Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Websites - Pro or D.I.Y.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakermaker Promotions View Post
    I think I will put it on hold for the moment but a lot of people have recommended Marc so if he's out there, I'll be in touch at some point (hopefully).
    First - thanks for all the recommendations in this thread

I'm currently not free for design work, however I'm always available for a quick chat if you're looking for advice.

Wordpress is a hosted CMS and so your site is split between the uploaded files (which are basically the WP core files, and any themes / plugins you add to it) and the content, which is held in the database. It's not straightforward to make a WP site locally and then publish it like you're used to with Dreamweaver (although there are things like XAMPP - www.apachefriends.org - which will let you install a PHP / MySQL server on your Windows PC, but that's not for the light hearted).

I've found a hosted WIP location which is then switched to a the live "www" location is the preferred method if you're new to Wordpress, and if you want to give it a go I could set you up on a subdomain of your main domain (e.g. http://wp-wip.yourdomain.com) and you could safely find your way around that way. If you then wanted to make what you end up with live, it's an easy process to move it to the "www" version...

Many thanks for the advice Marc, much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by ukpartydj View Post
    I get 5000 for £35. 300gsm, double sided full colour from a company called I love flyers
    Basically business card sized flyers then (I used to own a print business). Thats more than professional enough and very cost effective.

I am a 400 gsm or above man when it comes to business cards. Would always go matt lam even with the Photo Booth cards.
    I know I could get them cheaper probably but I like Solopress, great business.

Any more than 500 for business cards and they end up sitting in the garage for years and normally outlive a rebrand. I hate the waste of throwing them out. I still have a box of brochures (50p each) that I don't intend to use and also some table cards for well wishes as i ordered too many. Got through 2 new brochure design and print runs since then.

My 8 page leaflets and my 40 page book (for example) are from some random print companies.
    i love it when people say "Oh thats a lovely Brochure" Gloss UV on the front helps.

Anyhow this has nothing to do with websites, my original point is that your business promotion should reflect the passion and quality of the service that you provide and money should be parted with to achieve that goal. If you can do things cheap or for free with out sacrificing quality then great.
    Last edited by yourdj; 10-05-2016 at 05:49 PM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

This was supposed to be about websites not stationary but I'll let you off this time seeing as I have put it on hold for the moment

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    So you have Vista advertising on the back?
    Toby you

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    But you didn't make it clear, Toby. Mine aren't crappy, they only carry advertising on the back for me,
    Me Toby.That's Peter, aka Excalibur. Not Vistaprint. Clear enough?

As to card thickness and cost, I can't remember, but I had tears in my eyes when I pressed the " confirm and pay" icon.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk