Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Book keeping/ Accounting software.

Default Book keeping/ Accounting software.

Changes are afoot chez Excalibur and related households. My wife is soon cutting her hours at the Chemists, and my son is contemplating going self employed. These two things are linked in that he will not always have the time to sort his accounts, and Jeanette will theoretically have time to spare. Theoretically.

Is there any software which is easy to use for folk not well versed in Office software which would enable her to do his basic paperwork? This would be passed on to the accountant at the year end for the complicated bits.

I simply use Excel as a tool to get the info to my accountant, no more than that. My trying to teach Jeanette how to use Excel would result at best in divorce.

Failing that, I'm guessing it's an evening class for her. Advice welcomed as usual, thanks.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

I've looked into this too. I currently use a spreadsheet. Each month on its own tab (page) with income/outgoings in their own columns then they all get totted up in summary tabs - and a big one for the year end figures. You might be able to set it up so that the parts which do calculations are protected & can't be unwittingly altered. Then all the sheet becomes is a simple system of: put numbers in the right places & it spits out other numbers.

There's a web/app-based book-keeping system been touted (I forget the name) & it looks fairly simples. A tenner a month or something though. Still, cheaper than buying a fresh copy of MS Office, innit?

Also, what would be wrong with simple book keeping the slightly less than new fangled way? i.e. by putting it in a book? Not much, as far as I can see.

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post

Also, what would be wrong with simple book keeping the slightly less than new fangled way? i.e. by putting it in a book? Not much, as far as I can see.
    Nothing. Jeanette does this already with mine.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

I've tried various bits of software & they all seemed overly complicated compared to my spreadsheet. My needs are simple:

Money coming in & money of various categories going out. My sheet does all I need it to do & it's as clear as crystal. Unlike my handwriting.

+1 for excel , very simple , and you can get free templates if you want a bit more
    darylldj.co.uk , serving hampshire , Surrey and sussex

I started with Excel, does the job. However may I recommend a new fandango rather simples but once you've got the hang of it amazingly more time effective piece of fluffy white thing in the sky style of accounting :

http://www.quickfile.co.uk

Free for small businesses, altough I'm judged to be medium which costs like £40 or £50 a year.

Link bank account, PayPal and automatically adds data.
    Easy to use on phone also! Upload receipts to the cloud.

I love it, so much quicker! Excellent fast support if your having issues also! Not for everyone as it's a little more involved than filling in a couple of columns manually. I always seemed to make errors with Excel though!

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Quote Originally Posted by ukpartydj View Post
    I started with Excel, does the job. However may I recommend a new fandango rather simples but once you've got the hang of it amazingly more time effective piece of fluffy white thing in the sky style of accounting :

http://www.quickfile.co.uk

Free for small businesses, altough I'm judged to be medium which costs like £40 or £50 a year.

Link bank account, PayPal and automatically adds data.
    Easy to use on phone also! Upload receipts to the cloud.

I love it, so much quicker! Excellent fast support if your having issues also! Not for everyone as it's a little more involved than filling in a couple of columns manually. I always seemed to make errors with Excel though!
    A slight mistake:

I'm apparently a Large business (it's based on how many purchases, transfers and sales you make), you get 1000 entries for free I think I was just over it by 100 which meant it was £45+VAT per year. Considering it appears to be just as powerful as Sage etc it's quite a good price.

I also didn't mention that you can set it to do automatic bookkeeping for regular payments. For example, I pay gumtree for an advert, it picks up the transaction was similar to a previous one and asks if it should assign that payment to the supplier "Gumtree" under "Advertising" like I did last time. Click Confirm and it's sorted, they also offer a 1-click invoice post service where they print and post your invoice for less than the cost of a 2nd class stamp? I'm not sure how they manage that!

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

To be honest, I just use Excel but I don't use it to it's fullest capabilities. I use one tab for income and that tab has three columns: date of gig, invoice number and invoice amount. I then have separate tabs for expenditures (equipment, vehicle, sundries, etc) and each has three columns: invoice/receipt number, details of purchase and price.

At the end of the year, I total it all up and then forward it onto the accountant. Not as in depth as a lot of you, I would imagine, but my accountant is more than happy with that process.

I'm an acknowledged whizz with Excel at work and I do three sets of accounts (mine, the wife's and stepdaughter's).

I've got all sorts of fancy tables, analyses and graphs on them at a touch of a button.

I'm also trained to NVQ Level 4 in accountancy which also has its benefits!

I use Quickbooks.

Does everything I need and you by the sounds of it. Tracks all the ins & outs from your bank account, does all the invoices, reports etc you could ever wish for and is available on a free (thought you'd like that bit) 30 day trial

http://www.intuit.co.uk/quickbooks-accounting-software/
    Professional DJ & Event services inc Led & Starlight dancefloors, Venue uplighting

Derbyshire Wedding DJ - Wedding Uplighting, Dancefloors and Professional Wedding DJs