Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: XLR Cables

Default XLR Cables

XLR cables.

For the last 6 years I have used these and have really loved the sound, the flexibility of the cable in low temperatures and the price. The week link is the connectors, I have had two break.

http://www.lindy.co.uk/cables-adapte...le-black-p6555

I have now bought Van Damme cables with Neutrik connectors at about 3 times the price but to my ears they don't sound as good but should last and last.

Just wondered what you use and would you recommend them?

Over to you.

How do audio cables not sound as good as one another? The laws of physics dictate that you can't logically hear a difference between any cables in reasonable circumstances. All that audiophoolery is just Emperor's new clothes syndrome.

Most of my XLR cables are Thomann's The SSSSnake & the ones which aren't were made by my fair hand over 20 years ago (and still going strong!). The cables I made myself use Neutrik connectors & Canford audio HST cable. The Thomann cables.. have now all had their connectors replaced with Neutrik XLRs cos... the SSssnake ones are prone to becoming deformed if accidentally stood on

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    How do audio cables not sound as good as one another? The laws of physics dictate that you can't logically hear a difference between any cables in reasonable circumstances. All that audiophoolery is just Emperor's new clothes syndrome.
    (
    I would dispute that. In days gone bye when I had serious hi-fi changing interconnect and speaker cables changed the sound.

Quote Originally Posted by DJColsie View Post
    I would dispute that. In days gone bye when I had serious hi-fi changing interconnect and speaker cables changed the sound.
    Anybody who pays over the odds for cables will always dispute that IMHO. Hifi reviews go on & on about the tightness of bass, 'timing' and 'imagery' when realistically the changes in impedance (and thus phase & frequency response) between a cheap cable and a ££££ one will be almost immeasurable. The more expensive cable will always sound better. Because if it didn't you've been a fool spending much more than you had to

For disco cables, stick to anything with Neutrik XLR connectors & a robust, quality cable (e.g. Canford HST or Van Damme) & you'll be reet No need to pay more than a quid per metre.

Many years ago I was the proud owner of a high end separates Hi-Fi system. I went to have a look round 'Richer Sounds' and ended up parting with a considerable sum on some high end interconnects (they certainly looked the part) I got them home and eagerly changed them over from the thin cheap looking ones that came with the system. I turned the system on and guess what? it sounded just the same, I could hear no improvement whatsoever. I got a friend to pop round and subjected him to a blind test, and he couldn't hear a difference either!! what a waste of money, but lesson learned.
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

I was more interested in what other people used.

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DJColsie View Post
    I was more interested in what other people used.
    You'll get what you're given, and you'll be bloody grateful for it too!

I tend to find that Stagg works well enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    You'll get what you're given, and you'll be bloody grateful for it too!

I tend to find that Stagg works well enough for me.
    I have found Stagg cables great too.

I've used cheap skytec cables and good van damme cables, various different connectors etc and found absolutely no difference at all. For the price I found the van damme cables very expensive at my cheap skytec cables done exactly the same job.

Connectors - I do prefer Neutrik connectors as they seem to last longer, but again performance is just the same as cheaper makes.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

What you tend to get with Neutrik connectors is strength & longevity.

I've got some DMX cables of unknown provenance from Terralec & the bodies of the male XLRs are pretty much oval shaped now.

I won't claim they'll sound any different/better but they'll sure as heck outlast the majority of other XLRs out there today. My hand-made short mic XLR cable has been going since 1996. It doesn't glow in the dark anymore but hey...

I'm glad the majority agree cables don't change the sound. So many dipsticks out there, I bought a 7.1 cinema sound system and they gave me some wire to go with it... Thicker than some bike locks!

I use livewire xlrs and pulse dmx. Both seem of good quality, fair strain relief had them both for over 2 years with no issues yet.

I was given some of the worse cables ever a few months back for powering my light up letters. 4 / 12 cables required resoldering where they broke away after a fortnight!

For me a good cable has thick pvc and a well soldered connection with a fair bit of strain relief... All you need IMO

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD