Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Complaint from a customer

Default Complaint from a customer

I received a complaint this week for a customer, this is there complaint.

So you know the back story. I went to setup for the party with my business partner and one of our Event technicians who we have been training up as a DJ. once everything was setup i collected the remainder of the balance and explained to the customer that i would not be there all night and it would be my fellow business partner (whos is also a DJ) and another member of staff staying.
    I left and returned not long before we were due to finish. Packed the stuff up, said goodbye to the customer and we left.

I then recived a text message form the customer the next day asking for a refund or they would take me to court (pretyy much saying what the have said above) I explained that if they wpuld like to make a formal complaint then they would need to email us (as it says in our terms and conditions)

The customer then E-mailed about 1 week later. This was my reply including their complaint:

Dear A*****,

I am writing to you regarding a complaint you made for services we provided on **th ***** 2016.

Here is a copy of the complaint we received, and I will attempt to respond to it now:

"complaint as per conversation with Josh
    --------------------------------------------------
    I was bitterly disappointed that there was no actual dj at my party (1) . I feel you have taken our money under false pretences and false advertising (2) . We've been to many a party and the dj has always got the party started whether it be singing or a bit of banter with the guests (3). I text Josh the following day to complain however he told me to do it online . Your only 50 once and I wanted to celebrate in style . Many at the party made comments about the lack of a dj (4) and party would have been flat if it wasn't for my husband (5) . I feel I deserve a refund as your part of the contract as such was not fulfilled and I was disappointed (6) .”

(1) This part to you complaint is regarding there not being a DJ at the party.

I can confirm that there were 2 members of staff at your party, one member of staff was a DJ and the other an Event Technician who is also trained as a DJ. Therefore I can confirm there was in-fact a DJ at the party.

(2) We have discussed this part regarding you stating we have taken your money under false pretences and false advertising.

We would need you to clarify how you believe we have done this, so that we can respond accordingly.

(3) This part states that many parties you have been to, the DJ has either sung songs themselves or had “a bit of banter” with the guests.

If you had stated when booking that you wanted a Singer at your party or a DJ that also sung on karaoke we could have catered for this, unfortunately this was not communicated to us at any time until after the service was provided.

With regards to the “banter” you have discussed, I can only assume you mean that the DJ interacts with guests using the microphone. Every party is different and some guest like a lot of interaction, while others prefer to have uninterrupted music at the Disco that they can listen to and dance if they choose. If you wanted more interaction from the DJ, you could have communicated this to them at any point during the party, they would then have been able to comply with your request.

(4) This part states that many of your guests made comments about the lack of a DJ.

Please refer to point 1 regarding this part.

(5) This part states the party would have been flat if it wasn’t for your husband.

From your own admission the party was not flat as your guests were enjoying the party because of your husband. I have spoken to the staff who were working your party and they have informed me that your husband was singing on the karaoke that we were providing. This happens at a lot of parties we work at. There tends to be one singer who likes to entertain the guests and people enjoy them returning to the karaoke more than once. Had there not been someone singing on the karaoke I am confident that the DJ would have acted accordingly to entertain the guests however they feel fit.

(6) This part of your complaint, you claim you deserve a refund as our part of the contract was not fulfilled and you were disappointed.

Firstly I would like to apologise that you were disappointed. We pride ourselves in the fact that we like to go the extra mile to please our customers.

With regards to the contract, I believe we did fulfil our part. It states in our terms and conditions (which can be found on our website http://www.tfnevents/legal )
    the following:

Any issues that arise during the event must be communicated to TFN Events at the time that they arise in order for TFN Events to have an opportunity to solve the issue. TFN Events is unable to resolve issues if they are not aware of any situation that may occur during an event.

To clarify, The following issues you have raised could have been swiftly dealt with on the night:

1) If you were concerned that there was no DJ at the party you could have rang us at any point during the party or raised your concern with the members of staff present, who would have responded to your concerns and could have assured you that one of them was in-fact a DJ

3) If you wanted a singer, we needed to be informed while booking the service.If you wanted more interaction from the DJ you could have approached them and asked them to use the microphone more, to which they would have happily complied.

4) Again please refer to point (1) regarding your guests commenting on no DJ.

5) If you didn’t want your husband on the karaoke, you could have either asked him to stop yourself, or spoken to the DJ and explained that you would like the guests to be entertained in a different way, other than guests singing on the Karaoke you had asked us to provide.

As we believe we have fulfilled our part of the contract and you did not raise your concerns with us on the night (as it states in our terms and conditions.)
    We do not belive a refund is is due.

If you have any other concerns or would like us to respond to part (2) of your complaint please reply to this e-mail.

Other than part (2) we believe this matter to be dealt with.

Thank You,
    Josh Jones,
    Managing Director,
    TFN Group LTD.

Belive it or not it is the first offical complaint I have recieved.

i would like to see what you all think of my response.

Thanks
    Last edited by Excalibur; 02-04-2016 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Removed details which identified booking.

Well I know what at least one member is going to say:

COMMUNICATION.

I had a customer a year or two ago who wanted pretty much what this lady seemed to want, but the difference is, she specified all that before the event. No problem.

I had one who didn't want any unnecessary chatter, and again, this was stated beforehand. I buttoned it, and again, job done to everyone's satisfaction.

It seems to me that you may not have provided what the customer wanted, mainly because of poor communication. Lesson learned, I hope.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Personally I think your response could’ve been a bit more personal and warmer, it’s actually quite difficult to read with references to (1), (2) jumping around etc.
    Make it a bit more human, which if you think about it is what they’re complaining about.

