Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mood lighting

Default Mood lighting

Hi
    I am thinking of adding mood lighting to my disco set up as a means of extra income
    would appreciate any recommendations as to type of par led to use and whether to go wireless dmx or cables plus simple controller as not very experienced with dmx
    Budget is about £400 to £500
    thanks

Wired is a bit of a pain but you can get good par cans for £40 meaning your return on investment is greater.

Depends how often you think you'll sell them. I only sell mine 5 times a year roughly.

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hadyn View Post
    Hi
    I am thinking of adding mood lighting to my disco set up as a means of extra income
    would appreciate any recommendations as to type of par led to use and whether to go wireless dmx or cables plus simple controller as not very experienced with dmx
    Budget is about £400 to £500
    thanks
    To be honest your budget just isn't big enough to do wireless DMX, the lamps suggested by Benny would do the job OK, but you could only afford 6 of them, and just 6 lamps is not enough to do a decent job. Plus the £20 you would have left, would not buy you the necessary cabling to cope with most situations.
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

Default showtec tri par 7's

thanks for the replies
    I purchased some second hand showtec tri par 7's from this site (Sean I think) couple of years ago and they have just sat in my garage mostly so have decided to purchase some more of these which I can get for £56.00 each and then just different lengths of cables.
    just need to sort out a decent simple controller to run them if anyone can recommend one

Quote Originally Posted by ukpartydj View Post
    I only sell mine 5 times a year roughly.
    Thats not a lot - I probably do about 70-80% upgrade to uplighting on most bookings.

Have a look on Alibaba. I think you could do 4-5 wireless (non battery) uplighters on that budget. Remember import tax.
    Plug control into one master and use that as a wireless sender instead of investing in a wireless box.
    I have been doing just that for over 7 years now. No cables, no fuss (other than power).

https://www.alibaba.com/products/F0/...lighter/2.html

Name:  9pcsx10W-Rgbawuv-Battery-Wireless-DMX-Wedding-LED-Uplight.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  51.2 KB
    Last edited by yourdj; 04-06-2016 at 08:50 AM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

I us a chauvet obey 4 to control the quad pars I have, but since you are using Tri Pars, a Chauvet Obey 3 should be suitable and they are cheap and very easy to use, only absolutely basic dmx knowledge is required. LINK
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

To be honest with your budget I wouldn't look too much into DMXing, especially since I have found most people aren't fussed at all about DMXing and prefer just a static colour.

I still use these from Thommann -http://www.thomann.de/gb/stairville_led_flood_panel_150_40.htm which are excellent for the price and you could buy enough for most rooms with your budget.

Admittedly they are not as bright as newer models out there, but that to me is a bonus. The colour mixing however is pretty poor, never had any comments but something I notice.

These are great value too :http://www.djanddiscostuff.com/light...in-1-bag-p3032
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

http://www.thomann.de/gb/stairville_...nel_150_40.htm

Good lights they are, albeit very dated now. i would look at tri LED as thats quite cheap now as quad and cob has taken over.
    Those Obey things for a tri are brilliant.

Plug it in and away you go. The video below was shot about 5 years back and I used to wire up the whole room every gig. It only takes 5 mins and it was worth it. I am using an obey 3 and old style chrome par cans. I soon after bought the wireless battery lights and have not looked back. If you look at them as an investment, you soon realise that you can spend a lot more as you will recoup the cost in only a few events, so quality and performance far outweigh cost on this one.

It looks crap and there are health and safety issues with this approach.

Last edited by yourdj; 04-06-2016 at 03:47 PM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    Thats not a lot - I probably do about 70-80% upgrade to uplighting on most bookings.
    Maybe I'm missing a trick? It's always listed with my extras!

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD