Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Take the long way home.

Default Take the long way home.

> Nods in the direction of Mr Helliwell and friends >

In an age where most of us have some form of audio on demand in our motors, and aren't restricted to whatever cack you can find on the radio at two in the morning, what do you listen to on the way home? For years I have had a radio with USB capability, and when I get bored witless by what's on it, I wipe it and start again.

I recently did this, and as I wended my weary way home this morning was listening to the newly filled stick. I have fairly eclectic musical tastes, and with around seven hundred tracks currently on the stick, it's interesting seeing what comes up next. Nothing too left field had come up, until I realised the delicate and haunting fretwork of Ian Fraser Kilmister's guitar. ( Shame on you if you have to Google that. )

Yes, a spot of Hawkwind at their trippy best. It doesn't get much more Rock and Roll than driving through the inky black countryside with Sonic Attack, and Silver Machine playing loud, with the dials round to eleven

So, what's on your music player as you wind down after a gig? Currently on mine is some Folk, electric and more acoustic, courtesy of Steeleye Span, Richard and Linda Thompson, Joni Mitchell, and Fairport Convention.
    Country Rock, Eagles, Outlaws, Poco, Lady Antebellum, and the wonderful Mary-Chapin Carpenter.
    Rock? CCR, John Fogerty, Bruce Springsteen, Zeppelin, Heart, Joe Walsh and Bob Seger.
    Singer songwriters, Gordon Lightfoot, Clifford T Ward, Kirsty MacColl, and Warren Zevon.

There's usually The Tain by Horslips in there somewhere, Rod Stewart, Dave Edmunds, and whatever takes my fancy at the time.

What's on yours?
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Currently a lot of ac/dc as I was looking forward to seeing them again this year but cancelled my tickets when Brian Johnson pulled out. There's also the full set of school disco.com cds in the autochanger for when I'm in a more upbeat mood

Currently my entire collection of Steampunk, Chap-Hop, Electro-Swing & other Steampunk friendly sounds, as I have a couple of Steampunk weekenders coming up over the next few weeks & I'm for once trying to get my set into some sort of order before the event.
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

I tend to put one album on and play it continually for a week or so (sometimes I'll just repeat one track)

At the moment it's Ten Years After, last week the Yardbirds , prior to those Mott The Hoople , Funkadelic and John Mayall.

Good call on Hawkind, will have to go there next.

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Depends on the gig.

If the gig lacked dance music, I need to hear some to balance me out. If it was heavy on dance, I tend to go for some chillout style of tunes.

Other options are talk radio and blissful silence whilst I perform an autopsy if the night's events.

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    I tend to put one album on and play it continually for a week or so (sometimes I'll just repeat one track)

At the moment it's Ten Years After, last week the Yardbirds , prior to those Mott The Hoople , Funkadelic and John Mayall.

Good call on Hawkind, will have to go there next.
    John Mayall--oooooooooh!

Pure class--used to watch him live with Peter Green, Eric Clapton, Mick Taylor---those guys did a bit after their grounding with the British Blues Master

I usually play non stop Banarama on the way home--good time 80s music to keep me awake at the wheel.

One the way back from a gig, something reasonably chilled for me.

Believe it or not after a night of being deafened by the same old chooons, I normally listen to a Jazz program on the radio that's normally on air on the way home (but then I'm weird)

It's either that, or as Benny says the blissful, deafening sound of silence.

Usually LBC for some late night conversation.

It really depends on the sort of gig I have just finished.
    Usually Loreena McKennitt , spriguns of tolgus , sandy deny , steeleyed span, get the picture................lol

Cheers

Daryll
    darylldj.co.uk , serving hampshire , Surrey and sussex