Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Powered speakers-What are yours?

Quote Originally Posted by soundscapes View Post
    Alto ts215's. Dont think you will beat them as far as bang for buck goes, really punchy plenty of throw and even drew compliments from some pro singers at the weekend
    Interesting. On paper they're very impressive. I'd like to compare them to my Proels, as my Alto TS210s are very unimpressive. That story is told elsewhere in here.

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY K View Post
    As the ORACLE in Yorkshire failed to point out his favourite expression--here it is--

LISTEN BEFORE YOU BUY
    Thank you Alan. As the OP asked what we use, not what we recommend I overlooked that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    If I'm not using subs then my pair of mighty DXR15's will cope with most venues without even breaking sweat.
    And to trot out another of my oft repeated bits of advice, if I were forced to only use two boxes at every gig, they would have 15" drivers. ( And preferably be wooden, but that's becoming less vital nowadays ).

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    If using subs (and indeed my weapons of choice), then the combo of DSR112's and DXR8's have to be heard to be believed. I still can't believe such a tiny cone can produce such power, even after using them for the past 6 months.
    And if I weren't limited to two boxes, there's a strong argument for small subs and tops. I had a W Audio rig with 10" drivers which defied belief. If I'd had some lightweight amps and a can of paint, I might still be using them.

On a related note, if you're not playing Wembley Stadium sized venues, the new compact rigs fare well. Maui, Evox, Vertus etc.

It's worth deciding what most of your gigs require, and tailoring the rig to those. If you had a residency with a first floor function room and no lift, twin 18" subs are unlikely to be a good idea.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    If you had a residency with a first floor function room and no lift, twin 18" subs are unlikely to be a good idea.
    But think of the exercise!

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Interesting. On paper they're very impressive. I'd like to compare them to my Proels, as my Alto TS210s are very unimpressive. That story is told elsewhere in here.

Thank you Alan. As the OP asked what we use, not what we recommend I overlooked that point.

And to trot out another of my oft repeated bits of advice, if I were forced to only use two boxes at every gig, they would have 15" drivers. ( And preferably be wooden, but that's becoming less vital nowadays ).

And if I weren't limited to two boxes, there's a strong argument for small subs and tops. I had a W Audio rig with 10" drivers which defied belief. If I'd had some lightweight amps and a can of paint, I might still be using them.

On a related note, if you're not playing Wembley Stadium sized venues, the new compact rigs fare well. Maui, Evox, Vertus etc.

It's worth deciding what most of your gigs require, and tailoring the rig to those. If you had a residency with a first floor function room and no lift, twin 18" subs are unlikely to be a good idea.
    Fascinating stuff. Thanks again.

In hindsight I probably should have said what people would recommend too! If there are any more, recommendations would be nice also.

Thanks

I would go DXR 12's if I went fully active, although the Evox would be a nice option for styling as speaker systems seem to be going this way?
    I would also consider Bose as they look sexy and people know the brand. The new speaker systems seem to be pretty good. Compact etc.e benefits

Line array does have benefits (wedding breakfast background music for example) so I would probably have 2 systems for different applications perhaps?? I am considering getting a compact Bose to replace the DBR12 when/if they bring our a white one. The DBR 12 is a great speaker btw. not far off the DXR internals just cheaper plastic etc. The bass that come off that thing defy physics!!

Name:  yamaha_dbr15-main.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  73.7 KB

Name:  52290.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  23.3 KB

Name:  Evox-Main.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  54.5 KB
    Last edited by yourdj; 01-06-2016 at 10:20 AM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    A pair of RCF 712a for my tops. Clear, loud, pretty light and just fantastic overall.

For subs, it's a pair of RCF 905a.
    Same as above, but with 715's.

Most of the time it's Mackie 450 v2 for me and if I need a bit extra I will use RCF 705 AS Subs with them.
    I also have some DB Technologies Basic 400's which are quite nice and used for smaller venues.

I have 4 x Peavey H12's. I use 2 for the smaller of my two venues and add the second two when in the larger room. I'm lucky in having a residency where I only have to consider either/or in room space and I steer away from using subs for health reasons.

I have
    2 x rcf 712
    2 x rcf 715
    2 x db 605
    2 x rcf 905a
    2 x Bose L1 model 2 with b2 subs

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by surround sounds View Post
    I have
    2 x rcf 712
    2 x rcf 715
    2 x db 605
    2 x rcf 905a
    2 x Bose L1 model 2 with b2 subs
    John also has a side business in building demolition through sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    John also has a side business in building demolition through sound.
    Yes but i only really use my Bose speakers really