Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need some new wheels?

Default Need some new wheels?

I need a new car/MPV as my wifes one is on its way out (Zafira B).

Not sure what to get. i also have a Zafira B (design w the sport button) and its an excellent car, but am looking about for a new car of some sort as a DJ wagon, but also for the kids and dogs? Just wondering what your recommendations would be for the following:

1: Needs to be low to the ground. Zafira if fine. I would love a Range rover, but its just too high.
    2: Needs at least 5 seats, but the ability to store all my kit. Zafira seats are awesome as they slide forward to the front.
    3: Needs to look nice and fit in at a stately home or similar.
    4: Not a van, or anything requiring van insurance.
    5: Budget about 2-5k as I am saving up for a house, but could be a bit more??
    6: needs to fit a 1.5m flight case so need length and depth for that.

I think estates would be nice, but something along the lines of a transporter may be more practical and have the required space. If I go down that route then perhaps an MPV that can be used for mini holidays would be a nice option for family life. I can then buy my wife an estate for personal use. One question: would a long wheel base be a pain to park, or would a shorter one be better?? I do like the MPV's with the front cab and back section as that can be waterproofed out for the dogs. I thought about getting an ex surfy mobil for this use. Kids in the front bit, dogs/gear in the back.

I could just keep the zafira (as its a good car), sell the other one (wifes zafira) and buy an estate at the same value and be better off for it??
    In an ideal world something along the lines of this although I guess it will cost quite a bit.

Name:  vw-transporter-van-swb-diesel_34754333.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  80.2 KB

Name:  901979_RP-C-Class-Estate-30-of-83.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  83.1 KB

Thanks.
    Last edited by yourdj; 03-07-2016 at 03:26 PM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Sounds like you already have 2 x Zafiras in your household.

With that in mind, I really don't understand your reluctance to get a van?

I don't think you've got the budget for it, but the Ford S Max ticks a lot of your boxes.

But as the budget is quite low, I'd keep a Zafira for your work, and then buy something else that's suitable for your wife.

Regarding your initial parameters Toby, the Peugeot 308 fits your needs. Seven re/movable seats, three point harness on every one.
    We had one but it wasn't a marriage made in heaven. The Astra we have now suits us better.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

I used to use a Merc C series estate, nice wagon to look at and drive, but not an awful lot of space in the back, I sold it and bought a Volvo estate which has loads of load space, I can't fault it really apart from the MPG could be better in an ideal world. You should be able to find a nice low mileage one, well within your budget.
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    With that in mind, I really don't understand your reluctance to get a van?

But as the budget is quite low, I'd keep a Zafira for your work, and then buy something else that's suitable for your wife.
    I am not keen on the higher insurance. it was a good 50% more expensive when i had vans.
    I would also want more of a car, than a van really.

Yes I am probably thinking with my ego really. My Zafira is good and I could actually save money by buying an estate.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Seven re/movable seats, three point harness on every one.
    We had one but it wasn't a marriage made in heaven. The Astra we have now suits us better.
    Sorry forgot to mention I want seats that fold down. Not a fan of cars that have seat that you have to store in the garage etc.
    I suppose i am a bit spoilt with the excellent design of the zafira, you would not even know the back seats are there.

Thanks for the help.
    t maybe a
    Quote Originally Posted by Pe7e View Post
    I used to use a Merc C series estate, nice wagon to look at and drive,
    Would love a Merc, so will have a good look through auto trader, but maybe a skoda or similar would be a bit more sensible.

I shall report back when i make up my mind, with a few selections.

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    I am not keen on the higher insurance. it was a good 50% more expensive when i had vans.
    I would also want more of a car, than a van really.
    I recently moved to a Citroën Nemo van. Insurance was the same as my car. The biggest plus point for me is that my equipment is finally insured for theft from the vehicle (near on impossible to achieve the insurance requirements in a car). So I feel much happier on the occasions I have my kit in the back. Plus it handles the knocks of equipment much better.

It's not the right van for you though as it's not long enough for your trunk. But my swap to a van has been very positive (and fuel economy oddly is amazing!)

from a man who recently got a van all I'm gonna say is... Get a van, man. You won't look back. I'm getting 540-580 miles out of a tank in my 9 year old Berlingo, doing 60 odd miles a day to my day job & back. Disco wise it's much less of a game of Tetris these days.

Oh yeah the insurance thing.. I'm going through a broker where my sister works & she got me an ace deal with Aviva - about £230 a year & that's with business as the primary usage. Apparently it's not a very good idea to do it any other way.

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    from a man who recently got a van all I'm gonna say is... Get a van, man. You won't look back. I'm getting 540-580 miles out of a tank in my 9 year old Berlingo, doing 60 odd miles a day to my day job & back. Disco wise it's much less of a game of Tetris these days.
    Definitely not going for a Berlingo, I have owned 2 and a partner. I can see why they are so popular.
    I used to make my own fuel out of cooking oil and ran all three for peanuts for 2 years. Not such a problem now days.

i want a reasonably good looking black/grey van/car. If i went van i would opt for something similar the image in the first post.
    My first car was an Alfa Spider and I have gone down hill ever since, so want something half decent for personal/professional use.

I dont insure my stuff anymore, so thats not an issue. If my stuff gets nicked then i have funds to replace it (got fed up with DJG).
    This is my car at the moment. I could pimp it up a bit more and look after it better tbh as its full of dust, dog hair & a passenger side full sandwich boxes/coffees!! It drives totally different to the other zafira, its a very nice car too drive tbh, despite the wheel seals bloody going down all the time, requiring the air compressor.

To add to this, my wife has told me today that work are not letter her back on her post maternity terms so I have to also pay for her now, so a crappy estate it is then

Name:  vauxhall-zafira-2007-black-mpv-design-cdti-8v-diesel-7-seater-8dc35d9d19c6fad41b8d6c23cb540b19.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  51.4 KB
    Last edited by yourdj; 04-07-2016 at 12:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    Sorry forgot to mention I want seats that fold down. Not a fan of cars that have seat that you have to store in the garage etc.
    Toby, when does Uncle Peter ever give you suggestions that don't take account of the stated requirements? You should know better than to question my judgment.

You can fold one to five seats down flat, as you wish. You can fold the front three to act as a mini bulkhead, and removing any or all of them is another option, not a necessity. Should you wish, you can even move the blighters across as well!

Take the whole lot out, and you have a little van. In all seriousness, the entire seating system was the best, safest, and most versatile I've ever seen. Don't take that as a ringing endorsement of the vehicle Toby, the gearbox was notchy, the electrics could be temperamental, it drove like a on snow and ice, and cost us a lot of money. It does however tick all the boxes you specified.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

I have just moved from a Zafira B to a Citroen c4 grand Picasso all 5 rear seats fold flat and it has more room than the Zafira with the seats up as well as down all my gear fits in. I'm very happy so far