Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Radio silence from customer.

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY K View Post
    Yep im on 7 days generally now--there is rarely an excuse to take longer other than Corporate Accounts or holidays, OR you are dealing with a time waster thats preventing you from taking another genuine gig.

Lets hope Peter is making some progress.
    It just makes it very clear. I have had some people take time to complete the transaction - even those saying they will get round to it - and they often do - but many don't, and it just ensures there can be no comeback. By setting out the terms very clearly at the start ensures there's no issues further down the line.

I think a large proportion of "radio silence"s are borne out of the fact that some clients (remember - the vast majority of people have never booked a DJ before) are surprised at the fact they are being asked for a deposit at the booking stage, and are not in a position to pay this (or are not prepared to pay this) at the time of the enquiry.

On learning of the deposit requirement, many will do the "British" thing of acting politely and pretending to go through the motions anyway rather than being honest and stating their situation / reticence. Some will drag it out until they have the funds and then complete the booking, others will keep looking until they find a 'cash on the night' DJ which is what they were hoping to find in the first place.

Has anyone considered or tried 'contract within 7 days; deposit within 30 days' and making the deposit payment part of the contract?
    Does everyone ASK the client whether they were comfortable with and are OK with paying the deposit? Does this cause them any cashflow problems?
    Does everyone offer credit card payments over the phone?
    ... or is this not really a problem for most, just an occasional inconvenience that's part and parcel of the job and not really worth changing procedures for?

... just a few random thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Vectis View Post
    I think a large proportion of "radio silence"s are borne out of the fact that some clients (remember - the vast majority of people have never booked a DJ before) are surprised at the fact they are being asked for a deposit at the booking stage, and are not in a position to pay this (or are not prepared to pay this) at the time of the enquiry.
    Mayhap. I always make clear how the process works, and in this case the customer specified when they would be able to pay the deposit. Contract wasn't signed, and since sending out contract, total silence.

Thanks for your thoughts Martin, good points well made.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Mayhap. I always make clear how the process works, and in this case the customer specified when they would be able to pay the deposit. Contract wasn't signed, and since sending out contract, total silence.

Thanks for your thoughts Martin, good points well made.
    I would be surprised if people DID NOT EXPECT to pay a deposit as a method of securing the booking.

In an industry which is similar to Travel or Theatre ie fixed dates involved--- why wouldnt people feel reassured that their important event was BOOKED IN SECURELY and they were unlikely to get let down.

Equally what business model thinks not taking a deposit and relying in cash on the night ( providing the customer scraped enough together) was a good way to go

On investigation my spies on facebook ( im not there) report sad stories of such operators going bust and ruining customers events.

Well theres a surprise Cilla.

In 6 years of agency and 50 years of entertaining I have never found anyone who has a problem with deposit, Contract balance cash on night or cleared funds before event.

Yeah a few threats to chase up debts obviously over the years..

I have no worries about being paid in cash on the night providing a goodwill payment and evidence of having some affordability ie booking fee/deposit is paid and Contract signed.

To suggest the customer cant afford a deposit I find worrying--only happened once and I only let the event stand as the performers agreed to take the risk ( not me) they got paid but never again.

In summary, most customers from all levels of income and wealth are very keen to pay a deposit up front.

Peter, i think you are dealing with a time waster but i hope you are not