Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: BPM 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    Evox 8 sounded awful. I don't know if it was the environment, but I was desperately disappointed with it.

Today I heard the FBT Vertus CS1000 at BPM and they are fantastic. Certainly wiped the floor with the Evox 8, and I am a big RCF advocate.

I wanted a closer look at Chauvet's Core 3x1 but they've been discontinued and replaced with...naff all. Righto.

I looked at the FX Par 9 by Chauvet and was very impressed with them and at 150 notes each, seem to be very good value.
    Ah well Benny, we heard the Evox 8 again at our local NADJ shindig tonight - and it was WAY better than it sounded at BPM. It was run flat from the mixer end & only default processing left on. No bells or whistles. It was impressive. Get to a dealer to have a proper listen. Something was afoot at BPM, I'm almost convinced of it especially now I've heard the evox again so soon. Seriously.

The CS1000 on FBT's stand was er, on FBT's stand so you'd likely have heard it as straight as a dealer would show it.

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    The CS1000 on FBT's stand was er, on FBT's stand so you'd likely have heard it as straight as a dealer would show it.
    Except I was the one controlling it. I ran them flar and they were really good.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    Except I was the one controlling it. I ran them flar and they were really good.
    There you go then. I think you need to give the evox another chance though. I've seriously heard it sound much better than in the PA Experience.

There you go then. I think you need to give the evox another chance though. I've seriously heard it sound much better than in the PA Experience.
    And the explanation as to WHY some sounded better than others at BPM is very believable too
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

How big was the PA Experience room? Is it the same size as an average wedding venue? It's never going to fill a huge space - and sat next to some 18 inch subs it's going to sound very lacking.

I'd love to come to BPM for the training sessions, but I'm not so sure how useful everything else is.

Why are the light displays set up to look like the X-Factor? I'd much rather displays with just a couple of lights to see how it might look for an average mobile rig.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    How big was the PA Experience room? Is it the same size as an average wedding venue? It's never going to fill a huge space - and sat next to some 18 inch subs it's going to sound very lacking.

I'd love to come to BPM for the training sessions, but I'm not so sure how useful everything else is.

Why are the light displays set up to look like the X-Factor? I'd much rather displays with just a couple of lights to see how it might look for an average mobile rig.
    The pa experience area is about the size of a smallish function room - actually about the size of the biggest room at my residency.

The differences I spotted were in quality of output not decibels. Apparently they're all lined up to output 100dB with all their processing turned off (as much as is possible via panel controls anyway).

That a yamaha, rcf, kv2 etc sounded like utter crap compared to a 250 quid speaker I think questions need to be asked. It may well be that it genuinely IS better sounding to many but by the same benchmark I've heard the Evox perform much better than it did that day. The dxr12 sounded utterly awful like it was bottoming out - not what any speaker in its class should be like at all.

As for the lighting... The show is about a lot more than mobile DJs. Indeed again, none of the mobile lighting stood out for me. The current vogue for tumbling effects of no real substance is troubling. What I believe to be ADJ's best bang for buck effect the Quad Phase HP was very conspicuous by its absence. I had to check their current catalogue to see if it's still in production (it is btw, phew!). Oh look, one of those puny gobo cross things! Oh and another but with a cluster built in. Oh look another but with a subpar jellydome bolted on! MEH.

Img opened my eyes to their take on the inno pocket range though. A diddy little scanner with 12W cree led, separate colour & gobo wheels for 115 quids?! Bright enough for the gobos to be seen on the hall ceiling (just mind) too.

I've heard the Evox perform much better than it did that day.
    The Evox running flat didn't really do anything for me. I have quite a bit of EQ running on mine, and I get quite a thump from it.

Still doesn't match what I could get from an 18" sub / 12" top system, but I can't be lumping that in (and I'm grateful to have the Evox when there's little space!)

A diddy little scanner with 12W cree led, separate colour & gobo wheels for 115 quids?! Bright enough for the gobos to be seen on the hall ceiling (just mind) too.
    I gave up on 12w stuff a year ago. I got rid of it all and spent lots of money on much higher powered equipment which makes a far bigger impact with less fixtures. Because it's higher powered, it tends to have a much wider spread, rather than a very small footprint gobo from a 12w LED.

Mine is now a minimum of 60w LED per fixture.

The Evox running flat didn't really do anything for me. I have quite a bit of EQ running on mine, and I get quite a thump from it.

Still doesn't match what I could get from an 18" sub / 12" top system, but I can't be lumping that in (and I'm grateful to have the Evox when there's little space!)

I gave up on 12w stuff a year ago. I got rid of it all and spent lots of money on much higher powered equipment which makes a far bigger impact with less fixtures. Because it's higher powered, it tends to have a much wider spread, rather than a very small footprint gobo from a 12w LED.

Mine is now a minimum of 60w LED per fixture.
    Aye , when I get my movers or whatever they're not gonna be 25W that's for sure. It should be noted yet again that it's not all about watts. It's about output. A 12W LED of yesteryear is very unlikely to be as bright as a newer model.

The PAs at the local NADJ lineup last night were all run flat EQ & they really kicked some ass - especially the Evox8. It definitely sounded very different to the setup at BPM. We know they're all SUPPOSED to be on a level playing field but I genuinely suspect they're not. There are some irregularities to explain.

It definitely sounded very different to the setup at BPM.
    I have found that the placement makes a big difference.

2 Evox's spread out by a few metres provides quite a lack lustre bass - something to do with the waves cancelling each other out.

So that could have affected it.

Plus the make up of the room (what were the walls made of, how high was the ceiling etc, will all affect the sound)

I have found that the placement makes a big difference.

2 Evox's spread out by a few metres provides quite a lack lustre bass - something to do with the waves cancelling each other out.

So that could have affected it.

Plus the make up of the room (what were the walls made of, how high was the ceiling etc, will all affect the sound)
    There was only one in both cases. Ceiling heights.. hmmm.. BPM's was lower than the venue last night. Room size etc has less of a bearing on sound when you get close, and I made sure to do that. It sounded rough as hell at BPM & didn't at the NADJ thing.