Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Powered speakers-What are yours?

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Don't get the Curv. Unless you start to flash the red lights a lot, it runs out of puff very quickly. Opinion is divided on whether that's standard operating procedure, or terminal abuse.
    flashing red light on the curv is fine as long as it dosen't its not on permenent found this out after reading the manual

We currently have
    2 x RCF HD12a
    2 x RCF 705As
    2 x Wharfedale EVP15
    Various passives in case of huge gigs for sound reinforcement.

Looking to make the RCF rig the 2nd rig with purchase of some singing drainpipes, either 2 RCF Evox 8s or 1 (or 2) LD Maui 44 but i need to have a listen to these first, Anyone heard these yet? . I've heard reports the 28's aren't as good as they look.

Also going to need something like the Maui 5 for ceremony/background duties pretty soon.
    North East Wedding DJ - www.stevenmaddison.co.uk - TWIA Regional Finalist 2019 & 2020 - The Wedding Business Awards Wedding DJ of the year (North East Region)

Quote Originally Posted by flatliners View Post
    flashing red light on the curv is fine as long as it dosen't its not on permenent found this out after reading the manual
    Really, why have a red light then at all

Mind you im always yellow lighting--but im sure my manuals dont suggest red lighting is good at any stage!

They're still not all that loud though. A total shame IMHO. Fine you might say, for really small gigs.. but for really small gigs I'd honestly be taking something much cheaper onboard.

I've got a pair of Yamaha DBR12s that I'm really happy with as my main speakers. I'd recommend them to anyone looking for a decent pair of 12" actives. My back-up speakers are a pair of Proel Flash 12AV2s that have had hardly been used up to now. I think I have only used them on one gig to try them out when I first bought them and remember being suitably impressed (although I didn't think they were quite as good as the Yamahas)

I've also got a pair of Alto Tsub12s and a Tsub15 which I use for bigger gigs.

Flashing red light on the curv is fine as long as it's not on permanent. Found this out after reading the manual
    Apparently so. We gave the man from Peavey some stick when the red lights started flashing on his demo cab at low volume levels. He too said it wasn't a fault, it just meant the system was working correctly.
    We were sceptical.

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    They're still not all that loud though. A total shame IMHO. Fine you might say, for really small gigs.. but for really small gigs I'd honestly be taking something much cheaper onboard.
    Problem is, they look as if they're designed to compete with small subs/tops combinations.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    or 1 (or 2) LD Maui 44 but i need to have a listen to these first, Anyone heard these yet? . I've heard reports the 28's aren't as good as they look.

Also going to need something like the Maui 5 for ceremony/background duties pretty soon.
    And I know folk who regard them highly. The 5 seems to impress everybody though.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Apparently so. We gave the man from Peavey some stick when the red lights started flashing on his demo cab at low volume levels. He too said it wasn't a fault, it just meant the system was working correctly.
    We were sceptical.
    Man from Peavey, he tell me the same. I've regularly run my H12's with the red lights flashing and had no problem.

Wood. Touch.

Quote Originally Posted by mattydj50 View Post
    Man from Peavey, he tell me the same. I've regularly run my H12's with the red lights flashing and had no problem.

Wood. Touch.
    This would be what I call tickling the limiter. Any further & you'll be in constant limiting which can actually increase the average power level. Which is a bad thing & can lead to nastiness

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    This would be what I call tickling the limiter. Any further & you'll be in constant limiting which can actually increase the average power level. Which is a bad thing & can lead to nastiness
    Are we talking component overload and failure OR speaker damage?

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY K View Post
    Are we talking component overload and failure OR speaker damage?
    One or the other or both! Just depends on how it's all been designed. Take a Mackie Thump for example.. they've got underrated drivers, underrated power supply & underrated amplifier components.. and let's not even mention the inadequate heatsinking. or FBT.. some of them don't spend longer than 5 minutes out of the box & they explode

EDIT: Ah but FBT's customer service is second to none. Exploded speakers get fixed in double quick time. So they get +1 point for that