Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Links

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY K ROADSHOW View Post
    Hi Rice, in my ignorance of these matters---do you think is this losing you a lot of enquiries?

I have just launched a new site so am interested in things like this--

Re keywords stuffing -I have lots of that on my sites--as well as useful information scripts which contain keywords many times as well--but still get constant Google rankings--are we talking about hidden text maybe as a Google no no ?

Regards

CRAZY K
    Hidden text is a definate no no, keyword stuffing is borderline.

Matt, why would anyone put your whole URL into a search engine? Surely if they have it they would just type it into the address bar wouldn't they?

How does Chocolate fountains or discos in Suffolk come up?
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Quote Originally Posted by Ricesnaps View Post
    Not at all, it's been an issue for ages. Take my site, www.revelationroadshow.co.uk it's listed in lots of places - UK-Disco for example, but if you pop links:http://www.revelationroadshow.co.uk into Google, all I get is
    Try:

link: www.revelationroadshow.co.uk in the Google search box (i.e. "link" instead of "links" and omit the http://)

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Steve View Post
    Hidden text is a definate no no, keyword stuffing is borderline.

Matt, why would anyone put your whole URL into a search engine? Surely if they have it they would just type it into the address bar wouldn't they?

How does Chocolate fountains or discos in Suffolk come up?
    Ok, Steve, don't think I'm explaining myself here.

The problem I have is that, lets use the chocolate fountain as the example here, I have links to the website on many many other sites - all very relevant and all with good keywords in the descriptors for my link. However, when I ask Google to tell me the sites that it has records of linking to our site (using the Link: command - note Link, not links, it was a typo earlier!). When I do that for the chocolate fountain it says it has nothing listed that links to us.

However, when you type the www.addicted... into google it shows sites which have that exact link present and that exact link has been found by google. I know that noone will typew www.add... into Google, I only did that to demonstrate that Google can identify sites with out link on it.

As I am aware, Google pays much higher regard to links than it does keywords - am I right? So as Google tells me we are not linked by any other site when actually we are, what is going wrong? Why isn't google seeing it?

And to pre-answer the next question, we are linked to a number of very high ranking sites, so it can't be that Google isn't crawling the sites we are linked with.

I read the post from Richie who pointed to a site that you could pay to add you to hundreds of directories - is it therefore the case that you need humdreds of incoming links before Google will see you?

Hi Rice, in my ignorance of these matters---do you think is this losing you a lot of enquiries?

I have just launched a new site so am interested in things like this--

Re keywords stuffing -I have lots of that on my sites--as well as useful information scripts which contain keywords many times as well--but still get constant Google rankings--are we talking about hidden text maybe as a Google no no ?

Regards

CRAZY K
    Right then Alan,

I have first hand knowledge of this. Yes, the problem I had with my disco site was indeed that I had initially keyword stuffed - white text on a white background, so not visible to browing public, but to Google. Great great rankings for months and months, until I suddenly found that my Google "cached" page dissapeared. I removed the "hidden" text and waited and was luck enough to get Google back. I then did exactly what you have done and stuffed as much relevent text into the wording on my site - trying as best I could to make the text relevant, with a little extra, but highly visible at the bottom of the page - discos in Ipswich and so on.

I now have no "cached" page with Google and haven't done for a few months now! A word of waring to you and everyone else! It still gets hits from msn search and others and to be fair, I use it on all the linking web sites and publicity, so now the Google ranking really isn't that much of an issue as the site works well anyway, but I also have suffolkdj.co.uk and the wifes fountain which I want to get higher on google, but without running the risk of being removed again.

Up to you Alan, but heed the warning, if you ARE doing what I think you are, it is only a matter of time before Google remove you!

Steve said--keyword stuffing is borderline

Borderline for what though---being banned?

CRAZY K

They're not too keen on it.
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Quote Originally Posted by Ricesnaps View Post
    Right then Alan,

I have first hand knowledge of this. Yes, the problem I had with my disco site was indeed that I had initially keyword stuffed - white text on a white background, so not visible to browing public, but to Google. Great great rankings for months and months, until I suddenly found that my Google "cached" page dissapeared. I removed the "hidden" text and waited and was luck enough to get Google back. I then did exactly what you have done and stuffed as much relevent text into the wording on my site - trying as best I could to make the text relevant, with a little extra, but highly visible at the bottom of the page - discos in Ipswich and so on.

I now have no "cached" page with Google and haven't done for a few months now! A word of waring to you and everyone else! It still gets hits from msn search and others and to be fair, I use it on all the linking web sites and publicity, so now the Google ranking really isn't that much of an issue as the site works well anyway, but I also have suffolkdj.co.uk and the wifes fountain which I want to get higher on google, but without running the risk of being removed again.

Up to you Alan, but heed the warning, if you ARE doing what I think you are, it is only a matter of time before Google remove you!
    Matt, All im doing is telling people what I do and what they should do---helpful advice---according to a friend who knows a lot about these things thats exactly what Google LIKE!!!!!

Yes I leave some keywords at the bottom of the page--everyone seems to do that.

I dont do ghosting. I have no links AT PRESENT.

All I can say is I can hardly cope with all the calls and emails from the sites---

Try putting in--- barn dance caller--on Yahoo and Google and you will see--

I havent paid anyone a penny for those rankings.

Im amazed your site isnt getting noticed. Are you on permanent ban by Google--why not change your domain name--it costs peanuts.

That might do the trick.

Back to Yellow Pages ?

CRAZY K

Try putting in--- barn dance caller--on Yahoo and Google and you will see--

I havent paid anyone a penny for those rankings.

Im amazed your site isnt getting noticed. Are you on permanent ban by Google--why not change your domain name--it costs peanuts.

That might do the trick.

Back to Yellow Pages ?

CRAZY K
    To be fair Alan, there aren't a lot of people who do what you do and certainly even less who do what you do very well. Unlike disco's where there is huge competition throughout the UK, so it's not as easy to drag people in - I guess it's about building the reputation!

As for Google, YES, eventually what you are doing at the bottom of your page WILL get you removed from there listing - I learnt the hard way! I haven't had a cached page present on a google search for about 2 months now on my main site and I have removed all the offending stuff!

I have already got another domain - suffolkdj.co.uk which now has a copy of my main site on it, but most of the sites I have links on point to the original site and I do tend to get a lot of work that way - so maybe Google actually isn't that important?

However, the chocolate fountain needs a higher profile. I have had a go with that links people from Richies post with the fountain site - have bought 100 links for now to see what happens. I know Richie said it worked, but I think a few others have tried it too haven't they - any good?

Rice said

As for Google, YES, eventually what you are doing at the bottom of your page WILL get you removed from there listing - I learnt the hard way! I haven't had a cached page present on a google search for about 2 months now on my main site and I have removed all the offending stuff!

Ok I believe you--its just im hanging on to see what happens--

Far as im concerned im doing nothing illegal, unprofessional or morally wrong--just getting my name in front of people---

So im sticking with it!

CRAZY K

There is definitely something wrong with the Link: search on Google. I just tried a couple of sites that have previously come up with 20+ links but they only came up with one or two this time. Even searching for the url displayed on other sites doesn't bring up many.

It seems to work okay with Yahoo http://search.yahoo.com/