Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Do I need to put the camera away?

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

So...twelve months on!

I went through a period of not using the camera at gigs, but found myself itching to do it again. In July, I bought myself a full frame camera in the form of a Canon 6D MKII, and the SigmaArt 85mm 1.4 (which is a very sexy lens). That lens, coupled with the Tamron 24-70mm 2.8 has done me well at gigs recently (although I am seriously eyeing up the Tamron 70-200 2.8 G2). Even Mrs. B and the nephew has grabbed the camera to take some snaps! I have to sort the settings out for them but once that's done, they go out and take some shots and have managed to get some pretty decent ones, in my opinion.

I've also started sending the photos to the clients as a bit of a hidden bonus for them (as in, they are unaware of it until I drop them an email a couple of days later). Each time they have been well received, but I always throw in the caveat that I'm not a pro photographers just to ensure that their expectations aren't sky high, but I like to think that it would keep them going until their photographer has sorted out the proper pictures for them.

So that's where I am. Below is a selection of some of the snaps I've taken, and I think that I've come a long way in the last 12 months.

Well done Benny. Nice results from a nice piece of kit. Just think, if a tog were to have problems, you could lend him some full pro kit to get him out of the mire.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    In July, I bought myself a full frame camera in the form of a Canon 6D MKII, and the SigmaArt 85mm 1.4 (which is a very sexy lens). That lens, coupled with the Tamron 24-70mm 2.8 has done me well at gigs recently (although I am seriously eyeing up the Tamron 70-200 2.8 G2). Even Mrs. B and the nephew has grabbed the camera to take some snaps! I have to sort the settings out for them but once that's done, they go out and take some shots and have managed to get some pretty decent ones, in my opinion.
    Very nice I've just picked up a 6D MKI (I heard too many bad things about the MKII) along with a Canon 24-70mm F2.8 so I'm now going through a similar journey. My dilemma about taking pics has been amplified by joining a bunch of photographer forums and I now purposely try and avoid using the camera when the paid Tog is in the room.

So... give us the details then? Aperture, Shutter, flash, etc?

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

the SigmaArt 85mm 1.4 (which is a very sexy lens).
    Well done thats so much better. I see you have ditched the flash in some cases I do this a lot now (its miles easier and you can get some super colourful photos suitable for our DJ promotion). I bet you can get away with the ISO on full frame and RAW. I still use 70d and jog as its easier for me (Facebook).

I almost bought the sigma 85mm the other day, but opted for the canon one at 1.8 as it had good reviews and is miles cheaper. I had my first paid event last weekend and needed something a bit more 'sniper like' and also fast and he had the Canon and said 'its been on my shelf for a year you can have it for £100' which was a complete bargain and saved me lots of time of Ebay. Funny as I was just talking to the photographer when I set up and he said a company sent him 2 x Sigma 85mm!! He said he should not have but he waited and waited and they never got in touch, so old it LOL.

I am liking Sigma stuff atm. I have the 18-35 1.8 art, which is great and had the 28mm 1.4 HSM years back and that was amazing, but I was not good enough to use it in low light at that stage. I wont be selling the 18-35 in a hurry as its terrific for the price.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    Very nice I've just picked up a 6D MKI (I heard too many bad things about the MKII) along with a Canon 24-70mm F2.8
    wow can't go wrong with that, industry standard kit pretty much. I think I will wait for mirrorless Sonys to hit Ebay before I 'upgrade'. My best shots were with the 24-105 f4. I think if I did it properly, I would stay with primes, but I made the mistake of having one camera on 85mm the other day (party drinks reception) and loads of people wanted formals (which was not what I was doing really), so can see the benefit of a second camera with a flashed up 24mm or even a zoom lens for those circumstances.
    Last edited by yourdj; 17-09-2017 at 07:03 PM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Well done Benny. Nice results from a nice piece of kit. Just think, if a tog were to have problems, you could lend him some full pro kit to get him out of the mire.
    Only if I am in receipt of a substantial fee.

Very nice I've just picked up a 6D MKI (I heard too many bad things about the MKII)
    Ah yes - the criticism of the lack of dynamic range made by people who don't own the camera because somebody else did a studio test. While studio tests are all very well and good, I tend to not take photos of dots and lines on a wall, and I have found out while taking actual pictures that the DR is fine for an amateur like me. I've gone from a 700d to a 6d MKII, and the £2k I spent on the body was a very worthwhile investment in what is essentially a very geeky hobby.

So... give us the details then? Aperture, Shutter, flash, etc?
    I'll have to open Lightroom again to get most of the details, but I can tell you that all my shots at gigs are done either at 3.2 or 3.5. I know 2.8 and lower would let in more light, but I like to have a little bit of wiggle room with my focus.

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    Well done thats so much better. I see you have ditched the flash in some cases I do this a lot now (its miles easier and you can get some super colourful photos suitable for our DJ promotion). I bet you can get away with the ISO on full frame and RAW.
    With the 700d, I couldn't get past ISO 800 without the noise pixels being the size of Legos. I can comfortably push the 6d MKII to ISO 12800 now, and probably more if I wasn't so anal about the noise. You are right though, Sigma is producing some excellent glass at the moment and Tamron is doing some great stuff too. I'm not a pro, so I cannot justify paying for a Canon L Lens but from the reviews I've been reading of the Tamron and Sigma stuff, they have lenses in their respective ranges that really stand up against what Canon & Nikon produce and while the big boys are better, you'd still be chuffed with the results you can at what is - at times - half the price.

