Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Small PA for series of wine bar gigs.

Default Small PA for series of wine bar gigs.

Ok people interested in your thoughts.

For some time now I have been considering buying some smaller lighter speakers for back up and small/house parties. I was thinking 10inch and about 10-12kg. In emergency they could be paired with 1 or 2 existing RCF subs.

Just been to see a wine bar / Mediterranean restaurant that are looking for 4 Friday's in February and all dates are presently free. To say room is a challenge is an understatement. At basement level with all exposed brick walls (and alcoves/booths) plus solid slate floors. Plus only about 2-2.5m width to set up in and about 8/9 foot high ceiling. Only really want acoustic or duke box sound levels.

Pay levels reasonably good all things considered. Thinking a good chance to buy and use smaller speakers.

Little bit of research and these two look interesting.

https://www.djkit.com/alto-professio...FdEYGwody3QKgg

And

https://www.djkit.com/alto-professio...-.html?cat=247

I am sure I could research prices and find bstock or better deals but interested in what you would chose or any alternatives.

I’ve always liked RCF 310A’s - over the years I’ve had a few pairs and they’ve always performed well on their own for small parties or background music, they’re a very underrated speaker in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    I’ve always liked RCF 310A’s - over the years I’ve had a few pairs and they’ve always performed well on their own for small parties or background music, they’re a very underrated speaker in my opinion.
    I agree or QSC K10.

To be honest, I could just stretch to the 310a but the QSC K10s are to expensive for speakers that are probably only be uses 2/3 times a year. I use RCF HD12a for my main speakers and have no intention of changing them.

Just wanted something cheap and light for small gigs.

Quote Originally Posted by DJColsie View Post

Just wanted something cheap and light for small gigs.
    Ah. With a pair of 310s coming in around £600 or thereabouts, then even the smaller Maui systems are out on price.

Yamaha DBR10s are about the same price as RCF, and worth a look.

An LD Dave12 comes in around the same budget, and the sub ought to ensure a reasonable low end performance, even though the tops are smaller.

Food for thought, I hope. Hopefully, if you get the right system, you may find it gets more use than you expected.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

I did this exercise before Xmas because I needed a spare PA that I could use for smaller gigs and I had enough work coming in over Xmas and NYE to get another rig out a few times. I've auditioned RCF 310's before and I worked a gig before Xmas with a small Jazz band who had a pair of Alto 10's. I also went into my local shop and listened to Yamaha DBR10's, FBT X-Lite 10's, FBT J8's and the HK Nano 600.

I walked out of the shop with the HK because, in terms of sound quality, it blew the others away and it's so small and light that you can take it anywhere with one hand. However, I think it's out of your price range (£800 + cables + stands + bag?)

My personal thoughts on the others (remembering that sound is subjective - always listen before buying!):

Alto 10's - they sound like they're priced. Cheap (£300 or so!) They're not very loud, and I heard them being used for live Vocal's and they didn't flatter the singer. However, I've also heard a pair being used in a hall with chart music and they can move a surprising bit of air.

FBT J8's - Still in my book an astounding little pair of speakers for the money. Obviously much more capable when paired with a sub, but amazingly loud and quite smooth for 8" speakers. I borrowed a pair of these from a friend before Xmas and ran them with a RCF 705 sub in a small room and they sounded lovely. I also heard them in use in a similar config with a DB sub on NYE and again I was impressed. They do hold their own very well without a sub at lower volumes.

FBT X-Lite 10 - Getting louder now.... For a 10" speaker, they're loud. They also get pretty harsh in the mids when they're cranked and the bottom end isn't much better than the J8's. Built in multi-channel mixer and DSP

Yamaha DBR10's - slightly more expensive than the X-Lite's, slightly louder, but otherwise, on a par with FBT X-Lite's. Built in multi-channel mixer and DSP.

To be honest, I was disappointed with the Yamaha's and the FBT's, I was expecting more from them. My first vote goes to what I bought, the HK Nano 600 (it's baby brother, the 300, is worth a look if you want something cheaper and don't need it to rattle teeth).

If you want two single cabs, go for the RCF ART310's, they're very capable little speakers and they sound great. Otherwise the J8's would get my vote!

Hope this helps a little

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Ah. With a pair of 310s coming in around £600 or thereabouts, then even the smaller Maui systems are out on price.

Yamaha DBR10s are about the same price as RCF, and worth a look.

An LD Dave12 comes in around the same budget, and the sub ought to ensure a reasonable low end performance, even though the tops are smaller.

Food for thought, I hope. Hopefully, if you get the right system, you may find it gets more use than you expected.
    You have just summed up my whole sound system there.
    Dave 12 sub, 310 passive satellites & DBR12 yamaha as backup/reinforcement.

Not sure if thats a good thing?

Personally for a wine bar I would look at a second hand line array assuming you have to play background for some of it.
    It would also fit in with the swish vibe, especially the white ones.

Failing that 2 x DBR10 yamaha, going by the 12's that should be plenty for a small space.
    Last edited by yourdj; 25-01-2016 at 10:33 PM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

After hearing one demonstrated tonight I’d recommend you have a listen to an LD Systems Maui 5.

A single one filled a large venue with a sound much bigger than it’s small size would have you believe, I had to go and check the other demo speakers weren’t also on.

Thanks guys.

The 310s look favourite seeing as I have RCF subs already.

Has any one heard the Alto Trouper? Thought they might look sort of line arrayish even on a pole on top of a sub. The Bluetooth facility could come in useful for ceremony music at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    After hearing one demonstrated tonight I’d recommend you have a listen to an LD Systems Maui 5.

A single one filled a large venue with a sound much bigger than it’s small size would have you believe, I had to go and check the other demo speakers weren’t also on.
    That would be a really good call Martin, were it not that it is about 25% over the stated budget. I see that's a new model, and it looks very interesting. I could see it being very useful for ceremony music and the like.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk