above and thought that "Uplighting" meant the string light canopy in the photo (which is obviously not mine and is permanently installed in the venue).

My missus pointed out that if I haven't been stating that it's not included, then couples could assume that it is (think about the product demonstration photos you see in catalogues where they put "TV not included" against pics of PS4's and the like). I haven't been explicitly stating that the string light canopy is not included in my package - do you think I should? Should I also state that drapes, decorations, flowers and cake are not included?

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Yes i think most will think its included. I used to have a photo with an installed mirrorball, quite clearly screwed into the ceiling and clients used to think that was included. As they have never had anything to do with putting up any lighting equipment, their knowledge is often only limited to what they have seen online TV or in nightclubs, which is usually installed or takes a lot of time to set up. Just a case of a sentence at the bottom saying its not included as thats a lovely photo.

Even Ebay listings have (laptop not included) for DJ controllers. Its amazing how many people out there just don't read listings, or assume things that clearly are not included.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Looking at the photo from a fellow suppliers perspective and also if you hadn't of told us anyway, I would have guessed that you'd not installed the additional lighting and other bits....

But, from a customers perspective, they may think that what they are getting for their money is what is in the photo. I think it's best to cover yourself just in case.

Make sure you also include the speakers on the wall, the curtains, the cake and of course also the venue.

* venue not included

That would look quite funny LOL.

Where is the uplighting (as we understand it) in that picture?
    I think its reasonable that if someone were asked to point out the 'uplighting' they would take it literally that it's the lighting 'up' on the ceiling. We can't assume the public understands the technical or descriptive terms we take for granted.

So as the ceiling lights are the main feature in that photograph I do think it's a misrepresentation.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    I'll keep this short. I've been using the image below on emails to potential clients to sell my services. Usually this is accompanied by a list of what will be provided which includes the phrase "Full professional sound and lighting rig" and another line that offers "Uplighting/Moodlighting" as an additional service.

Name:  IMG_9687 (Small).jpg
Views: 289
Size:  71.7 KB

A couple I DJ'd for on Sat night got a bit confused with the above and thought that "Uplighting" meant the string light canopy in the photo (which is obviously not mine and is permanently installed in the venue).

My missus pointed out that if I haven't been stating that it's not included, then couples could assume that it is (think about the product demonstration photos you see in catalogues where they put "TV not included" against pics of PS4's and the like). I haven't been explicitly stating that the string light canopy is not included in my package - do you think I should? Should I also state that drapes, decorations, flowers and cake are not included?

Julian
    Interesting--I keep telling my son who runs the Rodeo Bull to be careful about showing pictures on his quotes which often include nice Red and Blue uplighting taken when we did a gig with Paul at Paul James Promotions a few years ago.

Yes I think you need to be very careful otherwise you will fall foul of some Advertising Standards legislation or similar I imagine--misrepresentation is the word that springs to mind--so yes get some disclaimers in the quote saying you will only get abcd and not xyz or use another photo.

I am having to be careful as well as my latest videos from Pinewood Studios feature a magnificent white starcloth installation which must be 30 feet by about 15 feet high and makes the whole setting look great---except it wont be with me next time--like your string lights it will still be at the venue.

I think we have to work in laymans dummy language as not everyone knows what starcloths or uplights mean.

I often provide quotes saying--any flags or lighting shown on the website are not included---naturally an invitation for a bit of upselling

Although trying to dissect your brilliant picture into what and whats not included may prove difficult.

What about the stage and surround which looks impressive as well ?

Obviously you dont want a picture down the local Scout Hut

On a lighter note a contestant who won a car in a Golf Club raffle got one that only had 2 doors not 4 as shown in the publicity, however he lost his court case on that one( recent newspaper article))I think because he turned down the offer of cash instead. People DO NOTICE.
    Last edited by CRAZY K; 21-03-2016 at 09:24 AM.

I'd use a photo that shows all of the services you mention or a series of photos to cover all the various services. It's pretty damm clear it's fairy lights so not really buying mistaking that for uplighting myself (even from a Joe Public POV).
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by DeckstarDeluxe View Post
    It's pretty damm clear it's fairy lights so not really buying mistaking that for uplighting myself (even from a Joe Public POV).
    I think you'd be surprised. Whilst I wouldn't want to accuse a small section of Joe Public of being....dare I say it.....s****d, it is amazing just how many of it need educating as to what Uplighting (for example) actually is. I have had to explain a number of times so it wouldn't surprise me if lots of the public thought the fairy lights were included.

It sounds outrageous but I am thinking about it from their point of view. We know the score, some of them don't so I wouldn't say it's "pretty damn clear" (to them).

Quote Originally Posted by Shakermaker Promotions View Post
    I think you'd be surprised. Whilst I wouldn't want to accuse a small section of Joe Public of being....dare I say it.....s****d, it is amazing just how many of it need educating as to what Uplighting (for example) actually is. I have had to explain a number of times so it wouldn't surprise me if lots of the public thought the fairy lights were included.

It sounds outrageous but I am thinking about it from their point of view. We know the score, some of them don't so I wouldn't say it's "pretty damn clear" (to them).
    In todays no win no fee society I would err on the side of caution.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakermaker Promotions View Post
    dare I say it.....s****d, it is amazing just how many of it need educating as to what Uplighting (for example) actually is. .
    I was going to say that but trod carefully as not to be labelled a snob as usual.
    The "general" public are a funny bunch, especially in the UK.

I don't really like groups of people at all, which is ironic as when i am in work mode I am the opposite.