Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What’s in a name....

Default What’s in a name....

Should a new website have a descriptive name or something totally abstract?

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    Should a new website have a descriptive name or something totally abstract?
    Well if its a Disco based service presumably the word DJ, Disco or Entertainment should ideally appear somewhere?

Or is this a QI type trick question

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY K View Post
    Well if its a Disco based service presumably the word DJ, Disco or Entertainment should ideally appear somewhere?

Or is this a QI type trick question
    No trick question, just opening up a discussion.

SEO should take care of the search terms like DJ, Disco etc so do they need to be in the name? Would something totally original and unexpected stand out from the masses?

No trick question, just opening up a discussion.

SEO should take care of the search terms like DJ, Disco etc so do they need to be in the name? Would something totally original and unexpected stand out from the masses?
    How about WE ARE THE CHEAPEST DISCO IN TOWN?

Only joking, Im still not sure its a good idea to NOT have Disco in the title for SEO.

Marc may be able to guide you.

However I guess Amazon and Google dont exactly give you a clue.

But then WAL MART and TALK TALK do.

There's a lot of clever and very cool names out there which seem unrelated to the businesses they represent but somehow work once you tie the name to the company. Can make them memorable. The biggest one that springs to mind is Virgin. Then there's Zoopla and Kellogs! Those names don't reflect what they do so I get where you're coming from.
    There used to be a disco company called Juliana's who built a classy reputation many years ago in London.

Quote Originally Posted by musicology View Post
    There's a lot of clever and very cool names out there which seem unrelated to the businesses they represent but somehow work once you tie the name to the company. Can make them memorable. The biggest one that springs to mind is Virgin. Then there's Zoopla and Kellogs! Those names don't reflect what they do so I get where you're coming from.
    There used to be a disco company called Juliana's who built a classy reputation many years ago in London.
    And of course an ambigious name can still be used as a brand if you decide to branch out into other fields, like Virgin etc.

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Mine seems pretty memorable for a lot of folk.

And of course an ambigious name can still be used as a brand if you decide to branch out into other fields, like Virgin etc.
    Unless, of course you set up the a now defunct branch of that company. Anyone remember "Virgin Brides"? (and yes, it was a Branson company and NO....it was definitely NOT one of THOSE websites ).

It's all about tying the name in with the brand. As has already been mentioned, Amazon is synonymous with online retailing, Kellogs with cereal, and who in the world would logically associate LEGO with a plastic brick?

There's several mobile setups in my area where the site name mentions nothing about disco, entertainment, DJ etc. They all feature fairly high up on the rankings due to the holy grail.....unique, interesting and RELEVANT content.

The best example of all of this would probably be Hoover. We all know they make and sell vacuum cleaners (as do Electrolux, Vax, Dyson and others)....but they're always called Hoovers......really nice brand recognition there

Quote Originally Posted by musicology View Post
    Then there's Zoopla and Kellogs! Those names don't reflect what they do
    Neither do Harrods, Sainsbury's, Selfridges, or WH Smith, but they seem to do OK. Although they are all named for / after their founders. Now there's an idea Martin.

To my knowledge there was never a Mr Zoopla.
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Original isn't always great though. I remember using a DJ who had created a name which sounded like an 80s horror movie. I to this day cannot remember how to pronounce or spell it.

Couldn't comment on original names.. I've got "ukpartydj", "Dorsetdj" & "rightdj"... Although now I'm branching out and doing non-dj related things I can appreciate how an unrelated word could help!

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD