Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do I need to put the camera away?

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Default Do I need to put the camera away?

Recently, I've been taking my camera to gigs that I have not performed at before so I can blog about them and create a search term on my website.

My intention for these pictures is solely to stick on the website. I'm not selling these pics as an extra service, nor am I going to blow them up for promotional material. In an ideal world, I would have photographers send me pictures for every gig I do in return for a mention and a link back to their site, but sometimes they don't want to do that (and that's fine, of course - it is their decision).

I know these pictures are not 'pro quality', but are they good enough for me to continue with this path (whilst also improving my own photography skills in the process - win/win, and all that), or are they not good enough and actually make my site look amateurish?

Blog One
    Blog Two
    Blog Three
    Blog Four

For those that go hunting, you will see that some of my earlier blogs have (in hindsight) really bad pics and I am in the process of rectifying those, but my question is that is my current level of photography good enough to sell my service, or do I need to stop for now and try again after I improve further?

Haven't looked at your pics yet Benny, can't multitask that much. These records don't play themselves, you know. I can only use point and shoot cameras, so complete numpty really. At what point your snaps become saleable, I don't know, but on the odd occasion I've been snapping away, clients have been pleased to receive a cdr of pics later. Doesn't cost an arm and a leg( cheaper still with internet sharing programmes ) , but may be perceived as going the extra mile, can't hurt surely?
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    I know these pictures are not 'pro quality', but are they good enough for me to continue with this path (whilst also improving my own photography skills in the process - win/win, and all that), or are they not good enough and actually make my site look amateurish?
    Benny, I fear you are a very similar person to myself.

I have high standards and want to achieve those high standards in every area. And if my pics aren't the same quality as the photographers, I feel they're not good enough - even though realistically, I'm not going to achieve the same quality as a pro photographer, otherwise I'd be doing that!

But in my head, I know how I want the photos to look, and get frustrated when I can't achieve that, but often get very close.

And that's what you've done - you've got very close to the quality of a pro photographer, so I think you can be very proud of your photos. In fact, there's likely some "pro" photographers going out for silly low prices producing the same quality shot as yours.

I think they look great - maybe try and get some more action shots of a packed dancefloor, and less so of the equipment set up at the beginning - people want to see the results

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    maybe try and get some more action shots of a packed dancefloor,
    So many witty answers, but is the least insulting.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

it seems to me you have a really good eye for this. There's some lovely natural looking shots that capture a moment really well. And, in my view, nicer than the usual shots of a busy dancefloor. I do agree that there are probably too many kit shots though.
    As an aside.I like the way those SubSafes look with another speaker above. They just improve the aesthetic of the stack somehow.

I think your shots look pretty good Benny, certainly better than some 'pro' photographer shots I've seen lately. As others have said, I don't think customers want to see pictures of kit. Heck some mobile DJs have more kit photos than hire companies

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

The reason I pop rig pics in there is because I do get asked sometimes how the night would look, so I've become accustomed to adding in a 'token' image at the end of the blog (after all the dancers and smiling faces are put front and centre), but I'm a bit fed up of taking pics of the setup, to be honest.

Would I be right in guessing that the reason for this feedback of having too many rig pics would be down to the blog about the Barnt Green Inn?

Definitely passable photos that do a great job of selling your service

Just one comment - watch out for guests in unflattering poses. Ladies don't usually appreciate it when you catch them hiking up their bra

Out of interest - what the camera, lens and flash are you using?

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

I have been doing this for years, I take my camera everywhere with me and use on websites etc

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    Out of interest - what the camera, lens and flash are you using?

Julian
    Canon 700d body with a 50mm 1.8 lens and a Sigma EF-610 flash.

On a regular basis, I look at the Canon 5d MKIII and have to talk myself out of buying it.