Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Complaint from a customer

Quote Originally Posted by ckpr2 View Post
    I would call their bluff and say "see you in court".
    That's neither helpful, constructive, nor good business practice. While it may save you £25 today, it could cost you thousands in lost bookings from bad publicity tomorrow.

I always ask for requests upfront so they cant say at the end of the night I was crap.
    I don't see any way in which
    I always ask for requests upfront
    ensures that
    so they cant say at the end of the night I was crap.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

It can get complicated.
    I had an employer refuse to pay me redundancy money.
    I won the tribunal yet he still wouldn't pay me.
    Sent in bailiffs, he still wouldn't pay.
    In the end had to get a county court judgement against him.
    He then offered to pay £50 a month.

I then got him means tested. He had just finished paying off his car at £350 a month.
    So I asked the county court to increase payments to £350 a month.

Just to be awkward he withheld the final payment, so I had to threaten him with county court again.
    He then paid up.

Does sound like they are cheezed because they expected you to play. Did you provide a disco? Did you provide a DJ? Is that what they booked?
    If answer is Yes to all of above, no refund!

You can`t keep everyone happy unfortunately. I once had a complaint and ask for a refund, cos they couldn't hear music through one of the speakers in the last hour. When I reminded them it was the groom who spewed up on the dancefloor and slipped on his own vomit, crashing into the speakers and they actually owed us money for damaged equipment, they soon went embarrassingly away.

Sounds like they expected a lot of banter from the DJ's.

I prefer to introduce the disco, inform buffet time, shout last orders and then thank people for coming.
    The music is 99% known to the people anyway so not much point introducing it.
    If its a good but rare track or something brand new I will introduce it.

Quote Originally Posted by TONYTIGER View Post
    I might have missed this but any professional company would have issued a contract signed by both parties on it would include the name of the DJ and be signed by him.
    All of our contracts are between the the client and the company. We will
    Never require a member of staff to sign a contract for this nature of business unless it's on behalf of the company. My company agrees to provide the services.

No professional company would ever have the agreement between the client and a member of staff. What if that particular member of staff decided to leave the company? Or could not make it to that particular booking? I know most contracts would Have clauses so that if the DJ fell ill
    They would find a replacement or refund any money paid etc..... However our contracts say we will provide a DJ etc. Obviously if a client requested a particular DJ because they had seen them before or been recommended by a friend then we would happily oblige if we could.

I'm pretty sure most contracts I sign are as a customer are between me and a company. Last time I got a contract for my phone it was with EE not "John" from carphone warehouse, even though he is the person who dealt with me from start to end.

I believe the company I run is professional even though I do not require my staff to enter into binding contracts.

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jonezyr1 View Post
    No professional company would ever have the agreement between the client and a member of staff.
    I have nothing new to add to the initial point of this topic, but in response to the quoted, that's exactly how I work. If I'm not available for a booking, I pass on the gig to a partner DJ but I'll handle the booking. In the agreement, it states the name of the DJ and the DJ in question knows that it's his or her gig.

I have no opinion on you not doing that, but that comment there suggests that you perceive the way I run business as not as professional, and I very much dispute that.

Quote Originally Posted by jonezyr1 View Post
    I believe the company I run is professional even though I do not require my staff to enter into binding contracts.
    How many staff in your company and what sort of employment contract do they have?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    Did you state to her during the booking process that you might not be the person there on the night?

It sounds like the issue has pretty much arisen from this.

To be honest if I'd booked someone under the assumption that it was them I'd be seeing on the night and without warning they said "right that's us set up, I'll see you later, have a great night." I'd be pretty annoyed.

As for the other stuff, that's totally subjective and based on how your staff performed so I'm not going to comment.
    I would state that this is irrelevant. The contract clearly would be with "TFN Events". If it didn't give a named DJ then the client has no come back on this as they've agreed to have their entertainment provided by a business rather than a named individual. Can you imagine that defence in court? "Yes, M'lud. I know I signed a contract with TFN Events but I assumed they'd be sending David Guetta"!! You know what to "assume" is? Case dismissed!

