Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Complaint from a customer

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    Roadies? Roadies????

To be fair though....he has a point. When I did this back in the good old days of the 1980's, the roadie had an ancillary job of actually finding the next track in the milk crates full of plastic discs - there was a kind of teamwork going on.

What do they do now? Load in and help set up....sit in the van for 4-5 hours, pack up. Not the most exciting way to spend a Saturday night really
    We could have up to 4 DJ's. Just before each DJ went on he would pick out a few vinyl tracks to keep him going.
    4 DJ's definitely made setting up and taking down much easier.

I quite often took my girlfriend and if no one was dancing we would get up and dance to get things rolling.

If I was as fit now as I was in the 1970's I would still be doing gigs.
    Having to shift the lot 4 times in one night was hard graft. House 2 car, car 2 gig, gig 2 car and car 2 house.
    At least it is just a laptop these days instead of boxes of CD's.

My Event technicians tasks can vary depending on the job.

When it comes to The discos, Their main duties (other than keeping the DJ company) would be:

Deliver and collect the equipment to the venue.
    Fill out Risk Assessments.
    Test the venue's electrical sockets using the RCD testers.
    Unload the equipment and re-load at end of event.
    Set up and set down the equipment.
    Monitor sound levels during the night.
    And finally, Assist the DJ with his duties when needed. eg, Find and download (Legally) a Song that has been requested that is not currently in our library.

There maybe other things, but off the top of my head thats is roughly what they do.

As has been metioned, they are basicaly a roadie when it comes to Disco's, but they do have other duties within the business.

Quote Originally Posted by jonezyr1 View Post
    My Event technicians tasks can vary depending on the job.

When it comes to The discos, Their main duties (other than keeping the DJ company) would be:

Deliver and collect the equipment to the venue.
    Fill out Risk Assessments.
    Test the venue's electrical sockets using the RCD testers.
    Unload the equipment and re-load at end of event.
    Set up and set down the equipment.
    Monitor sound levels during the night.
    And finally, Assist the DJ with his duties when needed. eg, Find and download (Legally) a Song that has been requested that is not currently in our library.

There maybe other things, but off the top of my head thats is roughly what they do.

As has been metioned, they are basicaly a roadie when it comes to Disco's, but they do have other duties within the business.

Considering your prices (from £189) how do you make a profit when employing two people? Thats a non related question so don't feel like you have to answer it, i have just been wondering as the DJ must not get a lot after the client paying you commission, your expenses and then also paying an event technician, which lets face it any decent DJ can do all that. Fair enough if you have a Photo Booth, but is still only £110 on top (£299). The going rate for a Photo Booth 'rand ere' is at least £275 if not £450 on its own.

The figures don't add up as you must only be paying the DJ about £100, which is most probably the route of your problem. I had more complaints when I was charging next to nothing (at the time £225) providing a far more reasonable service, compared to other guys at my price bracket. Its up to you with pricing, but if you got better more expensive DJ's, then my guess is the complaint would not have happened.o i The only complaints I ever had was when i was using DJ's that may have had good kit and could DJ had no idea about customer service and general common decency.
    Last edited by yourdj; 06-04-2016 at 05:10 AM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    Then I sir, am a lot more advanced than you

Mine's all controlled by a new fangled 'pooter thingy. I just click on the show I want and hey-presto
    I use different scenes so the lights change as the song changes.

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    Considering your prices (from £189) how do you make a profit when employing two people? Thats a non related question so don't feel like you have to answer it, i have just been wondering as the DJ must not get a lot after the client paying you commission, your expenses and then also paying an event technician, which lets face it any decent DJ can do all that. Fair enough if you have a Photo Booth, but is still only £110 on top (£299). The going rate for a Photo Booth 'rand ere' is at least £275 if not £450 on its own.

The figures don't add up as you must only be paying the DJ about £100, which is most probably the route of your problem. I had more complaints when I was charging next to nothing (at the time £225) providing a far more reasonable service, compared to other guys at my price bracket. Its up to you with pricing, but if you got better more expensive DJ's, then my guess is the complaint would not have happened.o i The only complaints I ever had was when i was using DJ's that may have had good kit and could DJ had no idea about customer service and general common decency.
    I’ll class this as as we really don’t want to go down the blackhole that is “Price Threads’.

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    I’ll class this as as we really don’t want to go down the blackhole that is “Price Threads’.
    Fair enough. Price threads are boring.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post

It is off topic but i'm willing to give a brief answer.

Our DJ's and Event Technicians don't just work one day a week to earn money with us. We have a couple of week day residencies in pubs/clubs and they work them every week, as well as any friday and saturday mobile disco bookings. on average we will have 2 disco bookings on a saturday which means our costs can be spread across them both. On top of the discos, as i have previously stated, we do offer other services so our profits come from across the board. Obviosuly there is alot more profit when it's myself or partner working the disco's, and there is not alot left over after we pay staff wages if it's not myslef or my partner working it. But it's still proffit at the end of the day.

Because we can offer more than 6 hours or 1 nights work to our DJ's we believe we are getting good quality DJ's. One of our DJ's is getting 20+ hours a week so they are getting a decent wage for a few evening's work, as well as their "day job".

I think this thread has been off topic for a long time... wasn't the question "what do you think of my response?".
    I'm not saying I've not contributed to it but surely roadies, lighting effects, pricing is a good Bristol from London!

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Quote Originally Posted by ukpartydj View Post
    I think this thread has been off topic for a long time... wasn't the question "what do you think of my response?".
    I'm not saying I've not contributed to it but surely roadies, lighting effects, pricing is a good Bristol from London!

I'm amazed it's gone on this long, to be honest. I can't believe it got much further after Corabar Steve's post!
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Quote Originally Posted by ukpartydj View Post

A certain amount of off-topic is to be expected in any conversation - but bringing pricing into it is just a topic too far.

So once again no more pricing or comments about off-topic please or we’ll be truly waylaid.