Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Sub placement

Default Sub placement

I have a pair of Evox 8. I love them - they sound amazing.

However, it seems to bass doesn't go out the front as well as I'd like.

Normally I'm slightly behind the speakers, which provides good bass (better than in front!)

Yet last night I was right between them - they were parallel to me. And wow, the bass was rattling my bones all night. Yet out front, it was like it wasn't there.

Why is this? I feel like I should turn the damn things round!

Is there anyway I make more of this bass go forward - it'd enable me to turn the bass down a bit then and I wouldn't get rattled all night.

May I redirect the honorable gentleman to HERE

Daryll
    darylldj.co.uk , serving hampshire , Surrey and sussex

Quote Originally Posted by Daryll View Post
    May I redirect the honorable gentleman to HERE

Daryll
    Wow, so if I understand correctly, I should have them behind me, facing the wall?

I've had them the wrong way round all this time!!!

I've read about putting them under the booth together - maybe I need to investigate this, and find somewhere else for the Evox 8 tops to go.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post

Normally I'm slightly behind the speakers, which provides good bass (better than in front!)

Yet last night I was right between them - they were parallel to me. And wow, the bass was rattling my bones all night. Yet out front, it was like it wasn't there.

Is there anyway I make more of this bass go forward - it'd enable me to turn the bass down a bit then and I wouldn't get rattled all night.
    I’ve also got the Evox 8 - I don’t know the solution but I’ve found the same problem with every RCF sub I’ve ever had, perhaps it's the nature of their design? (didn’t have the same problem with the Vertus). It does mean walking around the room a few times during the evening to check sound levels as it’s impossible to judge it properly from behind them.

Have you tried placing them much further apart, agains a wall, angled in/out etc.

But you’re never going to get trouser shaking bass from them, out front it’s a nice, balanced sound that covers the dancefloor area and isn’t too much for the rest of the room, which for most of the parties a mobile DJ will do is perfect - if you need more bass or have to fill the room to club levels then it’ll need a different system.

Yes I noticed the best place on a Marquee booking to appreciate the bass is----OUTSIDE THE MARQUEE.

A good way to solve the issue is to set your subs up on the dancefloor, turn them on and play music through the subs, find where they sound best then put them in that location (it is normally a corner or wall). It's some sorta of reverse clever sound trickery! I learnt it when doing my home sound system, they called it "the sub crawl" if I remember correctly because you crawl on the floor until you find the spot.

Use a phone and a xlr to headphone jack and it only takes a couple of mins.

With time restraints I rarely get to do this... But when you do have time

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

I think you are expecting too much from a pair of 12 inch subs. They will only be able to move the air needed to throw bass wavelengths over a moderate distance but surely enough for most places?

Quote Originally Posted by paulg View Post
    I think you are expecting too much from a pair of 12 inch subs. They will only be able to move the air needed to throw bass wavelengths over a moderate distance but surely enough for most places?
    I'm not looking to send the bass any further than the edge of the dancefloor.

I would agree with you, but I was being shaken by the bass on Saturday, it was actually uncomfortable. Even the door behind me was rattling.

Yet out front, it was like the bass was turned off.

What I was hearing where I was stood was too much - I just want that on the dancefloor, not on me!

Default Complicated

I'm not looking to send the bass any further than the edge of the dancefloor.

I would agree with you, but I was being shaken by the bass on Saturday, it was actually uncomfortable. Even the door behind me was rattling.

Yet out front, it was like the bass was turned off.

What I was hearing where I was stood was too much - I just want that on the dancefloor, not on me!
    It is a common problem and usually down to sound waves reflecting back from a solid object creating cancellation.You are hearing the refected wave but on the dancefloor (beyond the front of the sub) the out and in waves cancel each other out. You will rarely experience it outdoors where sound waves waft off into the great blue yonder and never come back to trouble you.

Wander around the whole venue and there will be places where the bass is thumping and others where it is a bit thin. Unlike a professional sound engineer, a mobile DJ has an hour or so to set up sound, lighting, and do safety checks so you should be proud of any play out that is even half OK.
    Last edited by Excalibur; 21-07-2016 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Removed duplication

Quote Originally Posted by paulg View Post
    It is a common problem and usually down to sound waves reflecting back from a solid object creating cancellation.You are hearing the refected wave but on the dancefloor (beyond the front of the sub) the out and in waves cancel each other out. You will rarely experience it outdoors where sound waves waft off into the great blue yonder and never come back to trouble you.

Wander around the whole venue and there will be places where the bass is thumping and others where it is a bit thin. Unlike a professional sound engineer, a mobile DJ has an hour or so to set up sound, lighting, and do safety checks so you should be proud of any play out that is even half OK.
    I think its been mentioned before but worth repeating as the advice is to try reversing the direction of the subs--ie back to front--this came up in a recent conversation with my local DJ shop.

Nothing to lose