Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Websites - Pro or D.I.Y.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    And you'd been doing so well lately, Toby.
    Why is that? I was referring to the cheap crappy ones where they advertise on the back.
    I am sure their main paid for products are fine and good value for money?
    I use Solopress mainly for stationery so don't know.

Maybe its just me, but I find that not very professional for a modern business?
    Stationery cost next to nothing these days and a matt laminated, spot UV card with embossed lettering just simply turns me on!

Name:  vistaprint back free business card.gif
Views: 148
Size:  3.4 KB

No offence to Garys choice of platform but I also click off from "free websites from Wix" also or any site where its blatantly a free hosting etc.

Your hosting platform should have a facility to load wordpress or you can just chuck it on.
    Have a look at Youtube, or get someone savvy to help as you don't want to delete the root folder to your site do you?
    I pay a tech guy to do all the coding and moving things as its so easy to make a mistake.
    You then get an admin page and select a theme.

It will take a few days to get used to it, but when you have its so easy and VERY powerful.
    The best part is its free and you won't have to mess about with dreamweaver.

Man I wasted so much time when I used that program with HTML, wish I switched sooner!
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    Why is that? I was referring to the cheap crappy ones where they advertise on the back.
    I am sure their main paid for products are fine and good value for money?
    But you didn't make it clear, Toby. Mine aren't crappy, they only carry advertising on the back for me, and sadly, they aren't cheap. ( enough )
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Well Gary, never mind hosting issues the very FIRST IMPORTANT issue is --will your site be MOBILE FRIENDLY?

This is the way everything is going which doesnt suit me as I have lots of Frontpage sites and converting to mobile friendly is probably a PRICEY job for a pro.

If you are in for the long term you MUST go mobile friendly, as im in for short term im not bothered but I know it wont be in my favour for SEO purposes.

Wordpress certainly is ALTHOUGH I was nervous about a platform that can apparently be changed from time to time, Marc J has set me up a facility which i believe gets round this issue but after making a start on it I screwed up so im trying to make time to start again. New Puppy, Holidays, helping with the Rodeo Business.

Dreamweaver and Frontpage style which I find easy to use it certainly aint as Im finding out.

If your strength is selling your product, marketing and dj ing then it might be more cost effective to get a pro like Marc to sort something out.

My son is building a Wordpress type site through Marc but the time taken by my son is colossal and you might feel its better to pay someone else, I would say as a Wedding DJ you need a sharp well presented site to distance you from the competition and this might be the answer with a tax deductible expense!!!

Others on here seem to have mastered Wordpress Mobile Friendly styles so you might think it worth having a go yourself.

HTH
    Last edited by Shaun; 10-05-2016 at 10:29 AM.

Have a word with Marc J. Surely it's worthwhile finding out if he is available right now, and if he is finding out the costs to have him put together your site and host it for you.

When it comes to all things web related and technical you'll be hard pressed to find anyone as knowledgeable and reliable than Marc.

OK - I'll chuck my hat into the ring now

By day, I'm a web developer using the Microsoft .NET platforms (I develop very complicated business applications)
    However, my DJ websites are all done using either Wordpress or Joomla (I actually prefer the latter).

Forget Dreamweaver....I haven't used that for around 10-15 years. If you're developing a site for any of the main CMS platforms (such as Wordpress) have a look at some software called Artisteer. It's not cheap but by heck it's powerful with what it can do. You can actually configure everything in its templates and just upload your "theme" (including content) to your server. It's never let me down yet and it's so customisable with layouts etc.....I wouldn't use anything else personally.

Crazy K raises a good point about mobile friendly. Make sure if you go to wordpress purchase a "responsive" theme.

Don't worry about not getting your head around things straight away Gary. Marc J has been fantastic for me on my sites so if he's free then get him on board (makes life a lot easier).
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by DeckstarDeluxe View Post
    Crazy K raises a good point about mobile friendly. Make sure if you go to wordpress purchase a "responsive" theme.

Don't worry about not getting your head around things straight away Gary. Marc J has been fantastic for me on my sites so if he's free then get him on board (makes life a lot easier).
    Marc might be available--but certainly not "free"

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Mine aren't crappy, they only carry advertising on the back for me, and sadly, they aren't cheap. ( enough )
    So you have Vista advertising on the back?
    Out of interest, how much are they, are they matt laminated and what thickness and quantity?
    i would want them to pay me for the cards if they wanted to advertise on the back!!

This is the company i use http://www.solopress.com/products/bu...att-laminated/
    £20 for 500 x matt lam, 400 gsm is an awesome price really, turnaround is also 24 hours. No VAT.
    I remember when a product like that would be over £50, prior to digital / slick litho machines.

I love the detail you can get with spot UV: http://www.solopress.com/products/bu...matt-laminated
    Last edited by yourdj; 10-05-2016 at 01:02 PM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    £20 for 500 x matt lam, 400 gsm is an awesome price really
    I get 5000 for £35. 300gsm, double sided full colour from a company called I love flyers, good quality but not spot UV, it's nice though had some before. The problem is shifting the buggers, I've got about 12'000 business cards for different things in my possession currently haha!

Back to Gary's woes:

Firstly sorry I assumed if you had dreamweaver you would already know more advanced stuff as it's quite a vast program.

Are you able to login to tour easy space and install WordPress that way? Normally hosts gave a control panel with loads of options including installing WordPress.
    You can install WordPress alongside your current site in a subdirectory (yoursite.com/wordpress or something) and have a play around with it, that way it will not interfere with your current site.

You could then use a permanent redirect which you should be able to do from your control panel to tell the host server to send all traffic to that page from your domain name.

That's what I'd advise from what you've said anyway

Oh and responsive themes are a must! Far too much mobile traffic to ignore! There is plenty of Youtube videos about setting wordpress up etc also

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Thanks again guys.
    I think I will put it on hold for the moment but a lot of people have recommended Marc so if he's out there, I'll be in touch at some point (hopefully).