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    The $64,000 question. Whether it is nobler to offer a refund because of the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or take umbrage over a troubled customer.

Unless you're sure she's trying it on, it may be the case that a refund saves you money in the long run. Dissatisfied customers aren't a good advert.

A gentle answer turneth away wrath, but a harsh word stirreth up anger.
    Some clients do try it on. The one time I worked for a local agent I ended up with a complaint. The lady who complained left after the meal and didn't even stay for the disco yet she said I was too loud! She said I didn't play any of her requests (I played them all and proved it with a printout from VDJ) and that I "looked too rough and ready for their function"!!! How the hell am I supposed how I look? It wasn't a wedding but I went dressed exactly as I do for every wedding I work. I put together a detailed reply addressing all of the clients concerns, which was accepted by both the agent and the client and guess what? The agent still gave her a partial refund. Because she was a good repeat client. I'd be a good repeat client to a business if they kept giving me my money back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    And this is where it went wrong. So it sounds like she's booked you, communicated with you, you've turned up on the night, taken the money, and only then mention you're not the DJ! Even explaining that "you're not there all night" is a negative - it comes across like you should have been there all night but won't be now. Far better to have said - and here's XXX who is your DJ tonight, and introduced them to your client properly.

That should have been detailed well in advance of the evening.

Sounds like she was expecting you to be the DJ, and therefore would be looking for faults for the rest of the evening - imagining a far better evening had you been DJ'ing (ie the person she booked).
    Disagree as the the agreement would have been with the company "TFN Events" and not an individual DJ. We never use a named DJ on our contracts as, if something happens at the last minute and the original DJ can't perform, we are entitled to substitute another. That's why my business is Lightning Disco and not DJ Dazzy D!

Quote Originally Posted by TONYTIGER View Post
    I might have missed this but any professional company would have issued a contract signed by both parties on it would include the name of the DJ and be signed by him.
    Totally disagree on this one. When I do work for a multi-op, I have no agreements signed with the client. The client has their agreement for the provision of services with the company and I have my agreement with the company to also provide services to the company. It's two separate agreements and it's always worked that way. Even with other agents I've worked for it's been that way.

I would call their bluff and say "see you in court".

Its very expensive for them to try to sue you.
    On top of that they need to prove it was a poor gig and they that they didn't get what they said they wanted.

At best they would only get a partial refund as a disco/karaoke was present and done.
    Also they didn't complain on the night before the disco ended.

I always ask for requests upfront so they cant say at the end of the night I was crap.
    No it isn't. It's about £25-30!

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    Whilst it is cheap, if you lose, you can be forced to pay the costs of the defendant, so that's a deterrent.
    I don't know if that's true anymore, either. I think the rules changed so costs aren't awarded anymore. During my equal pay claim against my employer last year we certainly weren't allowed to have costs included even though we won our cases.
    Last edited by DazzyD; 04-04-2016 at 08:50 AM.
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    I have nothing new to add to the initial point of this topic, but in response to the quoted, that's exactly how I work. If I'm not available for a booking, I pass on the gig to a partner DJ but I'll handle the booking. In the agreement, it states the name of the DJ and the DJ in question knows that it's his or her gig.

I have no opinion on you not doing that, but that comment there suggests that you perceive the way I run business as not as professional, and I very much dispute that.
    I think you missed the point I was making Benny, if your a sole trader and trading under your DJ name then of course it would have the DJS name in the contract as the DJ is the company. If you then pass it on to another DJ you are passing it on to another company. So agreements may be between DJ's and clients If the DJ is the company. I never said that it was unprofessional to do that. I am saying I believe it to be unprofessional to have staff who work directly for you under there own employment contract to have to enter into contracts with your clients other than on behalf of the company they work for.

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    How many staff in your company and what sort of employment contract do they have?
    I have 5 staff in my company that are employed, 3 of them are DJ's (as well as being trained in other aspects of the business) plus I have a couple of people who work for me freelance/self employed.

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    That not valid--you have spelt his name incorrectly