Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: e bay issues

Quote Originally Posted by stormproductions View Post
    OK, I'm going to chip in here briefly with a little bit of finger wagging at you.

You say 5 year olds can use ebay and it's the users who are the problem, yet you're creating some of the hassle yourself.

The buyer is perfectly within their rights to pay by Paypal and it's you who's wrong by asking for cash on collection. Yes it's really annoying sometimes, but that's the way it is. Ebay have loads of rules and yes it takes some time to read through them, but most of them are sensibly there to protect ebay and both their buyers and sellers. If you can't be bothered to play by the rules then you're a time waster too.

We don't know the details of your listing. Was it stated in the listing you needed it collected within 7 days or did you tell him that afterwards? If you did, then contact your buyer (people have lives and don't always live on the internet) even if you've decided they're a muppet. If you didn't, then why get yourself wound up, just wait for them to arrange collection.

If you can even contact ebay, they're likely to say contact your buyer as a first stage. So why not do that? Or open a dispute, where they give the buyer a chance to resolve it or you can then cancel and get your fees refunded.
    As much as I respect Crazy K, I agree with this, but on the same hand Ebay can be tough at times as it does have a lot of muppets.
    I find its down to what you are selling, how its listed and good communication, but good you have come on here for advice.

For the sake of 99p I would just chuck out the tow bar if no one wants it on Facebay and the likes.
    I would assume it specific to a particular vehicle, which will make it hard to sell. Give the guy a week and then resist on gumtree etc.
    Last edited by yourdj; 26-08-2016 at 11:51 AM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by stormproductions View Post
    OK, I'm going to chip in here briefly with a little bit of finger wagging at you.

You say 5 year olds can use ebay and it's the users who are the problem, yet you're creating some of the hassle yourself.

The buyer is perfectly within their rights to pay by Paypal and it's you who's wrong by asking for cash on collection. Yes it's really annoying sometimes, but that's the way it is. Ebay have loads of rules and yes it takes some time to read through them, but most of them are sensibly there to protect ebay and both their buyers and sellers. If you can't be bothered to play by the rules then you're a time waster too.

We don't know the details of your listing. Was it stated in the listing you needed it collected within 7 days or did you tell him that afterwards? If you did, then contact your buyer (people have lives and don't always live on the internet) even if you've decided they're a muppet. If you didn't, then why get yourself wound up, just wait for them to arrange collection.

If you can even contact ebay, they're likely to say contact your buyer as a first stage. So why not do that? Or open a dispute, where they give the buyer a chance to resolve it or you can then cancel and get your fees refunded.
    The buyer was TOLD cash on collection in the listing.As in CASH ON COLLECTION.

Perhaps he cant read.

Im not an ebay person as you can tell but im sure that if WE specify the method of payment as xxxx it doesnt follow that the BUYER then decides how he is going to pay. Unless theres an e bay rule.?

i know certain people on here who stipulate the buyer pays such charges--dont blame them.

If I was wanting Pay Pal it would have been indicated together with a note that their charges are borne by the buyer.

i dont need paypal. As its now happened I have now incurred pay pal charges I didnt ask for.

The amount is a pittance, its basic rules im more concerned about.

He was advised after a delay in communication that we needed the space so please collect in 7 days, I dont think thats unreasonable in a commercial transaction.

Im going to take the wise advice above and others (Toby and Funky Mook) on on here and cancel the sale if he doesnt collect in another 7 days giving due warning, its not reasonable to have to wait for ever.

Maybe ill try gumtree as well.

As a final indicator this has failed to ring my mobile despite a request about 10 days ago.

Ok, I think it's time to make a comment on here after my previous attempt at word-play!

Alan, I don't understand why you didn't just chuck it in the bin in the first place if you just wanted rid of it and were prepared to accept as little as 99p (or even 66p after PayPal charges). You would have had a lot less hassle and there wouldn't have been a need for this discussion. Hindsight is a great thing I suppose but you live and learn.

Or if you really must see it go to a new home then stick it on Freecycle. Whilst you get timewasters on there, too, I reckon with such a specific item you'd only have received enquiries from those who genuinely wanted it.

But I really reckon you're way off track by suggesting charging for storage. Take that one to small claims court and I think they'll say "We'll you've got the money (there's been no refund request) and you've got the item so you're in pocket. What's the problem?". Trying to get more money out of it would, and should, be seen as a no-no.
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY K View Post
    Unless theres an e bay rule.?

