Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: C-Ray/8 v Evox 8

Quote Originally Posted by deanoakley View Post

The sound from the C-Ray/8 was amazing and was the first time I'd seen a set up like that.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Haven't seen or heard that one, but it will have to go some to beat the undoubted class of the field, the Evox. If I got the price right, it's in the same area as the Maui 5. Might be worth comparing them.
    Well tomorrow there will be a side by side test of the Maui and C-Ray. I'm led to believe there's not a huge gap performance wise, nor price wise. Sadly, there won't be an Evox there. We'll keep you posted. Most of the IMG range is likely to be run against something similar as well.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Never heard the c-ray, but I have heard the Maui and would not think it suitable for a disco unless in a very small room.

We had a bit of a head to head of a few similar systems at our NADJ meeting and my personal opinion was the Maui was great for ceremony, afternoon and really small rooms, the bose l1 we had was really loud but lacked in quality of sound, the evox I thought was better than the other 2 only outshone slightly by the FBT vertus which of course is quite a few quid more.

I bought the Evox and find the easiness off it a great bonus (the top fits in the bass bin and you can carry 2 in 2 hands)
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    I have heard the Maui and would not think it suitable for a disco unless in a very small room.
    Interesting. Every time I've heard a single Maui I've thought it punches well above its weight, ( unlike the Curv, which seems underpowered. )
    There are people using the Maui for discos, but not surprisingly they aren't playing Wembley arena on a regular basis. In the past few months I've had a raft of gigs where the Maui would have been perfect. On one occasion I resorted to 8" cabs on speaker horns on the Micromax.
    This afternoon will tell if I can safely replace the 10" Altos which have done 75% of my last gigs with a Maui. Keep you posted.

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    Never heard the c-ray, but I have heard the Maui and would not think it suitable for a disco unless in a very small room.

We had a bit of a head to head of a few similar systems at our NADJ meeting and my personal opinion was the Maui was great for ceremony, afternoon and really small rooms,
    Hmmm im working Thursday through a resident DJs system at a Hotel, they use a Maui system apparently.

I think he was trying to impress me.

Could be interesting as my usual choice of weapon is Peavey UL15s and my new best friend a bass sub.

Maybe its a small room

We've used a pair of Maui 28s for several years now, and they actually fill quite decent-sized rooms very nicely. We've also got a white Maui 11 for ceremonies, but we're also looking for a use for the newer Maui 5s so we can justify buying a pair, which, IMO, sound lovely and do pack a big punch for their size (and price point!)

It really does depend on the sort of work you do, and the type of sound you like: I actually prefer the Mauis to systems such as the FBT Vertus, because, to me, the Mauis are a little warmer and rougher (a little more like live music) as opposed to the more clinical sound of some others.

Last year (at least I think it was last year) SEDA did a 'stick' showdown, with as many of the systems as possible lined up and demo'd next to each other, so I have heard most of them. The Evox 8 certainly is a great system, although I do know quite a few DJs have traded up to the Evox 12 since that came out, as they felt the 8s didn't quite make the grade for some of the rooms that they did (but again, we're back to what suits the events you do). I haven't had the pleasure of hearing the C-Ray system though.

There is also another player in the market that has since come out that I would love to hear, and that's the Turbosound Inspire... which has entered the market at a very interesting price point!

I believe the Maul 28 G2 (the second generation) is due out by the end of the year, should have been Q3!

That is 650w rms per side with a new class D amplifier and waveguide giving better distribution. Also, beacause of the new amps it is 5kg a side lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY K View Post

Maybe its a small room
    Alan, not all the LD rigs are low powered, by the time you get up to the 44 it's quite a beast.

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Entertainment View Post
    . but we're also looking for a use for the newer Maui 5s so we can justify buying a pair, which, IMO, sound lovely and do pack a big punch for their size (and price point!)
    Funny you should say that. Three guesses who is in a similar position, except he now has a pair of 5s in the back of his van. I have a feeling he'll be sharing his findings soon.
    It really does depend on the sort of work you do, and the type of sound you like: I actually prefer the Mauis to systems such as the FBT Vertus, because, to me, the Mauis are a little warmer and rougher (a little more like live music) as opposed to the more clinical sound of some others.

I haven't had the pleasure of hearing the C-Ray system though.
    Angela, I share your feelings about the Maui 5, which is one reason why I've got one. It's always impressed me when I've heard a solo unit, and now I've heard a pair I'm no less impressed. Time will tell.
    I can now say I have heard the C-Ray, and for me the sound is a little too harsh, especially against the Maui. Andy hopes the C-Ray will have a touch more oomph, making it suitable for larger gigs. Me, I preferred the Maui by a long way. As we always say, sound is subjective.
    Last edited by Excalibur; 18-09-2016 at 08:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Alan, not all the LD rigs are low powered, by the time you get up to the 44 it's quite a beast.

Ill see what they have for me to use Thursday

Another thing to remember when considering the stick systems (and I'm particularly speaking about the Mauis here as that's what I have most experience of) is that, from your position at the front, if you're used to a traditional box system, you'll find it quiet, but the sound is distributed much better, so it carried far more evenly throughout the room. A few months ago a DJ used our system and, initially, complained that there was no way he would be able to create a good atmosphere at those volume levels. However, after he walked the 'room' (good sized marquee, actually), and all around outside, he changed his mind, since it could be heard throughout at good levels - oh, and this was with the bass turned down a little and a automatic volume control limiter fitted in the chain! (ie the system was reigned in quite a bit)

Another thing to remember when considering the stick systems (and I'm particularly speaking about the Mauis here as that's what I have most experience of) is that, from your position at the front, if you're used to a traditional box system, you'll find it quiet, but the sound is distributed much better, so it carried far more evenly throughout the room. A few months ago a DJ used our system and, initially, complained that there was no way he would be able to create a good atmosphere at those volume levels. However, after he walked the 'room' (good sized marquee, actually), and all around outside, he changed his mind, since it could be heard throughout at good levels - oh, and this was with the bass turned down a little and a automatic volume control limiter fitted in the chain! (ie the system was reigned in quite a bit)
    In our little test today, the 10" Altos produced more noise at close distances than the Maui. As Angela quite correctly says though, that noise will drop away quickly with the point source cabs, whereas the " stick " rigs produce a much more even sound, with less variation in loud and quiet spots.

I'm itching to take the Mauis out, and sod's law dictates I've had this week's gig cancelled. The one I have in a fortnight is tailor made for them, happily.