Ah yes - the criticism of the lack of dynamic range made by people who don't own the camera because somebody else did a studio test. While studio tests are all very well and good, I tend to not take photos of dots and lines on a wall, and I have found out while taking actual pictures that the DR is fine for an amateur like me. I've gone from a 700d to a 6d MKII, and the £2k I spent on the body was a very worthwhile investment in what is essentially a very geeky hobby.
    I did think that as well - and wondered why Canon would release an new version that didn't improve upon the original in some way, shape or form. The other thing that drew me to the 6D MKI was the price... I picked up a nearly new (shutter count of < 500) 6D MKI and the Canon Lens for considerably less than you paid for the body

I'll have to open Lightroom again to get most of the details, but I can tell you that all my shots at gigs are done either at 3.2 or 3.5. I know 2.8 and lower would let in more light, but I like to have a little bit of wiggle room with my focus.
    I'd be really interested to know the exact details (lens length, f stop, shutter, etc) - I would have put most of these at F4 or above based on the depth of field.

With the 700d
    I went from the 7D which was no better than 700d or 100d and really stopped producing usable results in natural light around ISO800 as well. The 6D is waaaay better. I just wish someone had said "full frame" to me years ago...

I'm not a pro, so I cannot justify paying for a Canon L Lens but from the reviews I've been reading of the Tamron and Sigma stuff, they have lenses in their respective ranges that really stand up against what Canon & Nikon produce and while the big boys are better, you'd still be chuffed with the results you can at what is - at times - half the price.
    I've gone from a Sigma 17-70mm f2.8 which retails at about the £400 to the Canon and the difference is startling. Admittedly, it wasn't one of the higher end Sigma lens, but the Vignetting and image distortion is obvious when you compare them side by side. I'm not pro either - I think I'd describe myself as an over-enthusiastic amateur

Very nice work

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

I've gone from a Sigma 17-70mm f2.8 which retails at about the £400n
    I think the quality is probably retrospective to the price. I have had one of the half decent zoom Sigmas - I think it was 18-55 2.8? - it was that OK I have completely forgotten. The Art stuff from what I hear from other photographers and my own lens is something else. Although the prime I had was really great (1.4 28mm), shame I sold it. I almost sold my Tokina 2.8 11-21mm and thought - hey stop, this is an amazing lens, you will need it at some point (it is amazing for video).

As it happens I am setting up a photography side business doing only what I love and not really caring about what or how many customers I get, which I think is a good way to go. I really need to spend a lot of time using the camera and watching a shed load of Youtube videos also. Creative arty business portraits and fun event photos is what I like.

I'll have to open Lightroom again

With the 700d, I couldn't get past ISO 800 without the noise pixels being the size of Legos.
    Not ever edited a photo post production. I need to get on to that really, but I like to think I can take a decent pic using histograms even on my 100d and 24mm pancake (its actually amazing for what it is and SO tiny). I can certainly see the benefits of light room, especially when doing it for a job. I have creative suite on a file on my computer, just need to install it!

Some of those photos look over 800 ISO? I have been pushing 4000 recently with my DJ lighting as a light source and it actually looks quite cool on 1.8, but it would only work with that sort os aperture really. Doing the focusing is tough, but I have been doing it for 4 more more years now. 2.8 is not too bad really especially if you have the flash to help you select.

I need to go full frame though as I can understand how much better that must be especially in low light. 6D is a very good camera for the price. I might wait for the Sony digitals to go down in price though.
    Last edited by yourdj; 19-09-2017 at 12:00 AM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    Not ever edited a photo post production. I need to get on to that really, but I like to think I can take a decent pic using histograms even on my 100d and 24mm pancake (its actually amazing for what it is and SO tiny). I can certainly see the benefits of light room, especially when doing it for a job. I have creative suite on a file on my computer, just need to install it!
    You are massively missing out. Shooting in RAW and then editing that RAW file in Photoshop (or Lightroom) opens up a whole new world.

That's where I find you can take a good photo in to a great photo. I shoot on the basis I'll be editing the RAW file, so I bring the contrast right down (-3 on my Nikon) which gives me more range and underexpose (easier to bring up something that's underexposed than it is to recover something that's overexposed).

When you see what control you get over the RAW file, you'll never want to go back to shooting JPEG again.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    When you see what control you get over the RAW file, you'll never want to go back to shooting JPEG again.
    Pretty much this. I like to crank up the contrast I'm my photos, especially the black and whites. JPEGs look too flat in my opinion and I'd rather decide how my photo is processed than leaving it up to the camera.

I'd be really interested to know the exact details (lens length, f stop, shutter, etc) - I would have put most of these at F4 or above based on the depth of field.
    Right then...can't be arsed uploading ten pics again with the relevant data, so I'm afraid that you'll have to bounce back and forth in the thread.