Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Wireless DMX.....where do I start?

I've done one and it all fits in quite nicely (although tight....there ain't a lot of room in those things).

I'll take a photo next time I'm up at my store in the next couple of days. I seem to remember that was one of the few fixtures I've got where there's a direct 5v supply instead of using step-downs.

That would be fantastic imagine. Thank you.

I'm sick of DMX cables and can't wait to get rid of them!

Default If you want a job doing...

Ok, got bored of waiting and ripped its guts out, plugged it in and went at it with a multimeter.

Job is basically this (usual disclaimers apply - all at your own risk, this is just what I did. If, like me, you have no idea what you're doing contact a qualified electrician and an undertaker. You'll probably need them both in due course)

Unplug the thing and take the power lead out.

Keep at the screws in order of removal or put them on a sheet of paper so you can write which ones they are. You wont remember.

Remove the plastic surround
    Remove the cover plate with the lenses and fold over to one side
    Remove the Led and fold over to the other side. (if you [peek around the edge of it you can see which 4 screws it is as they are in pedestals)

Take pictures of everything. Inside and out. It'll help if you cant remember which way up connectors go later.

Take the strap off the 24 power adapter and the remove it and the mounting cradle it sits in.
    Unclip the lens plate connector, unscrew earth strap and remove
    Unclip the led plate and you can now set this aside with its power adapter.

Take both dmx sockets out and unclip the connector. Set aside.
    Pull the earth lead and remove the lower PCB.

You have 4 leads on your wireless ground, signal +, signal -, and 5volts

IGNORE THE COLOURS. find out which is which.

on my lights there were 5 unsoldered connections. Silk screen printing had 4 clustered as P4 and one on its own as SWI. This gave 5v constantly so I soldered the 5v power feed here.

I soldered the DMX cables to the back of the pcb opposite side from where the connector clips the chassis sockets in. Ground is nearest the edge of the board. Signal - is next and signal + is nearest the yellow rectangular capacitor.

I drilled a 7mm hole next to the dmx out so the cable folds across the power out socket when not in use. Be careful to put it tight to the return wall so you avoid the power adapter cradle and far enough down that the power adapter doesn't interfere with it.

Put the lower pcb back in and refit everything in reverse order from removal. double check the earths are on.

that's all for now. Just need to drill two holes for the led and press button on the flat area between the silk screen printing of the words "power out" and "DMX out" and mount the PCB. I haven't done this yet but am working on it.