Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Do I need to put the camera away?

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    are they not good enough and actually make my site look amateurish?
    I think the photos are well composed, its fun taking pictures, especially when you start using different settings on Manual and see the difference. Your photos of your actual events are far better than stock photos, but without any amazing ones a combination of the two would be the better option. Photos are very subjective, so as long as you are pleased with them thats all that matters.

My main opinion is your use of light is not great as they are too dark (are you using a flash). 1.8 should get some decent photos with minimal lighting, but I think a flash also s a good bet to minimise noise. Having a narrow depth of field is also a challenge as some shots are not focused correctly. I found going from an f1.4 sense and using 2.8 with good use of bounce flash was much better. I also tend to use a shutter speed of at least 1/100, but typically 1/200th (up to 1/1500 for the photo below - outside). ISO as low as possible, but typically about 3-400 outside & 1000 inside to allow for less flash.

My opinion is if you get involved in taking photos you may run the risk of neglecting what you are there for (Djing), or get in the way of other suppliers / look unprofessional. I tend to occasionally do a bit of photography with my assistant Djing, but not very often. I usually take a couple of pics on FD and during the party, but thats about it.

Here are some photos from 2013 i took, I have improved quite a bit recently just by using the camera more. Have a look at the Tokina 11-21 2.8 lens its great for wide angle. Another one of my favs is the 24mm / or / 40mm pancake. Very cheap (£100) but also very sharp. Never used photoshop or RAW, just what came out of the camera. http://yourdj.co.uk/gallery/

They are not great, but i think being a bit crap is a good thing as its more real.
    I was using an L 24-105mm during a lot of those photos and the pro level lenses really make a difference.

I have been practicing in Spain recently and took some really nice photos of my baby, 70d / 24mm pancake.
    Would have benefitted from a bit of flash own the face, but happy with the sharpness & background blur (can't spell bokre).

Name:  IMG_0398 copy.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  44.5 KB
    Last edited by yourdj; 15-08-2016 at 11:19 AM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Some from the parties if you are interested.
    My clients find the theming pics useful as they can see what other people are doing.

I have thousands to sort through from weddings after I created these galleries. I will get round to it one day!!

http://yourdj.co.uk/everybody-dance/
    http://yourdj.co.uk/theming-ideas-2/
    http://yourdj.co.uk/all-day-pics/
    Last edited by yourdj; 15-08-2016 at 11:38 AM.

I think there is nothing wrong with the quality of those photos. I go against the grain a little but also think some photos can be ‘too good’ and unless you acknowledge the photographer who taken them are often discounted by brides – let’s face it everyone knows you can easily buy some good photos.

If using for online promotion though video is the way to go. Again nothing too flash – in true Toby style, here is a video from last Wednesday my son done. No editing or nothing, but does the job. He done an edited version which I am hoping to use at fayres etc.

Of course if you can get the photographer to send a few snaps it is a bonus (and quite a rarity). The difficult thing too is to get some good shots without upsetting the tog or getting in the way.
    Name:  hayley and christopher.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  58.3 KB
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    Again nothing too flash – in true Toby style,
    Nice video great work and lighting. Looks just like mine really, they have been designed to be non flashy and "this is what you get" which has always been my thing as its so hard to imagine the entertainment, so giving someone a video in their own venues is a bit helping hand to them not to mention - "hey lets book him". Having some short transitions would work well as it does not blend well.

Doing more of the couple game for a few questions (or what ever people call it) would have added more advantage, but its a wonderful video, showing what you do with no pre production. That would worry me a bit as a prospective bride, having the bride in shot at all times (even though she may have been outside at some points) is key IMO. good work I say. doing the game really shows that you are in control and that you are different, i just feel its a bit short as its a main focus on the party (I have had someone request it recently, but I don't like doing them m,much personally).

Like the photo although, I am not a fan of fisheye photos personally, but can see the allure.

I want to replace my Tokina 11-20 with a 10mm sigma but not sure if it will be fish eye. I was attracted by the 2.8f throughout, but don't really use the zoom much, so would rather use my other prime 24mm. Sigma is also better than Tokina, but it is a very sought after lens and non are available second hand, so will get a good price. I was thinking of the L series 14mm, but its stupid expensive and not as wide as the 11mm Tokina, which is not far off on the specs.

I have to say the "togs" used to treat me differently with my other L lens, its a bit like a photographer pulling out a pioneer set of decks from his car i guess, but I don't even talk photography with them now, unless they bring it up first as its annoying as there are so many uncle bobs with their 5d's now thinking they are running the show and getting in the way (plus probably a lot of DJ's!!) so usually wait until i have invited couple on and make my move in that 10 seconds, when they are still on the floor.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-14mm-.../dp/B000V9F3BG

This guiser is brilliant, although he sounds like a simpleton:

Name:  31fsCmvvhDL._SX355_.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  7.4 KB
    Last edited by yourdj; 15-08-2016 at 06:16 PM.

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    I think they look great - maybe try and get some more action shots of a packed dancefloor, and less so of the equipment set up at the beginning - people want to see the results
    Quote Originally Posted by musicology View Post
    I do agree that there are probably too many kit shots though.
    Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    As others have said, I don't think customers want to see pictures of kit. Heck some mobile DJs have more kit photos than hire companies
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    Just one comment - watch out for guests in unflattering poses. Ladies don't usually appreciate it when you catch them hiking up their bra
    Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    My main opinion is your use of light is not great as they are too dark (are you using a flash)
    Ok, so I've taken what you all have said on board (and thank you for the feedback - it is really appreciated). I was at a venue last night that I didn't have a search term for on my website, so I grabbed the ol' picture-taking machine so I could make a blog about it and have tried to do what have you all suggested.

So, with that in mind, do you think that this blog's photos are more suitable?

I really do think you have a talent for this. Really good moment captures!

I'm just insanely jealous. Well done that man.

The first piccies shown were good, you've only had to tweak things a bit, not rip it up and start again.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    Ok, so I've taken what you all have said on board (and thank you for the feedback - it is really appreciated). I was at a venue last night that I didn't have a search term for on my website, so I grabbed the ol' picture-taking machine so I could make a blog about it and have tried to do what have you all suggested.

So, with that in mind, do you think that this blog's photos are more suitable?
    I unfortunately have the same opinion. Too dark, too much noise (prom a high ISO).
    But the timing and composure is still great. Better photos in that respect.

With some tweaking they would make good arty shots.

Thats just my opinion, what a potential client thinks is key.

Is this on Auto, program or full manual?

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    I'm just insanely jealous. Well done that man.

The first piccies shown were good, you've only had to tweak things a bit, not rip it up and start again.
    Thanks, gents.

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    I unfortunately have the same opinion. Too dark, too much noise (prom a high ISO).
    But the timing and composure is still great. Better photos in that respect.

With some tweaking they would make good arty shots.

Thats just my opinion, what a potential client thinks is key.

Is this on Auto, program or full manual?
    It's full manual mode. I think (DISCLAIMER: Workman blaming his tools) it is a case of the fact that the camera and lens doesn't deal with low light fantastically well (I maxed at 400 ISO, with most being 200 for this particular gig), hence why I keep eyeing up the 5D. What would you suggest?