'Firstly I would like to apologise that you were disappointed. We pride ourselves in the fact that we like to go the extra mile to please our customers.’ doesn’t come until well into your reply, words to that effect should be right at the start to acknowledge their complaint.

Don’t start arguing - 'From your own admission the party was not flat as your guests were enjoying the party because of your husband’ is unnecessary, it’s your staff’s level interactiveness being discussed, not the guests.

Did they deal with you throughout the booking process? Perhaps they felt abandoned when you said you weren’t staying?

Basically they expected a certain style of interactive DJ, in fact that’s their perception of what a proper DJ is, how much mic work did your DJ actually do?

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Well I know what at least one member is going to say:

COMMUNICATION.

I had a customer a year or two ago who wanted pretty much what this lady seemed to want, but the difference is, she specified all that before the event. No problem.

I had one who didn't want any unnecessary chatter, and again, this was stated beforehand. I buttoned it, and again, job done to everyone's satisfaction.

It seems to me that you may not have provided what the customer wanted, mainly because of poor communication. Lesson learned, I hope.
    But wouldnt you expect the customer to bend your ear Peter and say--turn it up and give them a shout Peter---get this Party started

Which has happened to me on rare occasions

Why this did not happen is weird.

I agree on the above comments, it reads like an insurance company?

My guess is that there is more to this than meets the eye as they have not included much information as to why they are dissatisfied.
    A phone call or meeting in person would have been better to gauge the situation. People who are trying it on will not be so confident in person.

My guess is they wanted a personality DJ and got someone that just stood behind the decks mixing all night?
    A totally guess at that as they/you have not provided much info as to what the problems were.
    Complainants usually justify their complaints more.

Your grammar is also a little off so may not look very professional if it does get to court level.
    Last edited by yourdj; 02-04-2016 at 07:23 PM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

I take all the comments on board.

During texts i had already apologised that she was dissatisfied and tried to informally deal with it. But she was addiment that she just wanted a refund or she is going to take me to court. That is why the E-mail is as formal as it is.

I understand now that she wanted more interaction with the DJ, The DJ would have, if the guests werent enjoying but not only was there plenty of people singing on karaoke, inbetween karoake they were dancing. I personally don't use the Mic alot unless the dance floor is empty or feel like people need encouragement. And that is how my partner also works and how we are training. The priority is to use the music to engage people. Mic is second to that. In This party the music was working so need for much mic work at all. She wanted more interaction, That is fair enough, however she had ample oppurtunity to ask during the night.

The main reason the E-mail is the way it is, is because if she does decide to take me to court that e-mail will be me main defense.

All the informal personal stuff had already been tried. Everytime i tried to engage it came back to I want a refund or ill take it further.

Did you state to her during the booking process that you might not be the person there on the night?

It sounds like the issue has pretty much arisen from this.

To be honest if I'd booked someone under the assumption that it was them I'd be seeing on the night and without warning they said "right that's us set up, I'll see you later, have a great night." I'd be pretty annoyed.

As for the other stuff, that's totally subjective and based on how your staff performed so I'm not going to comment.

Quote Originally Posted by jonezyr1 View Post
    I take all the comments on board.

During texts i had already apologised that she was dissatisfied and tried to informally deal with it. But she was addiment that she just wanted a refund or she is going to take me to court. That is why the E-mail is as formal as it is.

I understand now that she wanted more interaction with the DJ, The DJ would have, if the guests werent enjoying but not only was there plenty of people singing on karaoke, inbetween karoake they were dancing. I personally don't use the Mic alot unless the dance floor is empty or feel like people need encouragement. And that is how my partner also works and how we are training. The priority is to use the music to engage people. Mic is second to that. In This party the music was working so need for much mic work at all. She wanted more interaction, That is fair enough, however she had ample oppurtunity to ask during the night.

The main reason the E-mail is the way it is, is because if she does decide to take me to court that e-mail will be me main defense.

All the informal personal stuff had already been tried. Everytime i tried to engage it came back to I want a refund or ill take it further.
    The big question--why didnt she ask the DJ on the night to liven it up or start interacting ?

There seems no obvious answer--or reason to give a penny back.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    Did you state to her during the booking process that you might not be the person there on the night?

It sounds like the issue has pretty much arisen from this.

To be honest if I'd booked someone under the assumption that it was them I'd be seeing on the night and without warning they said "right that's us set up, I'll see you later, have a great night." I'd be pretty annoyed.

As for the other stuff, that's totally subjective and based on how your staff performed so I'm not going to comment.
    Whenever we take bookings i always explain that it might not be me there but there will be a experienced DJ, unless they speficaly want to book me. Never been an issue before and she did'nt have an issue when she booked.

as has been mention as as I've told her. The main issue is that it was not commuiciated with us at all during the night that she wanted more talking on the Mic, Thats if that is what she means. All i could get form her during all the texts and the E-mail she sent is what I've already posted.

I understand that most of you would have dealt with it differently. But would any of you given a refund?

Quote Originally Posted by jonezyr1 View Post
    I understand that most of you would have dealt with it differently. But would any of you given a refund?
    The first problem wouldn't be an issue with me as I only take personal bookings. If I can't do the gig or don't want it I'll offer to pass the details on or put them in contact with someone else but it's clearly nothing to do with me from that point on.

As for the rest of it - unless you've guaranteed that you'll have the dancefloor rammed with your witty banter merchantism then no there's not much she can say that warrants a refund unless you're feeling generous.