Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yamaha DXR 8 actives

Default Yamaha DXR 8 actives

Hello Guys

Would a pair of these be any good for small party's less than 100 people on there own without a sub?

Will they produce adequate bass?

Small back of pub type rooms?

Thanks

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasPM View Post
    Hello Guys

Would a pair of these be any good for small party's less than 100 people on there own without a sub?

Thanks
    Yes and no.

I think they'll do a job, but they won't produce enough bass.

Hello Guys

Thanks
    Ask Wayne. Logically, no. But...........
    They're amazing little blighters, and I wouldn't bet against it. I ran a 12" Alto sub and two 10" Alto tops for 120 youngish people, and I reckon that number would be the maximum I'd want to use them for. Two 12" LD tops were cruising that number in a venue three times the size.

Not enough bass, Benny? Coalville suggests that's a moot point.
    Last edited by Excalibur; 14-06-2016 at 02:51 PM.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Not enough bass, Benny? Coalville suggests that's a moot point.
    I don't think that they do. They are very impressive, and fantastically powerful for their size (as are my 408s) but they don't produce enough bass on their own.

You rang?

Hmmm....my personal opinion being the proud owner of a pair of these timorous wee beasties would be no....unless you've got them sat directly on a wooden floor or the stage (and to be honest they're going to be a trip hazard then). Whilst they do produce quite a bit of bass, I personally wouldn't want to run with those alone, it's just not low or punchy enough.

If you wanted to rely on just a pair of tops on their own, look towards the 10" or even better the 12" versions. Slightly heavier and bigger but not a lot in the price in the grand scheme of things.
    Failing that, (and I'll get shot for this), you could add a lightweight QTX15" sub for under £100 to sit under the booth which will give more than enough boom to back up the 8" tops.

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    Failing that, (and I'll get shot for this), you could add a lightweight QTX15" sub for under £100 to sit under the booth which will give more than enough boom to back up the 8" tops.
    Other low cost, low weight subs are available. They sound amazing over a 15" Alto, and I'd be desperately keen to see whether downsizing to the 12" had a big effect.

Hmmm, I foresee a lot of pick'n'mix between Wayne's Yamahas, and my Altos. How I shall laugh if my Alto sub whups his Yamaha.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Thanks for the reply's

I am a bit stuck as a small child switched the power on and off while i was playing Saturday and knocked one of my alto black 15"s out,it lights up and has a signal but no sound!

Anyway i was thinking i needed a smaller set up so i was going to buy the Yamaha's however although the reviews are great the consensus is not enough bass without a sub so back to the drawing board!

Thanks

Considering some people here rock 15" or 18" active subs in pairs, yes the DXR8s on their own may not produce 'enough' bass. If you were to slim your number down from 100 to 60.. then yes maybe they'd do well without bins.

10" tops without subs is probably as small as I would go for 'up to 100' people, and I say that advisedly - not all 10" tops are alike.

I got by without a bass bin for quite a while. It was 'okay' with my Mackies (SRM450) and 'acceptable' with my Alto 15"s but since adding the bin I won't be going back to not using it if I can possibly help it.

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    Considering some people here rock 15" or 18" active subs in pairs, yes the DXR8s on their own may not produce 'enough' bass. If you were to slim your number down from 100 to 60.. then yes maybe they'd do well without bins.

10" tops without subs is probably as small as I would go for 'up to 100' people, and I say that advisedly - not all 10" tops are alike.

I got by without a bass bin for quite a while. It was 'okay' with my Mackies (SRM450) and 'acceptable' with my Alto 15"s but since adding the bin I won't be going back to not using it if I can possibly help it.
    Thanks Juski

I do have 15" tops and 18" subs however they are total overkill for about half of the gigs i do then there is the matter of space too which can be tiny in some venues.

I am now leaning towards a pair if these:

http://www.rcf.it/products/pro-speak...t-310-a-mk-iii

Thanks Juski

I do have 15" tops and 18" subs however they are total overkill for about half of the gigs i do then there is the matter of space too which can be tiny in some venues.

I am now leaning towards a pair if these:

http://www.rcf.it/products/pro-speak...t-310-a-mk-iii
    Good choice all;so have a look at QSC K10s just have a little more bass.