"All sellers on eBay.co.uk must offer PayPal as a payment method. "

http://sellercentre.ebay.co.uk/choos...s-youll-accept

i know certain people on here who stipulate the buyer pays such charges--dont blame them.
    And that is also against paypal rules.

I’m beginning to think ebay isn’t for you

Quote Originally Posted by Vectis View Post
    "All sellers on eBay.co.uk must offer PayPal as a payment method. "

http://sellercentre.ebay.co.uk/choos...s-youll-accept

Yes it does but there is nowhere were it say that PayPal 'must' be the only method accepted, a little further down the page you will find the following:

These payment methods may be offered in addition to PayPal:

Credit or debit card processed via the seller's merchant account
    Bank-to-bank transfers (also known as bank wire transfers and bank cash transfers)
    Payment on collection
    Cheques
    Postal orders
    Online payment services: Allpay.net, cash2india, CertaPay, Checkfree.com, hyperwallet.com, Nochex.com, Ozpay.biz, XOOM

I've no problem with accepting PayPal for items I can send by a courier (signed for service) but to accept it for a high value transaction where the (unknown) buyer collects the item from you is inviting fraud or being subject to a 'charge back' if the PayPal account holder denies the legitimacy of the transaction. If it was a 99p item I'd sold and I insisted the buyer collected, I'd make an exception, but then again I wouldn't have listed such an item in the first place. eBay is a great resource for both buying and selling but it has its share of criminals waiting to take advantage of its relative anonymity, like boxers are told before a fight, protect yourself at all times.
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Pe7e View Post
    Yes it does but there is nowhere were it say that PayPal 'must' be the only method accepted, a little further down the page you will find the following:

These payment methods may be offered in addition to PayPal:

Credit or debit card processed via the seller's merchant account
    Bank-to-bank transfers (also known as bank wire transfers and bank cash transfers)
    Payment on collection
    Cheques
    Postal orders
    Online payment services: Allpay.net, cash2india, CertaPay, Checkfree.com, hyperwallet.com, Nochex.com, Ozpay.biz, XOOM

I've no problem with accepting PayPal for items I can send by a courier (signed for service) but to accept it for a high value transaction where the (unknown) buyer collects the item from you is inviting fraud or being subject to a 'charge back' if the PayPal account holder denies the legitimacy of the transaction. If it was a 99p item I'd sold and I insisted the buyer collected, I'd make an exception, but then again I wouldn't have listed such an item in the first place. eBay is a great resource for both buying and selling but it has its share of criminals waiting to take advantage of its relative anonymity, like boxers are told before a fight, protect yourself at all times.
    Thanks for clearing that up--Pay Pal is not necessary it would appear--its probably a restraint of trade or something similar---certainly not complying with Unfair Contract terms Act I would suggest.

To sum up, -- I wasnt asking if I was suitable as an ebayer or anything connected with the sale.

I simply needed guidance in the event of a duff buyer---which I have now received.

Thanks guys I know what to do now.

Let's be honest Ebay is a HUGE pile of.... With PayPal it's even worse. They've got their own stupid rules and act like incompetent police.

What can you do though? Its such a useful tool, you've just got to accept that some idiot will bid on your item and claim he has no Idea what your talking about weeks later and this will happen every now and again.

Gumtree / other websites maybe much better for large cash on collection stuff.

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Thanks for clearing that up--Pay Pal is not necessary it would appear--its probably a restraint of trade or something similar---certainly not complying with Unfair Contract terms Act I would suggest.
    Jeez, you mess up on your first listing for some scrap you want shifted for nothing and now you think you’re an expert.

Paypal must be offered therefore any buyer is quite at liberty to use it regardless of what other payment options you list, and if it was an unfair contract do you not think someone would’ve spotted that by now Sherlock?

Millions of people (myself included) have used eBay and Paypal for many years and never had an issue - I think the point of failure here is you not reading or understanding the rules. Perhaps a postcard in your local shop window would be a better option for the future?

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    I think the point of failure here is you not reading or understanding the rules.
    I'd say it was more with ( other ) people not taking notice of requests and what's on the screen. I had two disco customers pay me by Paypal, even though I don't offer that.

Right boys and Girls, I think we've covered all the salient points, so for that reason, I'll close it. Thank you.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk