Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: A tale of speaker woes. ( And good luck )

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    Lastly.... I've heard The Box stuff is alright but won't rattle the optics from 20 metres away. If you want earth shattering bass you need at least 4 18" subs in mahoosive cabs end of story. Laws of physics & all that.
    I'm not so sure about that, several years ago I did a combined 18th / 21st party using 4 x Mackie SWA1501s with 2 x SA1521s turned up loud, which were shaking glasses off tables in the vicinity of the booth
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Pe7e View Post
    I'm not so sure about that, several years ago I did a combined 18th / 21st party using 4 x Mackie SWA1501s with 2 x SA1521s turned up loud, which were shaking glasses off tables in the vicinity of the booth
    Yeah but had they been 18" bins you'd be saying WHAT TABLES.

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    Lastly.... I've heard The Box stuff is alright but won't rattle the optics from 20 metres away. If you want earth shattering bass you need at least 4 18" subs in mahoosive cabs end of story. Laws of physics & all that.
    I'd love to have some earth shattering bass but the truth is I don't have the space to store, or the inclination to lug about, a pair of huge 18" subs. I'd be happy enough with something manageable to replace my speaker tripods and add a little extra depth to the bottom end.

Incidentally Peter, I was looking at adding a pair of10" passives if I opted for the IMG but it would be useful to be able to use them with the Yamahas as well on occasion. Is there something I'm not aware of that would make that inviable? Could I run things the other way and send the signal from the Yamahas to the subs?

Quote Originally Posted by Casual77 View Post
    I'd love to have some earth shattering bass
    And it depends on your application.

For a wedding, 12 inch subs are far more suitable to provide a nice bit of punch, than 18 inch subs, where the earth shattering bass will annoy grandma - yet sit very nicely ratting the ribcages at an 18th birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post

For a wedding, 12 inch subs are far more suitable to provide a nice bit of punch, than 18 inch subs, where the earth shattering bass will annoy grandma - yet sit very nicely ratting the ribcages at an 18th birthday.
    Agreed and it's the weddings I'm looking to cater for primarily. I've got four sizeable marquee weddings coming up over the next two months and I just don't think a pair of 12" tops on their own will really cut it. If I'm going to get something to add to them I'm thinking I may as well get them now when they will get some use.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post

Absolutely correct. Advice which some folk would do well to take on board.

Incidentally Peter, I was looking at adding a pair of10" passives if I opted for the IMG but it would be useful to be able to use them with the Yamahas as well on occasion. Is there something I'm not aware of that would make that inviable? Could I run things the other way and send the signal from the Yamahas to the subs?
    OK, long answer coming up. If the Yamahas have facility to drop the low frequencies off, you could run them either way. You'd need to do this as the line output from this sub appears to be a full range link, not filtered, so active tops would thus get a full range signal, which may not be the way you want to run. I know Justin for one does this.

If you were to get a pair of passive tens, unless you wanted to buy an amp, you'd need the sub to be able to use them. Actives would be more versatile.

In the old days, running amplifiers with no load ( speakers ) could easily damage them. Nowadays I'm not sure, but it's still not good practice. If you were using the IMG sub with passive tops, you'd need some form of backup in case of failure. If you were using active tops and a sub, if the sub ceased to function, you could ( probably ) carry on without it with a spot of rewiring.

Re using them with your Yamahas, again you'll need an amp of some sort, as the Yamahas don't have the facility to drive a passive cab like LD and HK can do.

They may easily do what you want, but not as elegantly and easily as other options.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Absolutely correct. Advice which some folk would do well to take on board.

OK, long answer coming up. If the Yamahas have facility to drop the low frequencies off, you could run them either way. You'd need to do this as the line output from this sub appears to be a full range link, not filtered, so active tops would thus get a full range signal, which may not be the way you want to run. I know Justin for one does this.

If you were to get a pair of passive tens, unless you wanted to buy an amp, you'd need the sub to be able to use them. Actives would be more versatile.

In the old days, running amplifiers with no load ( speakers ) could easily damage them. Nowadays I'm not sure, but it's still not good practice. If you were using the IMG sub with passive tops, you'd need some form of backup in case of failure. If you were using active tops and a sub, if the sub ceased to function, you could ( probably ) carry on without it with a spot of rewiring.

Re using them with your Yamahas, again you'll need an amp of some sort, as the Yamahas don't have the facility to drive a passive cab like LD and HK can do.

They may easily do what you want, but not as elegantly and easily as other options.
    Thanks for that Peter

I generally do the same as Justin and run a full signal to my tops because I prefer the fuller sound and feel that the Yamahas can cope with whatever is thrown at them. Fate works in strange ways though and my plans have changed again. I got in from a family wedding in Dorset last night and someone had newly listed a pair of used Alto Tsub12s on eBay so I put in an offer and he thankfully accepted. I'm just en route to Devizes (which fortunately happens to be pretty much on my route home) to hopefully pick them up. I'm just hoping he gets my message in the next hour because he's not expecting me today and I've got no idea what the collection address is!

Did I say you need earth shattering bass at a wedding?

I'm really impressed by my little Db bin. It fared very well last night with the material I chucked at it. The bassline of kevin Lyttle's Turn Me On sounded lovely. Pity about the vocal like but hey. Granted I push it fairly hard. At peak time the limit LED flashes with the beat but I make sure the tops dont hit their limiter too.

Thanks for that Peter

I generally do the same as Justin and run a full signal to my tops because I prefer the fuller sound and feel that the Yamahas can cope with whatever is thrown at them. Fate works in strange ways though and my plans have changed again. I got in from a family wedding in Dorset last night and someone had newly listed a pair of used Alto Tsub12s on eBay so I put in an offer and he thankfully accepted. I'm just en route to Devizes (which fortunately happens to be pretty much on my route home) to hopefully pick them up. I'm just hoping he gets my message in the next hour because he's not expecting me today and I've got no idea what the collection address is!
    Let us know how the Altos sound, im hoping to sound test a 15 this coming week, I know Peter isnt too keen--ill see what my ears think.

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY K View Post
    Let us know how the Altos sound, im hoping to sound test a 15 this coming week, I know Peter isnt too keen--ill see what my ears think.

Yes will do. I have picked them up today and they look to be immaculate and a bit of a bargain for what I paid for them. I've just invested in a pair of K&M speaker poles which will hopefully arrive tomorrow and I'll be able to give them a proper sound test.

I already own a Tsub15 and would say it is solid if unspectacular. I considered buying a second one so I could have a matching pair but there's no way I would get a pair of them in my car along with the rest of my gear. Hopefully the smaller 12"s will do a reasonable job and if not I'm sure I can move them on for what I paid for them.