Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Another good reason not to use anything Apple

Default Another good reason not to use anything Apple

Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

At the very least, a cast iron reason to backup your files offline regularly.

Basically, evidence that certain software , not only Apple based stuff, " takes over " things on your PC it shouldn't.

And what I actually think is a mixture of astonishment and disbelief, tinged with a touch of "I told you so ", described in language featuring many expletives.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

But the shiny! THE SHINY!

Nah. Deleting original files is a definite no-no for any software to do behind the user's back. I remember letting a tagging program (think it was MediaMonkey) loose on my home music collection once.. it very quickly became useless. Filenames were silly & the track metadata was mangled too.

I'm in the process of developing a tagging tool to automatically tag the release year (derived from the year it first charted) of tracks just to save myself a lot of aggro - and even then I won't allow it to go across my entire library in one swoop.

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Steve View Post
    Im confused over this, so correct me if im wrong--presumably these people were paying for a subscription service.

I only download from I tunes and have my collection( which is not all itunes downloads) on my main PC, as well as i pods obviously ( which is a back up ) and on my disco hard drive which is almost a replica.

Whilst this all sounds bad news surely there should always be backup, presumably this person could just as easily lost all their music if the hard drive on the computer crashed and burned.

Why this person in the music business entrusted his collection to one place is strange.

Isnt backup something WE ALWAYS KEEP GOING ON ABOUT ON HERE on a regular basis?

INCIDENTALLY, MICROSOFT ARE JUST AS BAD.

They kept trying to persuade me to upgrade to Windows 10 even though I like Windows 7.

One day I returned to my Computer to find it was in a state where I could not get rid of the request to upgrade.

I pulled the plug out and left it.

A bit later I found a message saying that an attempt to upgrade to Windows 10 had failed---whaaaat I didnt do that--it was Microsoft.

It then said it was going to have to completely reinstate Windows 7 and chugged away for about 45 minutes before restoring Windows 7.

There was NO way I asked for the upgrade.

Sinister or WHAT ??????
    Last edited by CRAZY K; 05-05-2016 at 04:10 PM.

The original blog post says he got his music back by restoring a backup. The subject of his ire was that Apple shouldn't have deleted it to store it on their servers anyway.

That & the fact that tracks were replaced with different versions just because of a common title & artist / filename.

Also the fact it uploaded music that he'd composed himself altered the bitrate & he had to use apple music to listen to his own music.
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Ha! My tin foil hat doesn't seem so foolish now, does it? You all thought I was insane, but I told you - I TOLD YOU ALL!!!

But yeah, Apple bad. I've never owned an Apple product as it doesn't suit my needs and it certainly looks like that won't change in the immediate future.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    Ha! My tin foil hat doesn't seem so foolish now, does it? You all thought I was insane, but I told you - I TOLD YOU ALL!!!

But yeah, Apple bad. I've never owned an Apple product as it doesn't suit my needs and it certainly looks like that won't change in the immediate future.
    Well im not surprised, Apple, Google and Microsoft are huge Corporations who take the ....... out of customers and Governments.

The Music guy though had back ups (apparently) so presumably his original versions were backed up---although Apple are clearly taking the .......I agree.

I still use Apple because it suits me ( with full back up) to use i pods and Google havent upset me yet.

If you buy laptops then probably you are stuck with Microsoft Windows or maybe Apple.

i think you have to accept these companies are above the "rules" and no one especially the Government is going to do anything--the latest reports over Google acquiring medical records proves the point.

Perhaps it s the price we have to pay for all this FREE technology--

The one area that would worry me is all the data stored on CLOUDS.

IM KEEPING WELL AWAY FROM THAT!

I have 3 macbook pros, an iPhone 5c, 2 x 3g's, iPad mini, iPod touch, but I would consider going for a samsung tablet & phone after buying my wife one as its splendid for the money, especially the phone and the camera it has (not tried an iPhone 6 mind you).

As everything else is Apple then it makes sense. I must say my Macbook 2012 i7's are superb, i have not had any problems with them and use them about 5-10 hours a day on average. Not spot sure on the tablets and phones as other companies have ripped off all their ideas and are now improving on them. Takes the biscuit if you ask me, i walked into an electronics store the other day and I could not work out the mac section from the other laptops as they all look identical now. Wass not the case a few years back. Same with the tablets, so kudos to Apple for coming up with most of the initial ideas for these amazing products.

I don't really trust cloud computing tbh, so have opted to stick to the older style macbook pro and install 1 x 2 tb HD and 1 x 500 gb SSD instead of the puny little SSD systems you get now.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Bizarre, I subscribed to Apple Music and none of my music was deleted/moved/uploaded.

Sounds like pilot error somewhere down the line if you ask me because what that blog describes is iTunes match...yet the blog reports it's Apple Music.

Apple Music is just like Spotify...and that's it.

iTunes Match goes through your library, matches it to songs already in the cloud, uploads the ones that aren't and makes them available on ALL of your devices. It doesn't actually delete anything.

Sounds like she/he did the match thing and somehow deleted all of their songs locally.
    just ian
    Wedding DJ - DISCOfever