Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Websites - Pro or D.I.Y.

Thanks mate.

As I said, I have used WP a couple of times before for blogs so I know it a little bit with reference to layouts etc.

Another question with reference to preparation...

I am still in my contract with Easyspace until the end of August which works out perfectly. I have sussed out the domain transfer stuff (easy enough).
    Am I able to create a free website and do all the tags etc and then when I need to, pay for the upgrade and go 'proper'? I like to get prepared in advance so it's just a case of upgrading and paying the fee in one go.

Also, what would be the best package? What do some of you WP users pay?
    I noticed there is a £7.00 per month and a £20.00 per month. I don't generally have lots of video on my website so the £7.00 per month appeals more but any advice would be great.

I am with Mad Hosting.
    direct from my account, that include a MYSQL database.
    Thier site is being updated , so for the time being N/A

Starter Plus yearly (Linux server) daryll.dj 1 year £20.41

Daryll
    darylldj.co.uk , serving hampshire , Surrey and sussex

I'm lost!???
    By the way mate, email coming your way soon.
    Cheers

I gave WordPress a try for my new Dorset DJ website but I found it too simple personally coming from Dreamweaver myself.

I wasted about 3 days trying to adjust a theme to be as I wanted it before I decided to go back to Dreamweaver.
    It's quite a lot more restrictive than I thought it'd be, easy enough to install on your web host. Have a little play with it and see how you feel though!

Maybe I'm being a little pedantic but how would one go about adjusting the breakpoints for navigation bar (for example) in a responsive theme on WordPress so that the navigation always fills the page until it can no longer without ever taking up 2 lines?

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Thanks again.
    And once again I am confused. I am not stupid but just getting confused. It could be that I have a lot going on at the moment with reference to this move so apologies in advance if the following is totally wrong with reference to your post.

I already have Dreamweaver. I've used it since 2005. I have never ever got my head round it properly though and just know the basics.
    I have ideas of what I want to do but can't seem to do it which is why I like stuff like WIX and WordPress because (no offence to anyone) it is almost as if they were created for dummies like me because it's akin to drag and drop.

The short explanation is that I currently have webspace and my domain name (www.shakermakeruk.com) with Easyspace.
    I want to move the domain name to either WIX or WordPress and then create a fancy website just how I want it.
    I don't need loads of space to host videos as I don't tend to take videos at my gigs (although I do have some).

Looking at both the offers WIX and WordPress have for around the same price (£90 ish a year + VAT), it is WIX that has the better offer in my opinion when you want to upgrade. However, most of you have said that WordPress is favourable.

The other thing I want to do (apologies for repeating myself) is prepare either one of them in advance and then upgrade when the time comes. The reality is...we have so much to pay out at the moment on this move that we are trying to save as much wonga as possible.

If someone has a spare few minutes would it be possible to look at the two upgrade offers (WIX and WordPress) and advise as to what they would do.
    Would really appreciate it and I appreciate the help / advice so far too.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Shakermaker Promotions View Post
    Looking at both the offers WIX and WordPress have for around the same price (£90 ish a year + VAT), it is WIX that has the better offer in my opinion when you want to upgrade. However, most of you have said that WordPress is favourable.
    Wordpress is free, it's the hosting that will cost you. I use JustHost, they charge me £4.39 per month for "unlimited" everything and I pay around £10 per year per doman. They have an offer of £2.70 per month for new customers.

It's easy to install from justhost / a lot of hosts

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

I Have 5 websites.
    One is was designed by webnation and it does ok
    The other 4 are wordpress sites. Surroundsoundsdisco is the best in the search engines but its been up and running the longest and as over a 1000 pages.
    I have a few with http://www.hortonwebdesign.co.uk/#!contact-me but these are still new, So they are slowly making there way into google.
    I do a lot of work myself with adding stuff to website as i have learnt it my self and also do my own SEO Work. I also thought wix site did not index or do well in google

Ok, thanks again but what I am not getting to grips with is this hosting stuff.

This is properly doing my head in even though I know it is simple.....

So, when I took out my account with Easyspace they provided me with FTP details etc. I used those within Dreamweaver and there you go, sorted!
    I know WordPress is free (so is WIX) but my understanding is that you get a lot more when you upgrade?

Who is my host if I don't use bloody Dreamweaver anymore?

Someone tell me in the simplest terms please before I lose it completely. Yes, I AM interested in what you use and what you pay but I want to know how I go about getting set up the same as you so I can get started.
    Some use WordPress....right fine, that's the way I'll go by the looks of it as I have used it before. I'll transfer my domain to them, great.
    So, what's all the host stuff about?

I know I said I wasn't stupid earlier but I feel it at the moment.... it's been a very stressful day with this moving stuff....that's an understatement. I won't be doing it again...EVER!

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shakermaker Promotions View Post
    Ok, thanks again but what I am not getting to grips with is this hosting stuff.

This is properly doing my head in even though I know it is simple.....

So, when I took out my account with Easyspace they provided me with FTP details etc. I used those within Dreamweaver and there you go, sorted!
    I know WordPress is free (so is WIX) but my understanding is that you get a lot more when you upgrade?

Who is my host if I don't use bloody Dreamweaver anymore?

Someone tell me in the simplest terms please before I lose it completely. Yes, I AM interested in what you use and what you pay but I want to know how I go about getting set up the same as you so I can get started.
    Some use WordPress....right fine, that's the way I'll go by the looks of it as I have used it before. I'll transfer my domain to them, great.
    So, what's all the host stuff about?

I know I said I wasn't stupid earlier but I feel it at the moment.... it's been a very stressful day with this moving stuff....that's an understatement. I won't be doing it again...EVER!
    The best way I can describe it is:

Hosting is the house you live in. It's where you park your website so it can appear online. In your case, I'm guessing Easyspace provided your hosting.

Dreamweaver/Wordpress/Wix etc. is Steve, your painter and decorator. He builds your site and makes it pretty for you.

Domain name is your house address. It's what Royal Mail/the internet know you as.

Ha! Ha!
    Ok, Ok, Ok.... I really am THAT bad am I?

I kind of just realised that Easyspace is my host and I have checked my invoice for last year for the hosting and that was £48.00 so not bad.
    The domain is with them and that was £15.00.

I think I am getting it now....albeit very, very slowly.