Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: New Year, New Me

Default New Year, New Me

Howdy all, been a while since i've actually started a thread, so here you go... just for you!

As many of you know, I have this little (expensive) hobby called 'being a Pilot' and as such I have recently started a job with a company who own a number of aeroplanes and I am hoping to become a Pilot with them within the next few years (subject to requirement and whether they actually want to give me the job lol).

Therefore, I have made the decision that, NYE this year will be my last Mobile DJ'ing gig. Well, almost... i'll still do friends' Weddings as I have a couple booked in next year and I have a couple of contracts which i'll personally work - one is a weekly, walk-in residency and the other is a number of PA/Stage Hire jobs for a local charity.

I've been a DJ since I was 15, so this'll be my 10th year. It has had it's ups and downs, but as of the last few months i've mostly stopped enjoying it. It's not the clients or their guests as they've been great on the whole, it's just the leaving the house at 4pm, driving however many miles to the venue, setting up, standing there all night working, taking it all down and then driving miles home again and getting in to bed at 3am. After 10 years, it's worn me down and my passion has gone. Those of you that have been doing this full time for 20/30+ years, I salute you!

The business will still be running as strong as ever though, as we still have a few Corporate contracts for Conferences, Awards Ceremonies, Larger PA Hires, Stage Hires etc so will still be taking on DJ booking as normal, however, i'll be taking a back-seat and sending out other DJs to work them.

DJ'ing has served me well as has earned me some decent money - it's paid for my flying for a start - but now it's time to focus on my career and my lifetime passion...
    Scott.

SC Events | Facebook

Professional Conference & AV Services, Corporate Entertainment, Equipment Hire and DJs

Quote Originally Posted by SC Events View Post
    Howdy all, been a while since i've actually started a thread, so here you go... just for you!

As many of you know, I have this little (expensive) hobby called 'being a Pilot' and as such I have recently started a job with a company who own a number of aeroplanes and I am hoping to become a Pilot with them within the next few years (subject to requirement and whether they actually want to give me the job lol).

Therefore, I have made the decision that, NYE this year will be my last Mobile DJ'ing gig. Well, almost... i'll still do friends' Weddings as I have a couple booked in next year and I have a couple of contracts which i'll personally work - one is a weekly, walk-in residency and the other is a number of PA/Stage Hire jobs for a local charity.

I've been a DJ since I was 15, so this'll be my 10th year. It has had it's ups and downs, but as of the last few months i've mostly stopped enjoying it. It's not the clients or their guests as they've been great on the whole, it's just the leaving the house at 4pm, driving however many miles to the venue, setting up, standing there all night working, taking it all down and then driving miles home again and getting in to bed at 3am. After 10 years, it's worn me down and my passion has gone. Those of you that have been doing this full time for 20/30+ years, I salute you!

The business will still be running as strong as ever though, as we still have a few Corporate contracts for Conferences, Awards Ceremonies, Larger PA Hires, Stage Hires etc so will still be taking on DJ booking as normal, however, i'll be taking a back-seat and sending out other DJs to work them.

DJ'ing has served me well as has earned me some decent money - it's paid for my flying for a start - but now it's time to focus on my career and my lifetime passion...
    Good luck with it Scott and its been good working with you, especially memorable the night I took out the house lights in the Birmingham Club with some lighting I had just bought from someone on here --say no more

Ill bet you wont miss the Castle in Tamworth--I wont either as I vowed NEVER to play there again.

Thats the venue where they cant have a disabled lift or ramp---because of planning regs--so they just CARRY PEOPLE.

And the DJ has to take the kit up a mass of stairs. Maybe its changed.

Wishing you the best of luck moob boy.

I have been DJing on and off for 35 years both for myself and for other discos.
    Now I am getting on a bit I find carrying gear in and out hard work.
    Too fat, old and not very fit.

While I haven't done a gig for a couple of years I was just doing one when I fancied it.
    This made it more fun and exciting.

I have also been an electronics/software engineer for a similar time and was made redundant. I now just do the electronics/software in my spare time as a hobby.
    I enjoy the electronics/software much more now there is no pressure.

My main job now is a carer, where I am lucky enough to just work with one client in his own home.
    There is very little work to do so we mainly sit and watch Sky TV.
    On Saturdays we go down the pub.
    Cant be a bad job if you get paid to go to the pub !

Quote Originally Posted by ckpr2 View Post

My main job now is a carer, where I am lucky enough to just work with one client in his own home.
    I find it very hard to believe that you have very little work to do as a carer. Washing, ironing, cleaning, cooking, shopping, personal care? Don't you have any of those to do?

Quote Originally Posted by ckpr2 View Post
    I have been DJing on and off for 35 years both for myself and for other discos.
    Now I am getting on a bit I find carrying gear in and out hard work.
    Too fat, old and not very fit.

While I haven't done a gig for a couple of years I was just doing one when I fancied it.
    This made it more fun and exciting.

I have also been an electronics/software engineer for a similar time and was made redundant. I now just do the electronics/software in my spare time as a hobby.
    I enjoy the electronics/software much more now there is no pressure.

On Saturdays we go down the pub.
    Cant be a bad job if you get paid to go to the pub !
    I just remembered we had this, you might as well have it, being as "Nigel" has gone

Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

All the very best Scott.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Events Ltd View Post
    I find it very hard to believe that you have very little work to do as a carer. Washing, ironing, cleaning, cooking, shopping, personal care? Don't you have any of those to do?
    I don't start until 1pm and by then most of the work is done.
    I make his tea and someone gives me hand to put him to bed at 9pm.