Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wireless DMX.....where do I start?

Mine didn't work first time either cos I'd got the hot & cold pins of the DMX side crossed over. Don't worry too much about it - it shouldn't hurt anything. Just cross em over & try again

I've read somewhere that even in the same shipments from suppliers there are boards which say one thing on the printed legend & are something else. Again this is only on the DMX side & not power thankfully.

If you got them to power up & LEDs to flash you're well on your way.

Oh and remember there's also a possibility to get the DMX wiring wrong at the transmitter end as well as the receiving end

I recommend the first thing you try is to wire the transmitter up. You'll know it's working because the LED on the wireless board will start to flash green. NB you need to have a DMX control program open & sending to the USB dongle for this to work. Even if nothing's happening it'll still be sending data.

That done, power up the receiving end & its LED should flash red to indicate it's getting data from the transmitter.
    Last edited by Nakatomi; 05-05-2016 at 01:33 AM.

WhooooHoooooo!!!!!

OK - flashing colours are the wrong way around (which confused no end for a while)....the transmitter is flashing red and the receiver green but not to worry....I have a Mega TriPar running on wireless DMX That wasn't so hard was it

My chap that sticks plugs into meters and sticks labels on my lights has OK'd what I've done....so that's good too
    The poor old EnTec box looks a bit of a mess as the wireless board is a little to long for it....I'll find another box to house that in somewhere, it's only 5v and not testable as powered direct from USB (it'll also be hidden in the flightcase anyway)

Soooo - I've just opened the cover of the piece-de-resistance and the very reason for wanting to go down this route. To be honest, the inner workings of the Jaguar MSD250 are frightening at the moment.....it's a bit more than the 12v I've just been poking around in

Can't find anything lower than 12v at the moment but I'm sure with a little more poking around I'll either hit something that's 5v or something that goes bang (there's a LOT of big capacitors on the main board.....eeeek!)

If you can disconnect the power input from the lamp ballast, do so. It'll make working with the case open & powered much safer.

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    If you can disconnect the power input from the lamp ballast, do so. It'll make working with the case open & powered much safer.
    Already done that (don't want to touch that one whilst it's running)

I've found an 8v supply.....need to keep looking

Its very easy to do it the wrong way round, even when you have checked.
    They tend to mix up the wires and colours, so you have to look at the board also.

Great when it all works though.
    Last edited by yourdj; 05-05-2016 at 09:09 PM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    This is my system now (I have been through al manner of systems now).
    I looked at the ADJ unit and prefer this one for various reasons.

I used to use sender boxes, but find that just using the light as a master in the booth is easier now. Its basically what you see below. That sends the signal to all the other lights. Not had a problem with range (better than the sender boxes) but I have a larger arial is required. Marquees, for example. The little router for example only stretches about 10 metres clear space, so you could opt for a box router if you want to control it from a distance from the cutey box.

All you need is:

1: Cuety box: £220
    2: router: £20
    3: iPad & sender/light.

I have put a wireless receiver in one of my bar lights, there is a separate thread on that.

Newbie Post.....found this video very informative, thanks

Default 5v... where?

Sorry to drag up an old post, but I'm trying to retrofit 8 adj megatripar profile pluses and wondered if you managed to give a 5v rail and if you had a picture of it?

I'd be very grateful for some simple pointers.

Jon

I might just have a photo which'll help somewhere.. I've already done some investigation of the same mod for a friend...

Thanks.

I totally dismantled one yesterday and there's a perfect spot for the wireless pcb. The aerial is less obvious but think I have a workable solution. Dmx is buried on the lower board but still easy enough to get to.

Just need power!

Quote Originally Posted by jonb67 View Post
    Sorry to drag up an old post, but I'm trying to retrofit 8 adj megatripar profile pluses and wondered if you managed to give a 5v rail and if you had a picture of it?

I'd be very grateful for some simple pointers.

Jon
    Hello Jon.
    Sorry, I'm not knowledgeable enough to help with your quest, but welcome along to the Forum, and could I ask you to pop across to the Newbies section and say hello. We're a nosey lot, and like to know who we're typing to. Thanks.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk