Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Controllers... what to do... what to do?

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    When you say you're still clinging onto your 'club' days, what features does a 'mobile' controller lack? About the only thing that put me off the VMS4.1 was where the mic on/off switches are. Seems to me only Denon are doing it right.

I seriously wonder how DJ controllers cost so much money anyway - especially these days (high res screen controllers excepted). There's a little microcontroller inside reading all the knobs & switches.. and some analogue circuitry but really? Have you seen the kind of analogue mixer you can buy for the same kind of money? All the clever stuff is done in our software - and there's no mechanisms or anything inside a controller... Then look at 'DJ' mixers... oh man. Ah it's for DJs. Add another zero to the price. Shocking.
    That's a good question! I think it's more the little details which I like and I know can be acheived with controllers designed for mobile DJs but it's like anything, on "mobile DJ controllers" the features exsist but they are harder to use / not intuative.

Each channel having it's own LED meter + a master LED meter.
    Filter Knob, filter button (it's like I got my old DJM800 back!)
    8 hotcue buttons.
    Needle search & drop.

Also they just seem much cleaner and intuitive.

VMS 4.1 there are like 17 identical buttons grouped together which handle looping, FX, hotcues + more.
    MC6000 does a better job but it crams a lot of buttons in a small space and some of the buttons aren't in ideal places.

Some people might think it doesn't matter what it looks like where the buttons are etc but I remember very well I nearly gave up learning how to DJ because I had a mobile DJ style Gemini CD unit which worked fine, did all that you needed but I hardly ever used it because it just wasn't intuative and essentially it wasn't fun. I'm not sure why but I decided to buy a pair of CDJ1000mk2 and I would spend hours on those and loved them but they both did the same thing essentially.

I agree about the price, especially Pioneer gear - although the old mixers and CDJs where outstanding quality to be fair I reckon the DJM600/DJM800 have a 25-year lifespan!

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Quote Originally Posted by ukpartydj View Post

VMS 4.1 there are like 17 identical buttons grouped together which handle looping, FX, hotcues + more.
    Yeah, but the Play and Pause buttons are neatly spaced at the front. All the rest are superfluous.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Yeah, but the Play and Pause buttons are neatly spaced at the front. All the rest are superfluous.
    Possibly the only DJ controller with a dedicated pause button?

Don't get me wrong, they look good and the mouse pad thing does seem a good idea As wise Scooter frontman once said - "Coffee isn't my cup of tea"

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD